Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Evans coolant discussion

I would like to spark some interest in the topic of coolant.... But not just any coolant

https://www.evanscoolant.com

This one in particular. Why is it, that we the people of this forum don't talk or really hear about this stuff, basically alcohol. When I was floating around in svtperformance forums, quite a few people were utilizing this product to have peace of mind. You could see it with naturally aspirated and supercharged engines, but I never saw a single person ever use it with a turbocharged platform!?

Why is this? Anyone care to shed some light.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I would like to spark some interest in the topic of coolant.... But not just any coolant

https://www.evanscoolant.com

This one in particular. Why is it, that we the people of this forum don't talk or really hear about this stuff, basically alcohol. When I was floating around in svtperformance forums, quite a few people were utilizing this product to have peace of mind. You could see it with naturally aspirated and supercharged engines, but I never saw a single person ever use it with a turbocharged platform!?

Why is this? Anyone care to shed some light.

Everything has some type of water in it for fluids wise. I think this product falls in the realm of supercoolant.....purple ice and Lucas engine coolant additives. I don't really see any benefit to having it. If you need coolant ....when you really need it....where are you going to find Evans coolant at a gas station In death valley? You'll have to add normal coolant....then flush it all back out and spend more money on coolant to get it back to all Evans coolant. Seems to be more of a hassle than a benefit....IMO. interesting read though....jay Leno uses it......[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There were a couple of good, multi-page threads about it on bobistheoilguy.com

They finally blended this stuff for a decent anti-freeze function, as I remember back when their 'street' fluid was only good for ~ -10*F at best, and their racing NPG stuff was only good down to ~ 10*F.

OP
D
Thread Starter #4
I witnessed a 3.7 V6 Mustang with a rotrex supercharger drop almost 30* F just from using Evans coolant. They were able to bump up the boost and timing quite a bit.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I witnessed a 3.7 V6 Mustang with a rotrex supercharger drop almost 30* F just from using Evans coolant. They were able to bump up the boost and timing quite a bit.

Engines start to have issues with cooling when the temperature drops that much....if it's a separate system from the actual engine great...if not then the engine isn't going to run at its optimum efficiency for the spark plugs and not be able to keep deposits from forming. Alot of spark plugs are self cleaning now days as they get hot enough to burn off deposits that can accumulate on them. This is just like e3 spark plugs I think....a fade.

OP
D
Thread Starter #6
So the opinions I see started are that is not worth it for our platform? I figured it would be a slightly bad idea to run it because the heat of the turbo, basically sharing the coolant with the engine.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So the opinions I see started are that is not worth it for our platform? I figured it would be a slightly bad idea to run it because the heat of the turbo, basically sharing the coolant with the engine.

I think it's a throw of the dice...I put in nano coolant additive to my coolant...have not seen any type of benefit or fluctuation in coolant temp to say it did good or bad. Sordove a meh...it was cheap and thought I'd give it a whirl....just for fun.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I used to get Norosion's printed newsletter, but they have not sent one in recent years, maybe because I last bought any of their products in 2013?

I may go with their radiator additive when I do the first full flush/change out of the coolant and install the Mountune silicone hoses. ;)

Great experience with EVANS for many years many vehicles, and I believe I have a good understanding of the coolant and its benefits. Boiling point is ridiculously high, no pressure on the cooling system (big weakness there for any automobile engine), no corrosion issues, excellent extreme duty performance, less toxicity.

For the most part, 100% food grade prolylene glycol works also for zero toxicity if that's your thing -- $25 per gallon Amazon -- (Sierra brand antifreeze was available as 100% PG in the past BTW), or mix with Evans (I mix it)

From CRF150RB with go-cart-track duty (no cooling fan... you can run the bike hard in the heat, and remove radiator cap, no pressure no hissing, just pure still fluid at 230 degrees F and the machine runs great)... to a Ducati 1098R with only a single radiator fan and Microtec ECU (full control of tuning with regard to ECT, it can run fine at 260F without any overflow bottle, I haven't run it past that, but it makes more power than lower temps)... to a F250 Diesel with all sorts of coolant issues until prepping/installing and no issues for three years... to a couple of track bikes which run 100% PG...

... to the Ford Fiesta ST, with the 2014 I have had some time with getting rid of all the water (water or ethylene glycol does not bother the evans, you just don't have all the great benefits until the water is gone). Ran the Fiesta ST back to back to back at an EVO autocross school, definitely got hot and reduced power, but never had to worry about hurting the engine, no risk of hot spots steam pockets, blown gaskets, and the coolant going to the turbo is never boiling.

Stuff boils at like 375 degrees F.

The comment about "where are you going to find Evans coolant at a gas station In death valley" it's irrelevant, add water, now you have basically a coolant called "Engine Ice" and refresh when needed, but you don't worry about running low as it's not under pressure.

Still need the overflow on a Fiesta as it's part of the re-circulation system.

I have it in the 2018 Fiesta ST now and along with Montune radiator, new silicone hoses, and a proper drain/replacement with EVANS and it's about bullet-proof, been tuning for the last few days in the 110 degree heat, coolant is 200-210 degrees during every run, very stable, very happy with it. I take the cap of every once in a while when hot to see if there's any steam left in the system (it will rise to the overflow if any water is present) and I have it working well, no pressure. I don't believe running a cooler T-STAT is needed.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If I lived somewhere that reached ridiculous ambient temps in the summer, and never got below 20*F in the winter, ever, I would be using this stuff myself. [thumb]

If I lived somewhere that reached ridiculous ambient temps in the summer, and never got below 20*F in the winter, ever, I would be using this stuff myself. [thumb]
I see your point based on several statements here, but the cooling system is actually NOT really running cooler with EVANS as some may be lead to believe, those may be stories of cooling system failures being cured... (side by side on the freeway on a hot 100F day with AC on at 80mph for example standard system may be 190-191 and EVANS may be 193-194, and this is consisetent many times over in my experience, add water to the PG and it will run cooler for this example)... unless the current cooling system has issues holding pressure or creating excess heat in the turbo or cyl head passages causing local or overall coolant boilover. Good from -40F to +375F. It offers stability, reliability, especially for poorly designed systems which would otherwise have problems.

There are downsides... one is just as indicated, if the car runs even a little hotter ECT then ECU may pull timing or clip TBW, etc. forced induction cars are more susceptible, and heat soak can be a slightly bigger problem... although there's no sudden temp spikes or overheat that I would be more worried about. Another is that if the cooling system is plugged up with corrosion and or sludge and or leak stop, it needs to be very thoroughly chemical flushed, but I've never experienced this, it's per EVANS and their warnings for high mileage cars. Another is the cost, but mentioned a way around that with pure PG. Stuff is not that exotic, but it works damn well. Another downside, it takes some effort and sometimes that means expense to get most all the water out, or it's just an ordinary coolant with water in it (despite serious warnings it seems, reference the MSDS for Engine Ice whigh is PG and Warter mix)... water does boil off especially if you carefully relieve the pressure, it boils at 212F so some of the system is higher than that under normal ops even... on the dirt bikes you can let them run with the cap off until all the steam releases, but that can be a little risky if you're not careful and tenacious... you can really burn yourself also I'm sure. On a car it takes more effort with all of the coolant passages and ancillary systems carrying coolant.