Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anybody cross-shopped mk7 GTI?

Hi there. Looking for an engaging daily driver. I've been without a car for two months, used to have a mk6 GTI.

Of course, the mk7 GTI is in the race, that Swiss army knife of a car. However, the mk7 gets high marks on engineering but low marks on character. I'm still hoping for a low mileage mk5.

Then there's the BRZ. I test drove it, and while it's fun on any road that's not straight, I'll be driving it 5 days a week just straight commuting. I wanted something with more power and easier to park (the driveway is barely wide enough for the GTI)

The FiST isn't a looker. Looks like a lowered Forester. I haven't test driven it yet but from the way are telling me about it, it's the best FWD car for someone who cares about driving.

I'm curious about what people were shopping against when they decided to go for the FiST.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I love my fist but I'm currently looking at the options you mentioned. I also drive a lot for work and why I'm looking at a gti with little better interior. At 60k my fist is starting to get some interior noises etc.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
My last few vw’s left me absolutely sure that I never want to own a modern vw that was out of warranty. That being said, the mk7 gti is a fine car, it’s just a bit over engineered to the point of feeling sterile. A lot of the joy of past generations has been engineered out. Plenty quick, well made, and comfortable,

I was also cross shopping the brz- I couldn’t rationalize the money when I was already planning power mods just to be happy with it as a daily- it’s just too much money for what you get. 22-23k otd for a brz would be reasonable, but not a penny more. The value isn’t there. In a few years picking up a used one for 10-12k and turbocharging the nuts off it is the better option for me. If the brz had the st’s powerband I’d have purchased in a heartbeat.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I briefly considered the GTI, but a friend who's a 25+ year foreign car mechanic told me he'd never own a VW if he planned on keeping it for more than two years, due to reliability issues. That was all I needed to hear about that. The only thing I liked more about the GTI was the nicer interior, but when you're driving the car you're not looking at that. The FiST is nicer to drive in every way.
The BRZ I gave more serious consideration to. I started a thread about it on my other car forum, and a friend who'd had one said he sold it because the rear suspension travel was so limited that it was massively uncomfortable on the bad LA roads. I already have a 2-seat Japanese sports car so the greater practicality of the FiST for a DD made it more appealing than the BRZ, as did the substantial extra power. This was over a year ago and I definitely made the right decision for me.
Also consider that the FiST doesn't appear like it's going to be around much longer, as has been discussed in other threads.

Last edited:
I can definitely comment on this as I have both. 2017 FiST, and 2016 VW MK7 GTI/wPerformancePackage.
Actually got the GTI first, then the FiST just a few days ago.

GTI is best all around car PERIOD in my opinion anyway. Big enough to carry 5, great MPG, and interior is fantastic. The tuning potential for the MK7 GTI with the EA888 Gen 3 is ridiculous. Makes crazy power on cheap upgrades. Had a BMS piggyback on a totally stock car and made 273whp and 332wtq for a 299$ piggyback that would be warranty safe (as long as you take it off before getting worked on at dealership) Burger Tuning actually uses my dyno on the purchase page (http://www.burgertuning.com/vw_volkswagen_Group2_JB1_tuner.html).

Currently FBO with COBB AP, running a MAPerf map 2, just waiting for Cobb to come out with a DSG tune before getting a custom tune from 5150 racing and then upgrading to the Golf R turbo in the near future. Even with PerfPackage with the LSD, traction is the downfall because of ridiculous torque. Most tunes put the power up on the top end of RPM instead of the low because of this, which doesn't seem as much fun if you are coming from like a FoST (where the power is on the low end and pulls hard fast), but once it gets in the higher RPM range, good grief the GTI just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling. Best way I can explain it is, the FiST feels faster than you are actually going, the GTI feels slower than the speed it's actually at. (FiST feels like you are going 90mph, but only going 70mph vs. the GTI feels like it's only going 70mph, but actually going 90mph).

I bought the FiST because i've always wanted one, and I wanted manual car with a warranty, as my other cars are so modified that i'm scared to even drive by a VW dealership without them voiding my warranty. lol.

Absolutely love my FiST, since it has so much aftermarket support as it's been out for awhile now. Wife made a comment yesterday that it seems like i like the Ford more than the VW, and at this point and time, i'm not sure if she is correct or not. I drove them back to back yesterday and it's like two different personalities, kinda like a mistress and loving wife lol. Mistress (FiST) is so playful and cheapish, and the Loving Wife (GTI) is serious and gets shit done.

just my .2 cents. I'm very happy to have both. Either car you can't go wrong.

Before I bought my Fist, I always owned VWs. Every single one I ever owned was an unreliable piece of crap. I'm sure everything in the above post is true but...once it has about 60k on it expect it to break down constantly and to start hemorrhaging money.

Every time you drive a VW with any miles on it plan on a break down.

zanethan

I think you also need to consider the FoST. It's not a popular opinion around here but if your mostly doing highway commuting the FoST is better than the FiST. It has a better interior and is more practical (although the FiST is practical as well).

I've owned both the FiST and the FoST. They both have their merits but I think the FoST is a better all around car. The FiST is a better auto cross/canyon carver.

Hi there. Looking for an engaging daily driver. I've been without a car for two months, used to have a mk6 GTI.

Of course, the mk7 GTI is in the race, that Swiss army knife of a car. However, the mk7 gets high marks on engineering but low marks on character. I'm still hoping for a low mileage mk5.

Then there's the BRZ. I test drove it, and while it's fun on any road that's not straight, I'll be driving it 5 days a week just straight commuting. I wanted something with more power and easier to park (the driveway is barely wide enough for the GTI)

The FiST isn't a looker. Looks like a lowered Forester. I haven't test driven it yet but from the way are telling me about it, it's the best FWD car for someone who cares about driving.

I'm curious about what people were shopping against when they decided to go for the FiST.
I had a MK6 GTI before my FiST. It was a good car, but I never loved it. I love my FiST. My MK6 just had so many issues that I felt like I didn't want to go through the same situation with a MK7. Not to mention German depreciation is a bitch. Is the GTI interior and finish better? Yes. Is it faster? Yes. But the FiST just ticked all the right boxes for me, and the cons were totally livable. I commute almost 100 mi daily with no issues or complaints at all.

DaveG99

GTI's are almost twice the price. They are nice but id rather have my fist.

Any VW or Audi is going to cost a ridiculous amount of money to repair and to mod. My buddy spent $1600 Just for a new clutch because once you tune them the stock clutch cant handle the power. I can get a new turbo for that on the fist.

And if I was going to spend $35k on a car it wouldn't be a GTI.

Before I bought my Fist, I always owned VWs. Every single one I ever owned was an unreliable piece of crap. I'm sure everything in the above post is true but...once it has about 60k on it expect it to break down constantly and to start hemorrhaging money.

Every time you drive a VW with any miles on it plan on a break down.
I totally understand the hate for VW's, but honestly that has changed with the newer models. Kinda like Hyundai/Kia used to be the most unreliable cars, then as time passed, they slowly started getting much better with build and reliability. So far as i know about the newer GTI's/Golf R's of the MK7 generation, there hasn't been too much of a problem with reliability. Also, I'm totally neutral when it comes to brand loyalty, I have German cars, Japanese cars and American cars, and of the 3, the American cars have been nightmares for me when it comes to reliability. But that doesn't dissuade me one way or another from choosing which car I decide to buy and I actually keep my cars on avg about 8 years. (Except for Mitsubishi's, my EVOX was always had something go wrong even when it was stock).

I'm subscribed to multiple forums: VW/Chevy/BMW/Honda/EVO and now Ford, and each of them say the same negative thing about reliability about another car manufacturer so I take it with a grain of salt. I do keep extended warranties on my cars though so that may be the reason i don't care too much about reliability when my cars get older and higher up in mileage.

I totally understand the hate for VW's, but honestly that has changed with the newer models. Kinda like Hyundai/Kia used to be the most unreliable cars, then as time passed, they slowly started getting much better with build and reliability. So far as i know about the newer GTI's/Golf R's of the MK7 generation, there hasn't been too much of a problem with reliability. Also, I'm totally neutral when it comes to brand loyalty, I have German cars, Japanese cars and American cars, and of the 3, the American cars have been nightmares for me when it comes to reliability. But that doesn't dissuade me one way or another from choosing which car I decide to buy and I actually keep my cars on avg about 8 years. (Except for Mitsubishi's, my EVOX was always had something go wrong even when it was stock).

I'm subscribed to multiple forums: VW/Chevy/BMW/Honda/EVO and now Ford, and each of them say the same negative thing about reliability about another car manufacturer so I take it with a grain of salt. I do keep extended warranties on my cars though so that may be the reason i don't care too much about reliability when my cars get older and higher up in mileage.
The MK7's are still somewhat new. The only issues I've seen with them are infotainment issues, turbos blowing, and other misc. issues. VW seemed to work out most kinks from the MK6. Still, the depreciation is there, and the, at this point, questionable long term reliability.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
For me, even if I was totally neutral on nameplates/company country of origin (which I am most definitely NOT! as most on here know so well LOL), the new Golf body styles just do not appeal to me aesthetically AT ALL (WAY TOO 'bland').

As much as everyone (even some on here) put down OUR car's body style ("little econoshitbox" etc.), it is MUCH more distinctively (and pleasingly, for the ST at least) designed than most other 'hot hatches' out there, IMO. [wink] [thumb]