Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Roof Leak in Rear

XanRules

Hi all,

Alright, 180 miles on the clock and first issue! Absolutely torrential downpour last night, opened the trunk this morning and there was some standing water on the pillar where the rear seatbelt is mounted. Headliner was soaked in that area. I popped off the plastic cover and didn’t see any visible leaks or anything, but the headliner is soaked running along the drivers side of the car.

Anybody run into this? Gonna try to take it in tomorrow. Suffice it to say I’m not stoked on the cars build quality right now. Just wanted to see if anyone’s run into this and fixed it themselves.

Hi all,

Alright, 180 miles on the clock and first issue! Absolutely torrential downpour last night, opened the trunk this morning and there was some standing water on the pillar where the rear seatbelt is mounted. Headliner was soaked in that area. I popped off the plastic cover and didn’t see any visible leaks or anything, but the headliner is soaked running along the drivers side of the car.

Anybody run into this? Gonna try to take it in tomorrow. Suffice it to say I’m not stoked on the cars build quality right now. Just wanted to see if anyone’s run into this and fixed it themselves.
Yes this can be a common issue with the Fiesta. It can leak from a couple of different points, the first are taped up plugs behind the tail lights and second which my car also had an issue with the weld point on the roof near the rear hatch may have a defect that will allow water in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Thread Starter #3
Yes this can be a common issue with the Fiesta. It can leak from a couple of different points, the first are taped up plugs behind the tail lights and second which my car also had an issue with the weld point on the roof near the rear hatch may have a defect that will allow water in

That weld spot is what it sounds like, not the taillight. Was yours a quick/easy fix? Again, I am not stoked on having to bring it in for this kind of a repair so soon.

me32

1000 Post Club

What was the fix for your car? I don't have the issue. Just wondering

What was the fix for your car? I don't have the issue. Just wondering
The weld spot on the drivers side and both plugs behind the taillights, Ford uses almost looks like duct tape to seal holes and overtime the tape dries out and leaks. My dealer spent 9 hrs figuring it out and I have the extended warranty and they figured out late in the repair that the warranty wouldn’t cover it. They charged me three hours or about $500. Still had to pay a body shop to seal up weld which they used some sort of special glue or sealant

me32

1000 Post Club
The weld spot on the drivers side and both plugs behind the taillights, Ford uses almost looks like duct tape to seal holes and overtime the tape dries out and leaks. My dealer spent 9 hrs figuring it out and I have the extended warranty and they figured out late in the repair that the warranty wouldn’t cover it. They charged me three hours or about $500. Still had to pay a body shop to seal up weld which they used some sort of special glue or sealant

Ford didn't help with repair under customer satisfaction?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Dealer said Ford's water intrusion problem was "from chips around the edges of the windshield". Makes sense given that the bare metals behind the dash have a nice coating of corrosion from elevated humidity levels.

Ford didn't help with repair under customer satisfaction?
I phoned and complained to Ford Canada and they pretty much did nothing other than contact the dealer and asked to talk to my service provider. Which from there did nothing

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Saying the leak was at the weld point for the hatch's hinges ? Service Advisor probably told'em you rode in with the hatch open. [;)]

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Thread Starter #10
Mine is at the top of the taillight and/or right under the roof rail, the area around the hinges was bone dry. Very specific, localized area was wet.

I've never paid much attention to my less than 3 month old 2017 other than to drive it. We have had some torrential rains recently, plus I have washed the car with a pressure washer, so I'm anxious now when I get home from work tonight to check for water intrusion anywhere.

So from what went through I would strongly advise anyone dealing with this issue outside of warranty to take their car to a bodyshop as I strongly believe a bodyshop will be more efficient fixing the leak

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Thread Starter #13
Took it in yesterday. There was no rear sunroof seal. At all. Just never got installed. Water was just being dumped into the little channel in the headliner that holds the drain tube. They installed the seal and I’m taking it back in this weekend to replace the headliner, which got creased and beat up by the presence of water and being pulled out and bent while we were hunting the leak.

Good service but not a positive omen for the car’s build quality.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Another 4:59PM vehicle. [rolleyes] In addition to the water intrusion around the chipped edges of the windshield, one of the vacuum hoses was routed incorrectly in the engine bay. (eventually friction would wear a hole in it as a result)

Took it in yesterday. There was no rear sunroof seal. At all. Just never got installed. Water was just being dumped into the little channel in the headliner that holds the drain tube. They installed the seal and I’m taking it back in this weekend to replace the headliner, which got creased and beat up by the presence of water and being pulled out and bent while we were hunting the leak.

Good service but not a positive omen for the car’s build quality.
Maybe it is a positive omen insofar as you traced down a specific, repairable issue. It would have been worse if you were chasing some elusive body weld or other issue and you were finding no definitive cause.

Last edited:
OP
XanRules

XanRules

Thread Starter #16
Maybe it is a positive omen insofar as you traced down a specific, repairable issue. It would have been worse if you were chasing some illusive body weld or other issue and you were finding no definitive cause.
I like your style.

OP
XanRules

XanRules

Thread Starter #17
Just as a quick update the dealer is tentatively refusing to replace the headliner. I took it home and will be contacting Ford in the morning.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I know this is an old thread, bare with me here. I fixed the water leak in the wheel well of the trunk in my 17 FiST, now I have a major water pooling issue under the passenger footwell. Carpet is soaked. This one I cannot locate.
Check the front passenger door seal at the bottom. Mines leaking there. I just stuff a towel in between the seat and the side of the car

Intuit

3000 Post Club