Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

205/50-16 vs. 205/45-16. ??

I recently started to Autocross my 2017 FiSt in HS, still in development stage. I got some decent results locally on used 205/50-16 Re71R's (thanks to Mike King). Even at small locations I find myself upshifting to 3rd gear more that I would like.
Looking at Phillip Mitchel's results, he had done pretty well on the 205/45-16's.
What are your opinions?

Thanks

Andres

According to TireRack, the 205-45-16 tire has an overall diameter of 23.2" and 897 revs per mile.

The 205-50-16 tire has an overall diameter of 24.1 and 865 revs per mile.

The 50 tire is taller than the 45 tire. If you find yourself getting above the power range and shifting into 3rd a bunch, you would probably need a taller tire. You can pretty easily fit a 215-45-17 tire in there, 24.7" diameter and 845 revs per mile.

I can't speak to your driving habits, but I find I am slower when I attempt to shift up or down. Leaving it in 2nd usually gives me the fastest lap times, even if I am revving close to the limiter or lugging down a bit.

Last edited:
only time you should get into 3rd is on a track. you lose time for each shift

I'd love to take this car onto LRP. ;) [driving]
I had my mustang on Pocono & NY Safety Track. LRP scared me a little with the mustang. Now the FiST, I might make that happen this coming season. I live so close, how can I not