Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is the X-47 for me

I'm trying to put my mod budget together for 2018 and have to make some choices between my FiST and G8. I'm currently running a Stratified tune with a Whoosh intercooler and E30. If I don't go to the track, how much would an X-47 benefit me in daily driving? Is it worth it?

Thanks,

George

Sub'd. I'm in the same boat. Having previously owned a Focus ST that I upgraded to a GTX2867r, I can assume that it should be a glorious addition to street performance. My biggest concern is traction as I can't maintain it now. Havent toyed with the Cobb traction control yet. Hopefully some owners will chime in. Inquiring minds want to know.

AzNightmare

I find the term "daily driving" too generic of a term. It depends on your commute, whether you're stuck in rush hour Mon-Fri in a big city, if you ever leave the city, does your commute contain back roads, etc.

Then it also depends on your personality, are you a lead foot driver? Do you like to go WOT on every green light if you're the lead car, (even if it means slowing down just a block later because of a red light, or a Prius in your way, etc.)

But based on what I've read, seems like no one that owns one actually lives in a big city with traffic congestion, or if they do, their work is 50 miles away through some twisty mountains or something. lol

jeff

2000 Post Club
I'm trying to put my mod budget together for 2018 and have to make some choices between my FiST and G8. I'm currently running a Stratified tune with a Whoosh intercooler and E30. If I don't go to the track, how much would an X-47 benefit me in daily driving? Is it worth it?

Thanks,

George
Hey George, welcome.

I put together a review thread for people in your situation, maybe it will be helpful to you, click below:

Honest review X-47 turbo

To that I'll add this after a few months of driving with the X47, if you're in city traffic all the time the answer is definitely NO. You won't get the benefit of the X47 until after 4,500 rpms. Until then, it's similar to stock. So if you're in the city stop and go all the time, stay on the stock turbo and maybe do some bolt-ons or get an e30 tune, the car will be tons of fun. Really the X47 or any upgraded turbo setup shines when getting into the 4,500-7,000 rpm range. It's when you want to hammer it around 2,500 rpms and zip to redline, which you will never do safely in city traffic. There's a very addictive linear rush of power, one that's really only safe/practical to use when you have a stretch of road. Where I live I hit 3-4 lights on a 20-minute commute to work, so there is plenty of fun to be had, and the setup is really enjoyable....come out of corners, floor it in 3rd, come from a stop light, floor it to 60 in 2nd, floor it on the on-ramps, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Bottom line "real world" review in one sentence: The X47 gives stock-like power until 4,500rpms; then, instead of die off, it actually continues and increases, feels sort of like VTEC, kicking it up a notch for the 2nd half of the powerband....get better octane and you're passing V8s. You need good long roads or a track to do all that though.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other specific questions and I'll chime in.

OP
G
Thread Starter #6
Thanks Jeff! That's exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately where I live and commute to, there's not as much opportunity to stretch the FiSTs legs as much as you can. This is part of the reason I haven't bumped the G8 into a higher than bolt-on category. I figured if I ever started going back to the drag strip, I might try the nitrous route. Fortunately E85 is a 5 minute drive for me.

George

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thanks Jeff! That's exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately where I live and commute to, there's not as much opportunity to stretch the FiSTs legs as much as you can. This is part of the reason I haven't bumped the G8 into a higher than bolt-on category. I figured if I ever started going back to the drag strip, I might try the nitrous route. Fortunately E85 is a 5 minute drive for me.

George
Sure thing.

My advice would be to pass on the turbo upgrade...you already have a 90% optimized stock setup (sorry I didn’t read all of your original post earlier); you have the Pontiac for big power, use that on the weekends and enjoy the Fiesta as a commuter.

hmm I have a x37 with a cpe intercooler. 220 hp on crap gas 255 on e30. very usable. very fun and a keeper. lots of daily driving and road trips. would not go more and not any less either.

The X37/X47 are perfectly matched for this 1.6L imo. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hybrid turbos over even the big turbos. I think the best way to describe them is you get the full "pull" feeling that the OEM turbo provides for a ~200-500 rpm window, and extends it to provide that same feeling for almost 3,000 rpm. The powerband and area under the curve is increased massively, making the car significantly faster.

Are they for everyone? No. But I do think for those who want to increase the powerband beyond the tiny window that the OEM turbo provides, it's a worthwhile upgrade. Just know it's not gonna make the car a monster or anything though. Hell a bone stock MK7 GTI with a tune and $300 downpipe would put bus lengths on my car. But they still balance out the car with the power to go with the capable chassis.

AzNightmare

To that I'll add this after a few months of driving with the X47, if you're in city traffic all the time the answer is definitely NO. You won't get the benefit of the X47 until after 4,500 rpms. Until then, it's similar to stock. So if you're in the city stop and go all the time, stay on the stock turbo and maybe do some bolt-ons or get an e30 tune, the car will be tons of fun.

Bottom line "real world" review in one sentence: The X47 gives stock-like power until 4,500rpms; then, instead of die off, it actually continues and increases, feels sort of like VTEC, kicking it up a notch for the 2nd half of the powerband....get better octane and you're passing V8s. You need good long roads or a track to do all that though.
Thanks for that info. That's something good to know to confirm I'm "done" with my car. Maybe a few more aesthetic mods and I'm ready to just sit back and enjoy.
While turbo upgrade isn't THAT expensive for the gains you get, it still is a significant amount of money if it doesn't suit your driving and environment. The 2500-5000 rpm is more than enough for city driving and the occasional highway driving that I need to do. I'm personally not interested in roll races, and when I go on cruises with friends, we usually pick the twisty routes where we can toss the car more, and less top end power. So I think this confirms turbo upgrade is not for me. I'm still working on finalizing my E30 tune... can't wait until spring when I can put my summer tires back on, lol. [biggrin]

DaveG99

I'm not sure but I would guess 270whp. I know of atleast two people here in Dallas that broke the 300whp barrier but just slightly on E30.

On 93 oct 270 ish is where the car will be. But there is a lot left in the turbo for more power with better fuel. I made 317 whp with the help of aux fuel and on e60. On the 93 tune the car feels good and will be right next to a bone stock 5.0 mustang. Now on the e fuel I will pull on almost any 5.0 that does not have a power adder. I love this turbo! It didn't change the character of the car it just made it a lot faster. It still has all the down low grunt and pulls hard on the top.

The X37/X47 are perfectly matched for this 1.6L imo. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hybrid turbos over even the big turbos. I think the best way to describe them is you get the full "pull" feeling that the OEM turbo provides for a ~200-500 rpm window, and extends it to provide that same feeling for almost 3,000 rpm. The powerband and area under the curve is increased massively, making the car significantly faster.

Are they for everyone? No. But I do think for those who want to increase the powerband beyond the tiny window that the OEM turbo provides, it's a worthwhile upgrade. Just know it's not gonna make the car a monster or anything though. Hell a bone stock MK7 GTI with a tune and $300 downpipe would put bus lengths on my car. But they still balance out the car with the power to go with the capable chassis.
Wont make it a monster but I did run a 12.98 @ 113.3 with a 205 street tire[cool]

Wont make it a monster but I did run a 12.98 @ 113.3 with a 205 street tire[cool]
That's quick no doubt, but yeah it definitively doesn't make it a monster. Again, our main competition runs quicker than those times with just a tune and a $300 downpipe on pump gas.

+1 for not changing the character of the car. I honestly think it improves it all around.

OP
G
Thread Starter #17
This is funny. Jeff talked me out of it and most everybody else is talking me back into it. LOL. I turn 50 next year so maybe I make the FiST into more of an economical mid-life crisis car. New X-47 + tune for $2200 vs. $6500 for a Magnacharger or LSA + cam for the G8.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Great information. I really like the idea of the X47, but that 300whp is my goal, and without easy access to e30 it kind of just puts me off about it. Though Im sure 270whp would be a blast too.

That's quick no doubt, but yeah it definitively doesn't make it a monster. Again, our main competition runs quicker than those times with just a tune and a $300 downpipe on pump gas.

+1 for not changing the character of the car. I honestly think it improves it all around.
Maybe on the strip but on the street with a 40 roll it will not be close. Here is a video of my car vs a ctsv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q0ZpsaJRpM. I was only on 93 oct fuel so I was down 40 whp compared to my e60 tune but he had to spray a 150 shot to pass me.

Maybe on the strip but on the street with a 40 roll it will not be close. Here is a video of my car vs a ctsv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q0ZpsaJRpM. I was only on 93 oct fuel so I was down 40 whp compared to my e60 tune but he had to spray a 150 shot to pass me.
I loved those guys' reactions in that video. I think im going to X47 route in the spring.