Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is this an issue? Or driver error?

So I have been noticing lately that my ST has a hard time finding first gear when I shift. Like, I really have to slam it to get it to go into first gear. Is this because I haven't yet gotten a rear motor mount? Car has about 5k on it, and it's driving fine, just is especially hard to get it into first.

If you're having to actually force it into gear that sounds like a mechanical issue. I'd take it to a dealer to have checked before anything blows up. If you start noticing it in other gears then absolutely take it in (from my experience that indicates imminent clutch failure). Does it just slide into all other gears? Does the problem occur any time you try to go into first or is it at specific speeds/revs?

OP
Ebohnart
Thread Starter #3
If you're having to actually force it into gear that sounds like a mechanical issue. I'd take it to a dealer to have checked before anything blows up. If you start noticing it in other gears then absolutely take it in (from my experience that indicates imminent clutch failure). Does it just slide into all other gears? Does the problem occur any time you try to go into first or is it at specific speeds/revs?
It's just first from a dead stop. Like at a light. Then I sit there pissing off cars behind me as I'm trying to get it in gear. I just got new tires, but the two aren't remotely correlated so I'm unsure of what's going on.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I was worried about this same issue as well but apparently its a common thing with manuals, never have had this issue in the past with manuals but I guess its modern manuals. I never tried to force it into 1st as I didn't feel comfortable doing that. What I do now is if it doesn't go into 1st I put it into 2nd then 1st and that usually remedies the issue. If that doesn't work then I go from 3rd then to 1st. Annoying at first but it becomes second nature pretty quickly.

It's just first from a dead stop. Like at a light. Then I sit there pissing off cars behind me as I'm trying to get it in gear. I just got new tires, but the two aren't remotely correlated so I'm unsure of what's going on.
Ok, that actually happens to me sometimes at a stop. I wouldn't force it because I believe that indicates the teeth aren't synced up (not sure if the syncros in the trans work when you're at rest). Like TDavis said, try going into 2nd then back to 1st, usually that's what works for me. Or if it gives you trouble try to let off the clutch a little while applying a light force, that can also get the teeth to sync up (not the best solution as it could increase clutch wear over time). Could also shift into first before stopping at <10mph.

pump the clutch pedal twice and see if its better,

or slide it into second then up to first.

My car occasionally gets "locked" out of first gear at a stop, but one of the two things always work, and dont use excessive force.

Zormecteon

There are other threads that cover this. Easiest way when it balks (when at a dead stop) is to slide it into 2nd then push up straight into first. That will align the syncros. They almost ALL do it. I learned this driving a '62 VW.

DangerMouse

I too have to do the into second up to first maneuver occasionally. I thought it was due to the mountune quick shift since I put that on within a week or so of owning the car.

OP
Ebohnart
Thread Starter #9
There are other threads that cover this. Easiest way when it balks (when at a dead stop) is to slide it into 2nd then push up straight into first. That will align the syncros. They almost ALL do it. I learned this driving a '62 VW.
I didn't know. My eyes just aren't big enough to read ALL THE STUFF on this site. Lol

OP
Ebohnart
Thread Starter #10
Thanks for the advice y'all. It's my first manual, so I didn't know. I appreciate the advice.

cxwrench

It's happened in mine a few times, and actually happened when driving home tonight. Put it in neutral, let the clutch out, clutch back in and back into first. Hardly even realized I'd done it and then remembered this thread. I guess it's just natural after almost 40 years driving manuals.

I never really realized that I always shift from 2nd to 1st at a stop. All my trucks that have had manuals I did this too. I guess it does become second nature.

DangerMouse

I always downshift to second even if clutch is in and I don't use the gear, then into first. Only if I'm sitting in traffic or at a light, I put it in neutral while I wait, and occasionally it doesn't want to go into first. Silly car.

I never really realized that I always shift from 2nd to 1st at a stop. All my trucks that have had manuals I did this too. I guess it does become second nature.
I go up and down through all the gears, always. Never seem to have an issue popping it back into first. Maybe there is something to that? OP, do you do this?

So I have been noticing lately that my ST has a hard time finding first gear when I shift. Like, I really have to slam it to get it to go into first gear. Is this because I haven't yet gotten a rear motor mount? Car has about 5k on it, and it's driving fine, just is especially hard to get it into first.
I had this same issue with a '92 Ranger and an '04 Ranger. What I did to "fix" the problem is (at the stop) just before the light changed, I shifted into 4th, 3rd, then 2nd, and the stick went into 1st gear like butter. Yes, the problem still existed, but after a while I got really used to it and did it without thinking about it. Although, it happened at a time when the vehicle was not in warranty.

I always have manuals. In fact, the last time my primary driver was an auto, Jimmy Carter was president. It is true that manuals sometimes are a little cantankerous going into first or reverse from a dead stop. The key is frequency--is it happening all the time, or just on the odd occasion? When it happens, don't force it--just engage another gear and then try again.

I would suggest you let an experienced manual driver take a spin in you car. Don't tell them you suspect anything--just see if they notice anything wrong. However, given that the car is new and still under warranty, I would also definitely have the dealer look at it and get it "on record" that there may be a problem.

It IS a thing that happens occasionally with any manual. It will become second nature to just slide it into second and then back to first.

Something that no one has mentioned: make sure you ARE pushing the clutch in all the way, right to the floor.

^^MY very first car (when Prixon was still POTUS LOL) was a slushbox.

EVERYTHING since then was a manual! [driving] [:)]
Ha ha, same for me, (being from the UK, the Brit PM was Harold Wilson). but my first car was a manual. I've never had a slushbox. Driven my wife's, but that doesn't count. (!) Having said that, I recently drove a Golf R with a DSG gearbox, and it scared me - how did it know to change gear exactly when I would have?