Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ideal tires for cold & rainy conditions?

Looking to pick up a new set of tires (and possibly wheels) for my ST. I live in the NW and this is my primary driver. It will see a lot of sub 60* temps and rain. It will also get driven during the summer where it can get hot but aside from some back road hooning, I don't ever see these being "overheated". I will likely get a dedicated winter setup so not really concerned with how the tires will handle the white stuff, but more so looking for something that will be excellent when it's 45-50* outside and raining.

I have always hated All-seasons due to the no-season stigma, but after going through this same debate last fall with street tires for my Mustang I decided on the BFG Comp2 A/S and couldn't be happier. I had it narrowed down between those and the Firehawk Indy 500, but ultimately decided on the all seasons in hopes that they would handle the rain better and I did not want to buy a dedicated winter set. These BFG's defy physics when the road is wet and I love it. Naturally I'm back between a set of these for the Fiesta or the Indy 500's. This time around there will be winter tires on it (preferably separate wheels too).

Anyone have other recommendations for a potential tire to suit my needs? My next question is related to wheel size. I really like the Maxxim Winner, but not sure on 16" vs 17". I'm all for less rotating mass, but this isn't my racing vehicle so I don't know if I care that much about that. I think the 17" look better and there is not much of a difference in prices for both tires and wheels from what I've found.

In an ideal world, I would put winter tires on the stock wheels and then the other 3 season tires on the new wheels. However I also know that 15" wheels would be a better option for winter tires but then there is more money for wheels. Trying not to buy two sets of both wheels and tires right now. Lol

Zormecteon

I'm up in Kelso, so I know the weather conditions you have to deal with.... ... I put Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s on the car as soon as I bought it, and am now on my second set. They have nearly as much grip in the summer time as summer only high performance tires, and I really haven't seen any difference between that performance and driving in the wet during the winter. .. They are acceptable in the light snow we get around here. The AS3+ came out a month after I bought my latest set. (my second) .. I won't run anything else. Available in stock size. ..

YMMV

my 2¢

A7xogg

the new conti extreme contact sport has been great to me in the rain. it drives like its 100% dry out. and the same if not more grip in the summer temps. how cold is it usually in winter in Vancouver?

Honestly my Hankook Ventus RS4s are amazing in the wet. I live in NC and during the summer and all through fall it's rainy, damp, and cold. They work great. But the wear is high.
edit; I should also add that when I say wet I mean misty and light rain.

I just put on the pilot sport AS3+ And they have been great so far I'm only running on them for a couple days and the grip well in the wet this weekend will be the real test

OP
Speedboosted
Thread Starter #6
We usually have pretty easy winters with temps normally in the 40s and wet. Last winter was brutal and we got tons of snow. I'm more worried about early spring and late fall climate. Today for example...it poured for damn near an hour straight and was in the low 40s.

My only hesitation about summer tires is their performance/tread compound when the temperatures are low. I've heard that a quality summer tire is better in the rain than an all season however, but again a 60* rainy day isn't my concern. It's those 40* days that took out my last car, which is why I'm putting so much thought into this.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Honestly my Hankook Ventus RS4s are amazing in the wet. I live in NC and during the summer and all through fall it's rainy, damp, and cold. They work great. But the wear is high.
edit; I should also add that when I say wet I mean misty and light rain.
The problem is that these are a 200 tread wear max performance tire which WILL start to 'go away' when the temps drop below 45*F, and will actually freeze, and be damaged (as far as the stickiness of the compound goes, and actual cracks forming in the tread/shoulder), when it stays at or below ~35*F.

These are also only available in 3 sizes (2, 15", 1, 16") which we can even use on these cars. :(

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've heard that a quality summer tire is better in the rain than an all season however, but again a 60* rainy day isn't my concern.

That depends on the tread PATTERN of the pure summer tire.

I'd rather have a hard, 'tready' all season, than a sticky slick gumball in the driving rain with deep puddles.

Now something CRAZY like a Hoosier DOT Wet tire has BOTH (a full, deep rain tread pattern, and super glue stickiness), but they cost a king's ransom, and will last about 1000 miles on the street IF you are easy on them and lucky, and yes, they turn into blocks of ice below 45*F as well, and are INSTANTLY rendered useless if they even see a DRY 32*F.

It's a shame BFG/Michelin does not make the Comp 2 AS in our 205/40-17 factory size (although many on here love them so much they use the 205/45s anyway), but for your use, in the exact factory size, you cannot go wrong with the Pilot Sport AS/3s, as stated above.

IF it were not for your heavy rain worries, I would suggest the Nitto Neo Gens, but they do not look like the best tread pattern for torrential rainfall, albeit a better rain pattern than most of the 200 tread wear autocross tire class.

The problem is that these are a 200 tread wear max performance tire which WILL start to 'go away' when the temps drop below 45*F, and will actually freeze, and be damaged (as far as the stickiness of the compound goes, and actual cracks forming in the tread/shoulder), when it stays at or below ~35*F.

These are also only available in 3 sizes (2, 15", 1, 16") which we can even use on these cars. :(
Yea of course, but luckily for me temps don't go below 50 degrees until late winter. I have 205/45/16 RS4's, I don't have stock wheels.

OP
Speedboosted
Thread Starter #10
Neogens seem to be a popular option, how are they in the cold and rain? It's a rather aggressive looking all season tire. Can't see it being worth a shit in light snow.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Neogens seem to be a popular option, how are they in the cold and rain? It's a rather aggressive looking all season tire. Can't see it being worth a shit in light snow.
According to Rick (RAAMaudio) they are very good in the cold dry weather, and decent in the rain.
I cannot see them being very good in HEAVY rain, and would not drive on them in even light snow, due to the very max/extreme performance summer tire-like tread pattern.

OP
Speedboosted
Thread Starter #13
Just ordered a set of 205/45/17 Continental DWS06 to put on the factory wheels. If I can find a good deal on a set of nicer 17" wheels I will simply toss them on them but I'm happy with the price ($404 shipped on eBay from Discount Tire). Being a few pounds lighter per corner should help alleviate the taller sidewall.