Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock RE050A's in the Cold

I'm still scarred from going through last winter with only my Mustang to drive. Just decided to pick up Continental DWS06 and put on the stock wheels. From reviews, they have the best snow traction of any all season out there. Obviously very similar climate to you being just 15 minutes north. I'm hoping we don't get hit again like we did last year, these DWS06 should treat me well if that holds true.

Just cruising eBay I've seen some pretty cheap all seasons (new ones of course), like $250ish for a set of four

I live in SW Portland and have had my ST for almost 3 years. In that time, it has always had summer tires. I have had the RE050A's, the Sport Comp 2's, and the Indy 500's now. I have never had a problem with cold weather on any of those tires, and I drive my car every day, rain or shine (mostly rain here). In the last three years there are a grand total of probably 5-7 days where my tires would've been unacceptable, and during those conditions all-season tires would've been inadequate as well (Ice). In that instance, if I HAD to go somewhere, I was able to take my 99 Blazer with Blizzaks and had no problem.

I think the "summer tires don't work in the cold" is completely over-blown, especially in the PNW. Yes, in below freezing weather in other parts of the country, they wouldn't necessarily be my first choice. But here in the PNW, 99% of the time in the winter, it is 45 degrees and raining, and summer tires are perfectly fine.

If I didn't have an SUV, couldn't work from home, and didn't have access to public transit, I would invest in some Blizzaks, which are available in our stock size and are fantastic. You will save your summer tires in the winter and you get the benefit of summer tires in the summer, rather than compromised all-seasons. They are called no-seasons for a reason.

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Thread Starter #23
I'm still scarred from going through last winter with only my Mustang to drive. Just decided to pick up Continental DWS06 and put on the stock wheels. From reviews, they have the best snow traction of any all season out there. Obviously very similar climate to you being just 15 minutes north. I'm hoping we don't get hit again like we did last year, these DWS06 should treat me well if that holds true.

Just cruising eBay I've seen some pretty cheap all seasons (new ones of course), like $250ish for a set of four
Yeah, last year was record-setting, I think. My BRZ was stuck on the side street near my office for a week and a half and I had to get my mom to give me a ride to and from work in her Outback.

I live in SW Portland and have had my ST for almost 3 years. In that time, it has always had summer tires. I have had the RE050A's, the Sport Comp 2's, and the Indy 500's now. I have never had a problem with cold weather on any of those tires, and I drive my car every day, rain or shine (mostly rain here). In the last three years there are a grand total of probably 5-7 days where my tires would've been unacceptable, and during those conditions all-season tires would've been inadequate as well (Ice). In that instance, if I HAD to go somewhere, I was able to take my 99 Blazer with Blizzaks and had no problem.

I think the "summer tires don't work in the cold" is completely over-blown, especially in the PNW. Yes, in below freezing weather in other parts of the country, they wouldn't necessarily be my first choice. But here in the PNW, 99% of the time in the winter, it is 45 degrees and raining, and summer tires are perfectly fine.

If I didn't have an SUV, couldn't work from home, and didn't have access to public transit, I would invest in some Blizzaks, which are available in our stock size and are fantastic. You will save your summer tires in the winter and you get the benefit of summer tires in the summer, rather than compromised all-seasons. They are called no-seasons for a reason.
Yup, as above, my folks both live nearby and have Subarus and my girlfriend has an old Explorer 4x4. Between your comments and the tire shops, I'll keep the RE050A's on.

Also, hello to two locals! Much of an owner community around here? I know the Subaru guys have a HUGE one and I miss that! If not we should start something up!

One of the main reasons I bought the ST is so I wouldn't have to drive a Su"bro"u, not to mention how heavy and large the WRX is. Even within the PDX ST club, FiST only makes up less than 10% of the group. A few years ago, I knew the club had 70 members, and only like 2 or 3 Fiesta's. Shame really.

Subaru's marketing people are amazing, as they have convinced people that they need AWD in Portland and other places where it rarely snows, which is just complete nonsense. People with Subaru's think their cars can handle anything. As a marketing professional myself, my hat is off to them.

There is a PNW section on this forum. I will be checking that out more often and would love to arrange something with the other guys here in PDX.

To finish up this conversation, once you're done with the RE050A's, go straight for the Indy 500's. The price can't be beat and it is genuinely the best option for this car if you want a summer tire that you can daily drive. Forget all-seasons.

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Thread Starter #25
Ha, yeah. I've had three Subarus (my family has had six) but even a base-model Impreza was $3k more than I got the ST for. I'll check out the PDX ST groups in general, even if we are a small percentage.

Last edited:

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club

How would you compare those 3 summer tires?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
One of the main reasons I bought the ST is so I wouldn't have to drive a Su"bro"u, not to mention how heavy and large the WRX is.
Subaru's marketing people are amazing, as they have convinced people that they need AWD in Portland and other places where it rarely snows, which is just complete nonsense. People with Subaru's think their cars can handle anything.
There are MANY modded (and non-modded) WRXes and STIs in this area, and if you own one, you "pass yourself" MANY times daily.
I LIKE having a rare vehicle for this area despite it not being a BIG BUCK, high zoot, 'statusmobile' so common in this general locale. [:)]

The funny thing is that some of these kids in their Scoobies and Evos think that their AWD systems are going to save them on snow/ice, even when rolling on 200 tread wear, semi-slick, autocross/open track tires. [histerical]

Ha, yeah. I've had three Subarus (my family has had six) but even a base-model Impreza was $3k more than I got the ST for. I'll check out the PDX ST groups in general, even if we are a small percentage.
Maybe you have a similar username as someone on NASIOC but didnt you used to live in Atlanta?

As far as the RE050A's go it was 35 and wet here in North KY last week and after that terrible drive home I put on my "winter" tires the other day..my car is stock and my RE050A's have 7000 miles on them and with the temps even down to 45 or 50 degrees they just wont grip anything.. I can spin 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd gear. If the pavement is wet you can forget having any kind of acceleration. I wouldnt be able to trust them on the highway at all.

I installed BFG comp-2 all seasons on Sparco Terra wheels - I probably need full on winter tires depending on how the temps are but since its our first winter here ill see how it goes. If what I have arent enough ill spring for winter tires next season and keep these for year round use.

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Thread Starter #29
Maybe you have a similar username as someone on NASIOC but didnt you used to live in Atlanta?

As far as the RE050A's go it was 35 and wet here in North KY last week and after that terrible drive home I put on my "winter" tires the other day..my car is stock and my RE050A's have 7000 miles on them and with the temps even down to 45 or 50 degrees they just wont grip anything.. I can spin 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd gear. If the pavement is wet you can forget having any kind of acceleration. I wouldnt be able to trust them on the highway at all.

I installed BFG comp-2 all seasons on Sparco Terra wheels - I probably need full on winter tires depending on how the temps are but since its our first winter here ill see how it goes. If what I have arent enough ill spring for winter tires next season and keep these for year round use.
Yup, Iā€™m the same guy! Moved back home to Portland after I finished college. Canā€™t remember my NASIOC password.

Anyway, Iā€™ve noticed no issues with the Potenzas so far in the forties and fifties, that may change in the rain but theyā€™ve still got plenty of grip so far.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

I like that setup over the Potenzas on the factory wheels, for ANY time of the year! [thumb] ;)

yes, 2000-2011 Focus 15"+ wheels, 1999 Cougar 15"+ wheels, 1995+ Contour/Mystique 15"+ wheels, and 2011+ Fiesta 15"+ wheels will all work. They all have 4 x 108 BC. When it comes to tires, the General Arctic Altimax tires are really good and cheap. They don't suffer from the noise or squishy feeling on the highway that you get with a lot of winter tires. They give up a little ice traction, but still far better than any all-season. If you really want to stay on the cheap, don't bother with the TPMS sensors and just live with a light on your dash for a few months.
This is what I have and it was inexpensive and works well. But, they are still fairly squishy on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
This is what I have and it was inexpensive and works well. But, they are still fairly squishy on the highway.

Yeah, just not as squishy as some of the Blizzaks I have used in the past. I have used Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, and General winter tires and I like the Generals the best. Have you installed your winter tires yet? I am doing mine this weekend as the temps are now too cold for summer tires.

Yeah, just not as squishy as some of the Blizzaks I have used in the past. I have used Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, and General winter tires and I like the Generals the best. Have you installed your winter tires yet? I am doing mine this weekend as the temps are now too cold for summer tires.
Yes, mine went on last Friday. Just in time for a very cold, wet pattern for me here in West Michigan. I was glad I did it. The Indy 500s I've been running are sh!it, and even more so in the wet. Even so, those first few days felt like I was driving a dune buggy in a bouncy castle.
I'm more used to it now.

Yes, mine went on last Friday. Just in time for a very cold, wet pattern for me here in West Michigan. I was glad I did it. The Indy 500s I've been running are sh!it, and even more so in the wet. Even so, those first few days felt like I was driving a dune buggy in a bouncy castle.
I'm more used to it now.

Well of course the Indy 500's you are running are shit. I took a look at your signature and you are running the Indy 500 Wide Oval's, which are an old design and nothing like the new Indy 500's that were just released in our stock size this summer. The Indy 500's (non wide-oval) are fantastic, while the Wide Ovals are a very mediocre old-tech summer tire. The Indy 500's have by-and-large replaced the RE760's and the Wide Ovals. It's confusing and I am not sure why Firestone did that, but they did.

My advice to you would be to burn through those Wide Ovals as quickly as you can and get the new Indy 500's on there. Did you ask for the new Indy's and they gave you the Wide Ovals? It can be an easy mistake for the tire shops to make. If so, I would go back to them and get them swapped for the correct tire.

Well of course the Indy 500's you are running are shit. I took a look at your signature and you are running the Indy 500 Wide Oval's, which are an old design and nothing like the new Indy 500's that were just released in our stock size this summer. The Indy 500's (non wide-oval) are fantastic, while the Wide Ovals are a very mediocre old-tech summer tire. The Indy 500's have by-and-large replaced the RE760's and the Wide Ovals. It's confusing and I am not sure why Firestone did that, but they did.

My advice to you would be to burn through those Wide Ovals as quickly as you can and get the new Indy 500's on there. Did you ask for the new Indy's and they gave you the Wide Ovals? It can be an easy mistake for the tire shops to make. If so, I would go back to them and get them swapped for the correct tire.
Nope. I went cheap on purpose. My purpose for the car went from strictly commuter to occasional road-tripper, so I needed something quieter and softer for those 5 hour stints.
I am doing exactly what you said and will sell the car next summer with original rims/OEM tires with very little mileage or wear, along with the winter set and then I'll Craigslist the cheapos for whatever they are worth.
This is a great car, among my favorite I've owned (30+ cars), but you can't make it what it's not, and it's not a road tripper.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I'm more used to it now.

I was in Hawaii for most of October and fell behind fall projects and my winter tires are still in storage. I am putting them on this weekend. I have found that the Michelin Pilot Super Sports do pretty good in the conditions we have had so far this week. Next week it will be below freezing in the morning and that is surely not going to be good for summer tires. I am straight west of you on the lakeshore, in Grand Haven.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I was in Hawaii for most of October and fell behind fall projects and my winter tires are still in storage. I am putting them on this weekend. I have found that the Michelin Pilot Super Sports do pretty good in the conditions we have had so far this week. Next week it will be below freezing in the morning and that is surely not going to be good for summer tires.

Here in eastern Pa. we are headed back into a slight warming trend, so I want to hold off putting on the factory AS/3s.

I just hope that the few 38*F nights we've had so far did not permanently hurt my RS-RRs.

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Thread Starter #38
The terras are nice, I had the TD Pro Race 1.2's on my Outback and that's probably what I'll put on here with Pilot Sport A/S 3+s when the RE050A's wear out, keep the stock wheels as a backup set or sell them.

OSFIST

Hello, new guy from Portland here. I just picked up my FIST the day before Thanksgiving and I'm loving it! I must agree with your assessment of the stock "summer only" tires in the PNW during colder weather; they seem do be doing very well. I went to visit family in Goldendale over the weekend and decided to take Hwy 14 onto Hwy 142 instead of I84 and I'm so glad I did! Hwy 142 winds along the Klickitat river and offers fantastic banked corners, switchbacks, and gorgeous scenery. I encountered only about six cars going the opposite direction in the 25 mile stretch I was on. I had a blast. It was hovering around 40 degrees the whole way with plenty of rain. The Bridgestones stuck like glue the whole time. Will I drive the FIST if/when the snow decides to fall? No; I've got an old Lincoln Town Car for that. But on the days where it's just rainy and chilly? You bet I'm driving my new FIST!

Hello, new guy from Portland here. I just picked up my FIST the day before Thanksgiving and I'm loving it! I must agree with your assessment of the stock "summer only" tires in the PNW during colder weather; they seem do be doing very well. I went to visit family in Goldendale over the weekend and decided to take Hwy 14 onto Hwy 142 instead of I84 and I'm so glad I did! Hwy 142 winds along the Klickitat river and offers fantastic banked corners, switchbacks, and gorgeous scenery. I encountered only about six cars going the opposite direction in the 25 mile stretch I was on. I had a blast. It was hovering around 40 degrees the whole way with plenty of rain. The Bridgestones stuck like glue the whole time. Will I drive the FIST if/when the snow decides to fall? No; I've got an old Lincoln Town Car for that. But on the days where it's just rainy and chilly? You bet I'm driving my new FIST!
I've driven that road once before in my Mustang and it was a blast! I think one of the best roads in the world for ST's is the Rowena Loops section of Old Highway 30 near The Dalles. That was fun in the Mustang but a little tight. I tried to take that exit last time I was driving through in the ST but it was closed due to the fire cleanup.