Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Top Gear: Mini Cooper S vs Ford Fiesta ST

Fiesta ST News

Staff Member

John Cooper, famous Mini fiddler and F1 designer, may have been somewhat horrified by the car that now wears his name. For if you pop the new Mini Cooper S into Sport mode, you are told by the display screen to expect - and I quote - 'maximum go-kart feel'. Two cartoon thought bubbles appear by a picture of the car, one filled with a go-kart and the other with a rocket. Should you feel less racy, our German friends (this is a BMW Mini, remember) have programmed a different message: Green mode, for low-consumption driving fun! The whiff of cheese is strong enough to make old John turn in his grave. This is sad. Because his name is legend, as are most cars that wear it. We've always liked Coopers, especially the S versions and fizzy Works specials. And going by our recent first encounter, the new-gen Mini - the basic one - is very likeable. Can this new S model keep up the good work and uphold the Cooper reputation, despite the silly drawings?

First it must face the Ford Fiesta ST. Issue 255 of Top Gear magazine was dedicated to supercar killers, and there is no better way to murder a Ferrari down a greasy lane than with the little Ford. It's our current Car of the Year, and we make no apology for banging on about it. If the Mini is to pull off the same trick, this is the standard it must meet. Which is why we're lining them up on the Welshest of Welsh roads to see which one kicks the most butt. Both have four-cylinder turbos. Both will do 0-62mph in a smidge under seven seconds. The Mini makes 189bhp; the Ford makes 182bhp. They start life ?1,665 apart, but the gap widens further when you work in some options. Where the Fiesta tops out at ?17,995, the Mini can romp on to about ?23,500, like the car we have here. The question is, do leather seats and cartoon rockets really matter when you're in the thick of a meaty corner? Let's see.

Read more on Top Gear...

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I agree with all of this. The price is the worst of it. One thing not mentioned ? And maybe it should not be, since they are not comparing "tuner cars"..... That 2.0L in the mini ? Its a sleeping beast. The same motor in the 328i makes 300whp on E85 with JUST A TUNE. Just saying.... When the mods are bolted on, that mini maybe the first mini ever to me a MONSTER.

Even with modding considered, I'd take the fiesta's 2700lbs curb weight and driving dynamics.

Odd they didn't mention the mini GP also. Although, it will be very rare, and cost $40k...

airjor13

2000 Post Club
I still away from Mini's like the plague....as a matter of fact all BMW's circa 2010 and older I stay away from like the plague

Etyrnus

Nifty, overpriced, and beginning to get bloated. BMW is trying to fancy them up too much. And that 2.0 isn't making much more than the previous 1.6 liter.

I am DDing a 2005 base mini while I wait for my Fiesta ST to get here (looks at watch and tapping foot). Its fun to drive but has no power when you need it most like when you just know that douche in the lane next to you is going to cut you off. It has also had so many issues over the years.

Also I feel like a turd driving a mini. Unless its for autocross I still feel like its a chick car.

TheStig

My co-worker who has been in several different restoration shops in his past working on everything from turn of the century Bugatti's to 1960's muscle cars. He has the misfortune roughly 6 years ago of putting hands on a Mini-Cooper and will never touch nor own one ever from that point. Long story short it was a bosses daughters car, mini wouldnt touch the issue it had so he was asked to troubleshoot it. Basically the power windows, locks, and moonroof stopped working, all together, all at once. Apparently they were all wired up to the same circuit and it took the power window regular motors with it.

A 2 hour job in a normal car (find issue, get parts if local, fix issue) became a 2 day issue since he had to replace alot of the other electrical components that went. Under warranty Mini turned their noses up at it, so ill avoid them like the plague aswell.

Glad they finally figured out the speedo goes in front of your eyes not center of the damn dash.

I traded in my 2008 MINI S for my FiSt I love my mini still but the price and reliability killed me, I was always fixing something and the thing killed my bank account. Though the gas milage was a bit better than my FiSt. I miss the MINI but the FiSt was the best next option to owning one. The MINI looks and drives wonderfully though I do miss it. But the FiSt was definitely the best other option. I have no regrets about buying my FiSt.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Guy at work has a cooper S. He was just quoted $1300 in labor to do the water pump...

I paid $1700 for the water pump through the dealer. $700 every 40000 for carbon build up $10 a month for a qt of oil cuz it would burn oil but the dealerships kept saying a qt a month was normal for the mini..... It sucked loved it but way too expensive for all of these things.

CanadianST

It's too bad that yet another car is getting the "bloated and full of tech" aproach to a redesign. I personally love the FiST's level of tech. I'm the kind of guy that would have ordered it in manual everything including windows if I could though.

Mini's haven't been Mini's since John Cooper...blame BMW for your woes...he'd puke if he could see what happened to his beautiful, light, great power to weight ratio, fast intended, great handling race car...and I am supposing that is why we have former owners lauding the abilities of the FiST...not supposing, actually, because that is what we have...a great handling, fast car...with tech to boot...it is THE BEST CAR on the road right now...and then add Randy's tune...and you have, without a doubt, THE BEST CAR period.....................................that was a lot of periods for effect..ha ha

PCA-1

It's a BMW. Welcome to the world of expensive fixes for things that shouldn't go wrong.

LATEBRK

I had a 2002 Mini. Loved the car but it was a train wreck of broken parts. I just bought my ST and am really enjoying it, so we will see how it compares in the coming months.