Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clear coat issue

J82

Hello,
Has anyone had any issues with their clear coat peeling or cracking? I noticed this small section on my driver's side rear door. I took it to the dealer and it isn't covered under warranty. It seems crazy that the clear coat would do this when the vehicle is a 2014. Is this common with the FiST or Ford's in general?

PAINT.jpg

Is your car still covered by the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty?

OP
J

J82

Thread Starter #3
No, unfortunately I am at 39k in mileage already.

It should be if it was still within the 3yr/36K range. But you're out of that into only the powertrain warranty so they are only going to cover powertrain faults.

Did it start as a scratch in the paint or other damage or did it just peel? Either way that's no bueno.

OP
J

J82

Thread Starter #5
I never noticed any scratches or imperfections in the paint. After my last wash is when it became obvious. I bought the car with 10k miles on it and everything came back clean on the vehicle reports. I had this looked at by Ford and another body shop and both said it looked like factory paint. Ford quoted me $1000 which is ridiculous. The other shop will do it for $500, so I will go that route. It really bums me out that it is necessary on a 2014 vehicle.

Are they refinishing the whole door? If yes, they'll be painting a lot more than the door to get a match. There are outfits that specialize in small paint repairs. Every car dealership has one come by to fix stuff the dealers screw up. Maybe you can find one and they can just rough it up with 2500 grit then apply new clear coat.

OP
J

J82

Thread Starter #7
The dealer and independent shop both said they would refinish the whole door to get the best match. The shop said they would remove the door so they didn't have to tape off the entire car. It didn't sound like the dealer would take the door off like the other shop

I'm not an expert but I know enough to know that it is very hard to get a match on a single door or panel. That's why painters blend with areas around the respray. I think you should check with a local shop that you know does good work and ask them if they would just paint the door without blending it with the front door and rear quarter.

OP
J

J82

Thread Starter #9
I appreciate the feedback. I will take it to a few other shops in the area so I have a couple of options.

zanethan

I'm not an expert but I know enough to know that it is very hard to get a match on a single door or panel. That's why painters blend with areas around the respray. I think you should check with a local shop that you know does good work and ask them if they would just paint the door without blending it with the front door and rear quarter.
^This! But some people on this forum have a very different opinion on that.

Getting just the door resprayed will be noticeable to the naked eye no matter what some members on here will say.

Last edited:
Maybe they will not re-spray the color but just the clearcoat. That should not be a problem then.