Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Has anyone tried these headlights?

Diode dynamics just came out with a high performance led headlamp for low beams that is designed for use I reflector housings like our stock housings and not for projector style. They're normally 150 I got them for 120 for the pair on Cyber Monday and it's a preorder they will ship Jan 12. Read up on them on their site I highly recommend for anyone looking for a nice light upgrade with no glare in stock housings and plenty of good looks and additional light to use. I've had issues with my hid and decided to just go this route as it would be better all around anyways in stock headlight housings. I will post pics when I get them in Jan and install them.

Edit* they are called sl1
Please post your testing using a lux meter with before and after. From 50', 100', and 150'

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

LILIKE16ST

Please post your testing using a lux meter with before and after. From 50', 100', and 150'

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Forgive my ignorance on the subject but what exactly is that? What is it intended to do?

Forgive my ignorance on the subject but what exactly is that? What is it intended to do?
It will show if they work or not. I have tested many headlights, hid, led, drop ins etc... and haven't found any pnp LED bulb in a reflector housing that can produce more lux in the hotspot down the road at the 100-200' range where you actually need your lights to provide suitable illumination. Its also important to test the lux produced above the cutoff as that glare/scatter might appear "ok" but a 5-10% increase can be quite substantial and this also lowers humid night/rain/fog/snow visibility.

There are apps for your phone that don't work well, but for a comparison are ok. You park, find the hotspot, measure the lux at the hotspot right at the cutoff, then to both sides a few feet apart (as if measuring the width of 1-2 lanes), then swap the bulb and repeat at the same spots. Then move back 50' and repeat, etc etc... From all of the tests I have already done the intensity at close distance is greater, however once you exceed 50' it diminishes rapidly, except in the spots of the beam pattern that don't provide down road illumination such as high and off to the sides, straight down onto the roadway in front of the car, up and above the cutoff, or by creating a low hotspot that means it is angled down into the road at 25' or so.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Diode dynamics just came out with a high performance led headlamp for low beams that is designed for use I reflector housings like our stock housings and not for projector style. They're normally 150 I got them for 120 for the pair on Cyber Monday and it's a preorder they will ship Jan 12. Read up on them on their site I highly recommend for anyone looking for a nice light upgrade with no glare in stock housings and plenty of good looks and additional light to use. I've had issues with my hid and decided to just go this route as it would be better all around anyways in stock headlight housings. I will post pics when I get them in Jan and install them.

Edit* they are called sl1
Yes, PLEASE give a review as soon as they are installed, as THIS is something I would consider over the whole conversion thing, and over the totally incorrect LEDs in our factory housings. [wink]

LILIKE16ST

I will try to get some testing done. I understand what you guys are saying but you really should check these out on their site. They talk about all the stuff you guys just talked about and even show an example of the cutoff on a wall vs stock and vs a lesser led. You can see the other led glares noticeably but the cutoff on the sl1 looks basically identical to stock. Diode dynamics have top notch products I've bought several things from them and if anyone can pull this off it is them. The glare is known on these fiesta headlights to not be as bad as with other cars so with that in mind and what I saw on their site I have no doubt these would be a great option and an improvement in visibility without glaring much if any. We shall see.

LILIKE16ST

I'm no expert on this subject by any means and I'm not real good with the technical terms but you guys should read up on their site about these new sl1s. They seem to have really attempted to pick up where others have fallen short on this and figure out a way to make this work and work well.

*edit*

Here they are https://www.diodedynamics.com/feature/sl1-led-headlight.html

I will try to get some testing done. I understand what you guys are saying but you really should check these out on their site. They talk about all the stuff you guys just talked about and even show an example of the cutoff on a wall vs stock and vs a lesser led. You can see the other led glares noticeably but the cutoff on the sl1 looks basically identical to stock. Diode dynamics have top notch products I've bought several things from them and if anyone can pull this off it is them. The glare is known on these fiesta headlights to not be as bad as with other cars so with that in mind and what I saw on their site I have no doubt these would be a great option and an improvement in visibility without glaring much if any. We shall see.
Yes, Marketing 101, find the worst competitor you can find and compare your best example you can produce or manipulate... I don't see lux testing... so therefore its all useless information, and is that tested in a fiesta headlight? probably not, so again, 3rd party testing is the only thing that actually matters.

LILIKE16ST

Yes, Marketing 101, find the worst competitor you can find and compare your best example you can produce or manipulate... I don't see lux testing... so therefore its all useless information, and is that tested in a fiesta headlight? probably not, so again, 3rd party testing is the only thing that actually matters.
No its not tested in a fiesta it's a 2015 f150 I beleive and based on what I've read the Fiesta has less glare problem than alot of other vehicles so the glare issue may be even less on this car based on that info. I'm sure that may be a crap led they're comparing but it just goes to show what the cutoff looks like on alot of these other led lights and you can clearly see the cutoff is basically identical to the stock headlights on the same vehicle. I'm sure they will do lux testing we should ask and see. I will try to as well. I understand you're concern and unwillingness to beleive what companies say about their products because there are so many that just try to makes sales and burn people in the process and it's hard to really trust. That being said diode dynamics is a very reputable brand who makes lots of great products this isn't some no name ebay seller. I definitely give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to something like this. If these really do what they're claiming it should be very easy to tell once installed because I'm sure it will be the best lighting setup I've had on any of my vehicles. If there's no glare as they say output down the road should be greatly improved with a light this bright.

LILIKE16ST

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/newreply.php?p=13163329&noquote=1#/topics/1032842?page=7

There is a thread I found on a supra forum started well over a year ago talking about these sl1 lights. Read through nick from dd talks about the lux and hot spots and all that. Said they work best in reflector housings and have usually 30-40% more usable light output down the road compared to oem halogen in most vehicles with no added glare. They have been working on these for a good while and I beleive they are the bees knees when it comes to plug and play led head light upgrades. I can't wait to get mine. It's understandable people will be very skeptical because up until now there's never been a true led upgrade headlight designed for reflector housings that works with 30-40% better light down the road and no glare but now diode dynamics is about to drop one so get ready. I firmly beleive in these based on everything I've seen and read thus far.

Is diode dynamics on this forum as well?? If so they should chime in....

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The primary reason LEDs suck in halogen reflector/lenses is due to the positioning of the LED.** The LED light source for the "bulb" that I installed in my motorcycle's projector lens housing, sit so much farther forward than did the halogen. That makes a massive difference. Remember what twisting the head does on those old flash light? (example: https://youtu.be/-I5t7RmSSKE) In moving the reflector farther or closer from the light, it changes the distribution of the light; and similar with a lens-projector. So if they "simply" match up X/Y/Z axis positioning of the emitter, that will go a long way toward getting better results.

That said, the heatmap graphic on their website, shows that they still could be problematic for oncoming drivers. The positive is that they don't seem to be distorting the beam pattern. However they're clearly exaggerating or expanding upon the original footprint. It is that well defined, lower footprint that reduces the amount of light in others' eyes.

** (Other reasons are shape of the "emitter" or filament, and intensity.)

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
What are the things in the back window?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

My thoughts are It's a secret dungeon...If it doesn't put the lotion on its skin....It gets the hose again!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Window vents, you can use them for the track for cooling down and they get rid of majorly of wind noise. Brought up the idea to Ron@whoosh of adding them to the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk