Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Reving while shifting

Hello everyone,
I am having a weird issue with my 2016 Fiesta ST. It currently has 35000 miles on it, but I’ve had this issue since I purchased the vehicle. Sometimes when I am shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, the engine will Rev up to 5000 rpm or so and then drop back down. And yes, I don’t have my foot on the gas or anywhere near it. In fact, most of the time, the only way of making it go back down is to hit the brakes. I have told my dealership about the issue numerous times and they have yet to do anything about it except tell me that they have reported the issue. I took it in today and they told me that because it’s a dual clutch that tries to act as an automatic, that that is probably the issue. But still won’t do anything about it because they can’t get the car to do it. The concerning part about this is I have shifted fully while this was going on and because I wasn’t paying enough attention my car lunged forward because the car was reving up. This obviously isn’t safe.

Has anyone else had any similar issues? Or have any idea what could be wrong? Or have any advise on how to get the dealer to actually fix the issue?

Thanks guys!

codestp202

Hello everyone,
I am having a weird issue with my 2016 Fiesta ST. It currently has 35000 miles on it, but I’ve had this issue since I purchased the vehicle. Sometimes when I am shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, the engine will Rev up to 5000 rpm or so and then drop back down. And yes, I don’t have my foot on the gas or anywhere near it. In fact, most of the time, the only way of making it go back down is to hit the brakes. I have told my dealership about the issue numerous times and they have yet to do anything about it except tell me that they have reported the issue. I took it in today and they told me that because it’s a dual clutch that tries to act as an automatic, that that is probably the issue. But still won’t do anything about it because they can’t get the car to do it. The concerning part about this is I have shifted fully while this was going on and because I wasn’t paying enough attention my car lunged forward because the car was reving up. This obviously isn’t safe.

Has anyone else had any similar issues? Or have any idea what could be wrong? Or have any advise on how to get the dealer to actually fix the issue?

Thanks guys!
Sounds like you need to take it to a different dealer if they were telling you your Fiesta ST has a dual clutch LOL

Sounds like you need to take it to a different dealer if they were telling you your Fiesta ST has a dual clutch LOL
Yes, this. What you're describing sounds very strange and should definitely be looked into by the dealer. There is rev hang (i.e. revs are slow to drop), but it should not be going up, certainly not to 5000 rpm unless you are bliping the throttle between shifts.

John9851

1000 Post Club
I would by all means take it to another dealership. Dual clutch is on the automatics. Sounds like they just don't want to deal with it.

OP
M
Thread Starter #6
I probably should take it to a different dealer. It’s seriously fucked up. I had another issue where when I filled my gas tank up, the car would stall or studder while idling. They didn’t believe me so I had to fill it up and show them. They were dumbfounded and have no idea what to do about that either.

OP
M
Thread Starter #7
There was this thread on rev hang when upshifting to smooth out the shifts. What you have sounds more extreme, not right, but I'll link to it in case it provides some help-
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...e-quot-rev-match-quot-feature-when-upshifting
That definitely isn’t the issue. And it doesn’t happen all the time. It also comes and goes. It won’t do it for a few weeks and then it’ll do it a few times in a week. So it’s basically impossible to “prove” what’s going on.

OP
M
Thread Starter #8
And the dude probably didn’t see it was a fiesta st and just saw that it was a fiesta with a transmission issue. And there is a huge issue with their automatic transmissions right now. But still, it’s crazy that they haven’t even tried looking into it. I’ve been complaining about this happening for over a year now.

Maybe I'm connecting dots that aren't there but does your car currently have a tune or been tuned? It seems to me that if the car has a tune with flat foot shifting set to 5000rpm and the throttle position sensor is malfunctioning, it might get a false 100% throttle reading and with the clutch trigger automatically target 5000 rpm. Like I said, might be way off base but I think the default ffs target on OTS tunes is/was 5000rpm and this seems too specific to be a coincidence.

OP
M
Thread Starter #10
Maybe I'm connecting dots that aren't there but does your car currently have a tune or been tuned? It seems to me that if the car has a tune with flat foot shifting set to 5000rpm and the throttle position sensor is malfunctioning, it might get a false 100% throttle reading and with the clutch trigger automatically target 5000 rpm. Like I said, might be way off base but I think the default ffs target on OTS tunes is/was 5000rpm and this seems too specific to be a coincidence.
It was tuned (I removed it before i took it to the dealer) however, this issue was happening before I ever tuned it. The first time I had the issue was the first day I had the car.

OP
M
Thread Starter #11
It also has done it since removing the tune as well.

But could that still be the issue? The throttle position sensor?

I could be. I'm by no means an electronics wizard but it seems plausible. I don't know how else to explain weird throttle activity with a drive by wire system.

OP
M
Thread Starter #13
I could be. I'm by no means an electronics wizard but it seems plausible. I don't know how else to explain weird throttle activity with a drive by wire system.
I mean, it makes sense to me. My dealership is finally looking into it (so they say). Hopefully I get some feedback soon.

Thank you all for your help. I will post back with any information I get back.

My 15 ST did this for about a month when I first bought it. After a while it just stopped revving on me. It’s only happened maybe once since then. Super scary though when it happened the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codestp202

I mean, it makes sense to me. My dealership is finally looking into it (so they say). Hopefully I get some feedback soon.

Thank you all for your help. I will post back with any information I get back.
This is a shot in the dark, but why don't you unplug the battery and let it sit for a little while then plug it back in. Could be some weird electrical gremlin that goes away.

OP
M
Thread Starter #16
My 15 ST did this for about a month when I first bought it. After a while it just stopped revving on me. It’s only happened maybe once since then. Super scary though when it happened the first time.

Sent from my iPhone
It seems as if mine is doing it less, but it still does it after a year and 35k miles. I guess it’s good that I’m not the only one haha. I just wish I could get it fixed.

OP
M
Thread Starter #17
This is a shot in the dark, but why don't you unplug the battery and let it sit for a little while then plug it back in. Could be some weird electrical gremlin that goes away.
I’ll try that! Should I just leave it unplugged overnight?

OP
M
Thread Starter #19
So I have another issue with this car that just started today. I think it’s misfiring? I took a video of it happening (this isn’t the worst it’s happen, this is just the one i caught on video).

I rev the engine up and at around 4.5k rpm it stops for a second and then continues again. This probably isn’t connected to the other issue I am having, seeing as it just started today and the other issue has been going on since I bought the car.

https://youtu.be/uFuUVOIjsVg