Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock RE050A's in the Cold

XanRules

So, long story short, about six weeks ago, two weeks before my last car was totaled, I dropped a lot of money on new wheels and tires. I do not have the money to do so again so soon.

I picked up my Fiesta today and it came with the RE050A's from the factory, a max performance summer tire. I've never had a car come with summer tires before. Portland rarely gets snow (minus some freak stuff this past winter) and I don't drive when it is snowy/icy because I live in a very hilly area and it's not worth the risk. However, despite the relatively dry winters we have, it does get into the mid forties and high thirties in the winter with some regularity (rarely much below that). I've never had any problems in the winter running all-season tires and I've been driving here for many years.

Given this climate, how bad off am I keeping the RE050A's on? What's my best option here?

Thanks!

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
So, long story short, about six weeks ago, two weeks before my last car was totaled, I dropped a lot of money on new wheels and tires. I do not have the money to do so again so soon.

I picked up my Fiesta today and it came with the RE050A's from the factory, a max performance summer tire. I've never had a car come with summer tires before. Portland rarely gets snow (minus some freak stuff this past winter) and I don't drive when it is snowy/icy because I live in a very hilly area and it's not worth the risk. However, despite the relatively dry winters we have, it does get into the mid forties and high thirties in the winter with some regularity (rarely much below that). I've never had any problems in the winter running all-season tires and I've been driving here for many years.

Given this climate, how bad off am I keeping the RE050A's on? What's my best option here?

Thanks!
I would get some all seasons to preserve your Potenzas if possible. They won’t be quite as sticky come next summer after freezing.

I've been wrestling with the same dilemma myself. In the high 40's i'm already noticing a clear decrease in traction during accelleration.

Really depends on your driving style and risk tolerance. If you baby it as low as freezing (which I have done on occasion), you will probably be fine in normal conditions, but rain may give you more problems than in the summer. Also, stopping distances will be longer, so you may need to give yourself more room to stop in an emergency. IANAL, but I suspect you could be liable if you are outside the specified operating range of the tires and get into an accident. Summer tires can also become somewhat brittle in cold temperatures, so they can crack a bit when used around freezing temps. They will still function, but will probably show a permanent loss in performance.

Whatever you do, do not attempt to drive when there is ANY snow on the ground or a chance of snow. You will end up wrecked or stranded.

Last edited:

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
when summer tires get below 45-50 degrees, the compound changes and the rubber isn't able to mold itself to the road surface to provide traction. Summer tires operate at a higher temp range than all-season or winter tires. The decrease in traction can be annoying under acceleration, but deadly in terms of braking and handling. You will get much greater stopping distances at cold temps with summer tires and less cornering grip, which is bad for emergency maneuvers.

If it was me, and I had to operate my ST in temps between 30-50'F over an extended time, I would look at a winter tire. The compound is designed to work at lower temps, testing has shown that you won't destroy them in warmer temps, and you will be ready in case of a snow event. I consider an all-season to be too much of a compromise. I suggest a two tire setup with winter tires in the winter and summer tires in the summer. That puts the best designed tire for the best conditions they were designed for. It is the safer way to go. You can pick up steel wheels with some General winter tires pretty cheap and this will also greatly extend the life of your summer tires. The cold also damages the summer tire compound and makes them less effective the following season. I have seen this with my storing my summer tires in the garage over the winter and noticed after a few years, they lost considerable grip even though there was plenty of tread left. I am going to store my summer tires in the house from now on. Don't tell my wife as she doesn't know that yet! ;)

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Really depends on your driving style and risk tolerance. If you baby as low as freezing (which I have done on occasion), you will probably be fine in normal conditions, but rain may give you more problems than in the summer. Also, stopping distances will be longer, so you may need to give yourself more room to stop in an emergency. IANAL, but I suspect you could be liable if you are outside the specified operating range of the tires and get into an accident. Summer tires can also become somewhat brittle in cold temperatures, so they can crack a bit when used around freezing temps. They will still function, but will probably show a permanent loss in performance.

Whatever you do, do not attempt to drive when there is ANY snow on the ground or a chance of snow. You will end up wrecked or stranded.
We appear to be thinking the same thing at the same time. Nicely done!

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Thread Starter #7
Alright, well, I'll start shopping for a cheap winter setup but won't stress TOO much just yet. Last-gen Focus (2000-2011) wheels fit, right? Should be able to find some used pretty easily...

Thanks y'all!

DaveG99

If I lived somewhere where it snowed a lot I would get a winter car. Something with all wheel drive or at least 4x4. Wouldnt want my new ST getting all rusted out. But im in Texas and it rarely gets below 50 for a high. Every now and then we dip below freezing at night but once the sun comes out it warms up quick. Around here people run summer tires all year long.

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Thread Starter #9
Yeah, we get snow maybe once or twice a winter and it's only a light dusting. I just wasn't sure how big of a difference the cold temps made. I've always been fine on all seasons so this is a new experience for me!

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Alright, well, I'll start shopping for a cheap winter setup but won't stress TOO much just yet. Last-gen Focus (2000-2011) wheels fit, right? Should be able to find some used pretty easily...

Thanks y'all!
yes, 2000-2011 Focus 15"+ wheels, 1999 Cougar 15"+ wheels, 1995+ Contour/Mystique 15"+ wheels, and 2011+ Fiesta 15"+ wheels will all work. They all have 4 x 108 BC. When it comes to tires, the General Arctic Altimax tires are really good and cheap. They don't suffer from the noise or squishy feeling on the highway that you get with a lot of winter tires. They give up a little ice traction, but still far better than any all-season. If you really want to stay on the cheap, don't bother with the TPMS sensors and just live with a light on your dash for a few months.

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Thread Starter #11
Sounds good, thanks. I've only ever seen SNOW tires, I assume "winter" tires are different?

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Sounds good, thanks. I've only ever seen SNOW tires, I assume "winter" tires are different?
They are the same. The term snow tires is being replaced with winter tires since the tires aren't just for snow, they are for winter conditions. This covers snow, ice, freezing rain, slush, and colder temps.

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Thread Starter #13
They are the same. The term snow tires is being replaced with winter tires since the tires aren't just for snow, they are for winter conditions. This covers snow, ice, freezing rain, slush, and colder temps.
Gotcha, okay. The lack of winter temps other than "cold" is what makes me go "hmm" because I see so many people chewing up the pavement with their studded snow tires year round. Ha! Makes sense, though!

Thanks!
I live in New Jersey and had the same thoughts. My choice was to buy a set of General GMax AS 05. 205/45/17. A little taller that smooths out the ride a little. Not much difference in handling. Sold my 5000 mile Bridgestones for $200. Much higher expected lifetime mileage too.

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Thread Starter #15
Yeah, I could probably get an okay price for the Potenzas. Hmm.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I used my stock RE050A's all last winter with no issues. Our winter temperatures here in NC sound similar to yours in Portland, most days are in the 40's or 50's. Sometimes it gets colder. When it gets below about 50, I drive the car but don't push it at all in corners. It doesn't snow much here, but if it does of course I don't drive my FiST.

There are still Mud&Snow rated tires, as well as Winter rated.

The M&S tires are only all seasons with some sipe work to give them a bit of traction in close to freezing temps, mostly light truck sizes, and useless in colder temps.

Winter rated are your blizzaks, x-ice, etc.

And to further muddy the waters, the new class of “all weather tires”, which are winter rated and summer rated...? Fancy rubber compounds with higher than normal(for winter rated) tread wear rating...

As well as the “all season” rated... ie. “no season”...

It’s silly.

Sent from my iPhone using messenger penguins

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Thread Starter #18
FWIW I've talked to three local tire shops today and the consensus has been that our winters aren't bad enough to necessitate a dedicated winter setup unless I'm regularly going up to the mountain, and that the Potenzas should be fine as long as I don't drive like an asshat. So that's less stress on me, at least. I still may switch but I'm not gonna lose any more sleep over it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
And to further muddy the waters, the new class of “all weather tires”, which are winter rated and summer rated...? Fancy rubber compounds with higher than normal(for winter rated) tread wear rating...
Does any tire company besides Nokian have anything labelled "all weather"? [dunno]