Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Replacing my clutch/flywheel today

Anyone have any recommended walkthrough guides or youtube videos about removing the transmission? Otherwise, I guess i'll be making a how-to guide today.

I think there were some guys who did a video of their LSD install. Can't remember who, but you could probably find it on YouTube or somewhere in the build thread forum.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I think there were some guys who did a video of their LSD install. Can't remember who, but you could probably find it on YouTube or somewhere in the build thread forum.
Pete on here did a tutorial/detailed vid on his Wavetrac diff/4.30 final drive install.

BG; when you get this all buttoned up, please let us know how that Motul DCT fluid is as far as shift feel is concerned as compared to the factory Motorcraft DCT (IF that is what is in there now).
I currently have the Motul Gear 300 in the transaxle, but have that same DCT fluid in the basement, ready to go into the car IF the gear 300 turns out to be too viscous, and starts acting up in the cold ambient temps. ;)

OP
B
Thread Starter #4
Oh, That is just replacement fluid. I've been running the Motul DCTF for about 50k miles. Its been fantastic!

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Wait I was told we use Motul

but the Dual clutch transmission is what we're supposed to use?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Wait I was told we use Motul

but the Dual clutch transmission is what we're supposed to use?
The factory/manual specs an approved (with the Ford/Motorcraft numbers on the bottle, so that disqualifies, by the letter of the 'law', products like the Red Line and Amsoil DCTs, which I am sure will not harm any components inside the transaxle, but just do not have the Ford spec printed on the bottle) DCT fluid.

But many on here (myself included) run the Motul Gear 300 NON-limited slip gear oil for the extra anti-shear gear/bearing protection, with no adverse effects at all, even though it is not Ford 'approved'. [wink]

As seen above, Motul also makes a fully approved by Ford, DCT fluid as well (as do Castrol, which is only available overseas and online, and a few others). [:)]

My best guess is that Ford did not want yet another fluid tank to fill on the Fiesta assembly line (I am taking for granted that the B6 transaxles are shipped to the Cuautitlan facility DRY [dunno]), so they just specced the DCT fluid for our manuals as well.

Does anyone know of any actual engineering reasons for speccing the DCT fluid over an MTF/gear oil, other than possible fears of frigid weather shifting when cold? [???:)]

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Yeah I use Motul 300 right now but I'm wondering how that fluid is. I noticed 0 difference with the swap from OEM FLUID to Motul 300

OP
B
Thread Starter #11
So I think it took me about 6 hours to replace it, mostly because of a damn bolt BEHIND the downpipe. That aside, it seems like the clutch wasn't worn out as much as the pressure plate/ flywheel were glazed:

I will say that after the replacement, the car works fine, but the clutch pedal doesn't feel like it used to. Now it feels like a VW clutch pedal, which by that I mean extremely light and weak. The positive feedback like my old clutch is missing. I bled it out for some time after replacing the slave cylinder, but I couldn't get it to firm up more.

I'm thinking I will bleed it some more this week after driving it a bit in hopes that there was just some air still in the lines that will come out after it gets jostled around, unless anyone can provide suggestions.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Could the glazing be gotten rid of by slipping the clutch in a high gear at low speeds, like can be done on other platforms, or does it get too extensive in our cars?

Can our clutch hydraulics be bled/flushed without opening up the bell housing/gearbox, and does ANYONE make a remote speed bleeder for it as on other platforms?? [dunno]

OP
B
Thread Starter #13
Not sure about the slipping, but I can say that bleeding the clutch on this thing is SUPER easy. There's a plastic knob you can turn on the slave cylinder to bleed it. It is on the outside of the transmission, so you don't have to crack it open to bleed it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Not sure about the slipping, but I can say that bleeding the clutch on this thing is SUPER easy. There's a plastic knob you can turn on the slave cylinder to bleed it. It is on the outside of the transmission, so you don't have to crack it open to bleed it.

THANKS! [twothumb] [cool]

M Sport Fan.
I work at a Ford Assembly Plant and our transmissions and engines are never received ā€œdryā€. The only fluids we add are anti-freeze, brake fluid, windshield fluid and gas. Iā€™m not 100% sure on the Fiesta plant but will send them an email.
Cheers

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
M Sport Fan.
I work at a Ford Assembly Plant and our transmissions and engines are never received ā€œdryā€. The only fluids we add are anti-freeze, brake fluid, windshield fluid and gas. Iā€™m not 100% sure on the Fiesta plant but will send them an email.
Cheers
OK, thanks!

I was just speculating since THAT is the generally given reason for GM/Ford/etc. to spec a Dexron 3 type ATF fluid in all of their manual Tremec T56/TR6060 gearboxes (i.e.; one less different/EXTRA fluid tank on their assembly line). ;)

Last edited:
So I think it took me about 6 hours to replace it, mostly because of a damn bolt BEHIND the downpipe. That aside, it seems like the clutch wasn't worn out as much as the pressure plate/ flywheel were glazed:

I will say that after the replacement, the car works fine, but the clutch pedal doesn't feel like it used to. Now it feels like a VW clutch pedal, which by that I mean extremely light and weak. The positive feedback like my old clutch is missing. I bled it out for some time after replacing the slave cylinder, but I couldn't get it to firm up more.

I'm thinking I will bleed it some more this week after driving it a bit in hopes that there was just some air still in the lines that will come out after it gets jostled around, unless anyone can provide suggestions.
When I got my transmission replaced I also noticed a lighter weaker clutch pedal. However after the second or third day after it went back to normal.

felopr

i will say this morning (was 20 degrees Fahrenheit) the gear 300 felt SUPER thick
when i first switch the oem tranny oil, i used gear 300 and yes, i also though that is was thick in the mornings (60ish-70ish F) when the car was cold. i did switch to motul DCTF and i find it better paired for our cars IMO
i wonder if [MENTION=5976]ron@whoosh[/MENTION] can put some in his website, since he already have 300's for sale

Last edited:

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
when i first switch the oem tranny oil, i used gear 300 and yes, i also though that is was think in the mornings (60ish-70ish F) when the car was cold. i did switch to motul DCTF and i find it better paired for our cars IMO
i wonder if [MENTION=5976]ron@whoosh[/MENTION] can put some in his website, since he already have 300's for sale
just added it[twothumb]