Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TPMS problem with NEW wheels and tires...

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
This weekend was winter tire installation weekend, so I took at a look at the following wheels;
17" Axis wheels with TPMS
15" Sparco wheels with TPMS
19" OEM Escape Titanium wheels with TPMS
16" Sport Edition wheels with TPMS
19" OEM Forged Focus RS wheels with TPMS
17" 1998 OEM Cobra wheels without TPMS
17" 1995 OEM Cobra R wheels without TPMS

I sealed up the Mustang wheels with plastic for winter storage, so I had a chance to look over the wheel weights. My Fiesta ST and Escape both got their winter tires installed and my dad picked up his Focus RS wheels from my garage. In all cases, the vast majority of stick-on wheels weights were installed 180' from the TPMS sensors and had more weight installed than the 17" Cobra wheels without TPMS. The TPMS sensors weigh more than the non-TPMS valve stem. The diameter of the valve stem hole in the wheel is the same between wheels with and without TPMS. The weight delta between the valve stems with and without TPMS and the equal hole diameter would suggest additional weight would be needed to equal the addition of the sensor added to the valve stem. From my observation, wheels with TPMS had more weight and the weight was placed 180 degrees from the sensor/valve stem assembly. The weight strip with the most amount of weight were placed close to the spokes and there were a few smaller weights placed at the inner surface the wheel.