Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Possible issue with mountune springs??

OP
S
Thread Starter #42
Mountune never did anything about my springs being off level sent pics to California sent pics to their techs in the Uk and nothing. Then they wouldn’t answer the phone when I called and no I didn’t blow there phone up. When I installed my h&r springs the were perfect right out the box !!

Mountune never did anything about my springs being off level sent pics to California sent pics to their techs in the Uk and nothing. Then they wouldn’t answer the phone when I called and no I didn’t blow there phone up. When I installed my h&r springs the were perfect right out the box !!
You were having issues with the fronts too, right? My fronts seem fine, but I also replaced the oem struts with bilstein B8's.

I've had trouble getting a hold of people at mountune as well. Been waiting since December for a downpipe from them.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
It is interesting the rear twist beam got thicker as that would make the car far more prone to oversteer. Couple that with softening the front and the car should be twitchy with such a high rear wheel rate vs front. Of course, if the rear springs were softened, then the balance could be back to where it was before. The heavier spring beam would also increase unsprung weight. If anything, I could see Ford switching the ST over the standard car's twist beam as a cost cutting measure and reduce the amount of unique parts. A thicker twist beam shouldn't affect the ride height, but will change the handling. Typically, the additional thickness is added in the direction opposite of mounting points.

It is interesting the rear twist beam got thicker as that would make the car far more prone to oversteer. Couple that with softening the front and the car should be twitchy with such a high rear wheel rate vs front. Of course, if the rear springs were softened, then the balance could be back to where it was before. The heavier spring beam would also increase unsprung weight. If anything, I could see Ford switching the ST over the standard car's twist beam as a cost cutting measure and reduce the amount of unique parts. A thicker twist beam shouldn't affect the ride height, but will change the handling. Typically, the additional thickness is added in the direction opposite of mounting points.
One of the things I've noticed about this car is that it does have very sharp turn-in and quite a bit of lift off oversteer. Although I've never driven a pre 17', so I don't really have a good basis for comparison, perhaps that's just how all of these things feel.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that they were now using the st200 beam on the the 17' and up cars? In any case, my thought is that since this is a different beam, its possible that they may have slightly altered other properties of it as well. Maybe the spring perches are in a different position relative to the earlier axle? Its difficult to quantify without having both axles to take measurements of, so I think the best I can do at this point is to just try a different set of springs to see what happens.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
hard to tell what all is changed. I would try another set of rear springs and see what happens. Another option would be to see if the ST200 rear aftermarket springs are different than the normal ST in Europe. If the aftermarket springs for the ST200 are different and the 2017+ cars have the ST200 rear twist beam assembly, then there is a chance the perches are different. A good place would be to check HR's website in the UK to see if they list different spring part numbers between the ST models and then compare those to the US website's part numbers.

I do think the easiest solution would be to try a different set of rear springs.

With this feedback about mountune, I don't think ill order anything from them
I'm not going to come in here and flame them. They're a small operation. I've worked in the industry and know how it is for smaller aftermarket companies.

With that said, I have purchased several of their parts and can say that there are probably more cost effective options out there that would more than likely fit/function just as well as their parts.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Im experiencing uneven wheel gaps with my 17 fist and mountune springs. The driver side is about 1/4" lower than the passenger. Tomorrow im gonna swap the rear springs and see if it make some difference before I buy some new H&R springs.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Did you take baseline measurements of it stock? Mine was not even when it was stock. It was slightly less than 1/4", but that's how it was. Car had less than 2000 miles when I measured it.

Was about to start a new thread but stumbled upon this one. Wish I would have found this one first...

Anyway I have a 2016 that I just installed Mountune springs on this past weekend. The front ended up about .75" lower, and the rear lowered about .25". This was measured after a couple of days of driving..about 60 miles or so. As a side note, I did notice that the Mountune rear springs were a little taller than the stock rears. I know there's other factors there for compressing and whatnot, just found it interesting.

Needless to say I am not impressed or pleased. Anyone made anymore headway with this? It would seem with the differences in the 2016+ cars that it should be across the board, not just Mountune. Anyone tried other springs to verify that drops are not consistent as found on 2014/15 cars (and maybe early 2016)?

I've been in communication with Mountune.

4/19 - They asked if they could send me a new set. I said yes.

4/24 - They said that they are checking into the springs more and that they are going to "make this right" for me.

I've received no updates since.

I have a set of swift springs on backorder in order to test my hypothesis from earlier in the thread.

Interesting...Wonder if this made them actually look into the application rather than just say it would work on 2016+. Very interested in your findings with the Swift springs as well and if they come in about .5" shy of what the rated drop is.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I had a 2015 ST owner comment on my YouTube page that his car sits higher in the rear with the Mountune springs. He is baffled and so am I. It is almost like there was a batch made wrong and that would explain why there are so many issues all of a sudden with the rear springs.

I had a 2015 ST owner comment on my YouTube page that his car sits higher in the rear with the Mountune springs. He is baffled and so am I. It is almost like there was a batch made wrong and that would explain why there are so many issues all of a sudden with the rear springs.
Did your set actually say "Eibach" anywhere on the spring? Mine do not, they only say "mountune" and a part number. I have a suspicion that mountune is having these things manufactured in China.

jeff

2000 Post Club
I used your install to guide me when I installed my Mountune Springs. When finished, my fronts set just a tiny bit higher than my rear, maybe 3/4 of an inch if that. I looked extensively at your pictures and correct me if I’m wrong but yours seemed to have the same minimal difference.

So my swift springs arrived today. I didn't have time to do the fronts, so I tossed the car onto the lift and swapped out the mountune rears only. I also reinstalled the powerflex spring insulators.

My baseline measurements on the mountune springs were 24.75"L & 25"R. Basically the same height as my stock measurements. Swift + powerflex are 24" R+L. Measurements were taken from the crown of the wheel arch to the ground.

I also noted that there is a difference of approximately 2" in the free height between the mountune and swift rear springs.

At this point I think it's reasonable to conclude that the mountune springs that I received are incorrectly manufactured / out of spec. I still have not received any follow up from mountune with regards to this issue.

For anyone that is following this, here is the response that I received from mountune today.

"Hello,

We where able to see that there was a change in the suspension from 13 to 17. The purch/pad that the spring sat in changed and gained about an inch. Which is what was causing the rear to no lower. Did you want to return the springs and get a refunded?"

I guess that's what they're going with.