Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Roof Leak in Rear

That’s a very detailed thread, thanks for sharing.
My car doesn’t have a sunroof 😭😭😭
It’s raining today and I still cannot locate this leak! I’m determined to solve it and when I do I will share.

I don't know if this helps, but I noticed that I can get water in the trunk if I park with the nose pointing uphill, but none if it's parked nose pointing downhill.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
That’s a very detailed thread, thanks for sharing.
My car doesn’t have a sunroof 😭😭😭
It’s raining today and I still cannot locate this leak! I’m determined to solve it and when I do I will share.
Snapchat-1669977066.jpg
This is where the water get in on mine. I still don't have a solution other than a towel to soak up the water and a car cover when I'm parked. It's annoying because I don't want any rust to start forming. I've thought about pulling out the carpet so I could monitor it.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The video towards the end of that thread details several other possible sources (minus the door seals). I'd be interested in adding your experiences as well... once you get it all licked.

Have to pull it apart and inspect the seals. It might be something as simple as they weren't properly installed. May need replacement seals and/or caulk beneath to help them.

After stripping out the interior, have someone hose down the exterior while you watch from the inside. Make sure you have a POWERFUL LED light. I find that cell phones are good for peaking in spots where our big fat heads won't fit.

You guys are awesome, thank you for the help.
I actually did exactly that, pulled the sill panels off so I can see inside, repositioned the seals, backed the car outside and had my friend hose it off while I sat inside watching for water with my snap on light.
this one is even stumping me, but I’ll find it and I’ll share how I fix it.

You guys are awesome, thank you for the help.
I actually did exactly that, pulled the sill panels off so I can see inside, repositioned the seals, backed the car outside and had my friend hose it off while I sat inside watching for water with my snap on light.
this one is even stumping me, but I’ll find it and I’ll share how I fix it.

Ok friends. Here’s how I fixed the leak *so far*

took some dum dum and placed it on the edges of the seams, and stuffed the door seals back on. So far it’s dry underneath the carpet now. I will continue to monitor it, but so far so good. We’ve had some significant rainfall here too.

Hey friends.
Seems this topic has been beat to death, but I’m still chasing this water leak. A year later.
I completely gutted the entire car searching for it, pulled the entire interior out minus the dash.
Had the back hatch apart, rear cover off, tail lights out. I Seam-sealed every clip, every gromet, replaced that awful and useless factory tape (ford, come on!) and I even got new rivets for the bumper guides and seam sealed the new rivets in. ($40 on rivets, for real?) it still leaks. There’s still water in the spare tire well.
Car does not have a sunroof and the headliner/top of quarters remain dry. Has anyone successfully solved this?
I used the ProForm black seam sealer.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
With the interior pulled out, did you have an assistant hose down the rear + wheel wells while you were inside?

With the interior pulled out, did you have an assistant hose down the rear + wheel wells while you were inside?
Yes, absolutely. There are no obvious entry points that I can visually pick up; it’s only after heavy rain that I find the water.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My wife's Fiesta had a leak with water in the footwell on the passenger side. Turns out that the drainage holes behind the dash under the windscreen were blocked with leaves and crap so the water was trapped. Found its way into the car!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
@bullitt1516 - I have the same question as @dhminer. Does it have to be driven in order for the water to find its way in? If the answer is yes, put the vehicle up on ramps and spray underneath from front to back. Have the front end much higher than the rear. Also hit the wheel wells. If the answer is no, make sure that hose is placing a lot of water in the top seams of the hatch. Make sure the wire harness between hatch and body isn't leaking though, I suspect that might wet the roof liner, which I understand isn't the case with yours.

My wife's Fiesta had a leak with water in the footwell on the passenger side. Turns out that the drainage holes behind the dash under the windscreen were blocked with leaves and crap so the water was trapped. Found its way into the car!
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/how-to-keep-crud-out-of-the-reservoir.30410/

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Hey friends.
Seems this topic has been beat to death, but I’m still chasing this water leak. A year later.
I completely gutted the entire car searching for it, pulled the entire interior out minus the dash.
Had the back hatch apart, rear cover off, tail lights out. I Seam-sealed every clip, every gromet, replaced that awful and useless factory tape (ford, come on!) and I even got new rivets for the bumper guides and seam sealed the new rivets in. ($40 on rivets, for real?) it still leaks. There’s still water in the spare tire well.
Car does not have a sunroof and the headliner/top of quarters remain dry. Has anyone successfully solved this?
I used the ProForm black seam sealer.
I had a similar leak. The hatch itself was not quite tight enough when latched. I moved the latchpoint inward a few mm (takes a torqx bit) and the leaking has stopped. e163814_eur_580.jpg

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Consider using leak indicators around suspect entry points.

For example if you get water in the spare wheel well just parked, lightly dust areas with white baby powder. Best case scenario, there's a trail of washed away dust, leading you back to the source. Arts and craft store might be able to suggest something else to use.