Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FMIC really necessary?

I agree completely, don't get me wrong. I would absolutely love to have an upgraded intercooler, it gets hot and humid as shit here in the summer and he car definitely makes more power, back to back, with one.

For day to day stuff with short bursts here and there? Not necessary, especially with some e30 in the tank. If you want to squeeze every ponyounce, every time, go for it, it's certainly hurting nothing but your wallet. But for that short, one or two gear hit to get past someone driving super slow/passing, or a playful stoplight to stoplight burst, it doesn't matter.... at least on the stock turbo. Bigger turbo, absolutely go bigger IC.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I agree with a lot of the counterpoints on here as I have also found the stock intercooler in certain climates will work ok. I know people mentioning the heatsoak on a dyno run and that makes sense, but I have yet to do a dyno pull with my car and never plan to. 99.99% of the time is spent driving to and from point A and B on the street. Over half the year is spent with boost levels under 10psi, and 4 months of that half of the year is spent below freezing. I did see an improvement when I upgraded to the Mountune intercooler in the summer when temps were near or above 90'F. For the few high boost on-highway ramps and sitting stuck in traffic, the charge temp was lower and the Mountune intercooler did cool faster when moving. For daily transportation in moderate temps in which it doesn't get into the 90's or you have extended stop and go traffic, the stock intercooler does ok. If you have higher ambient temps and lots of stop-and-go traffic, I would surely suggest the upgraded intercooler. The best advice is to monitor the charge temps with the Accessport and see what are the high values you reach when at highway speed on a hot day for your area, how high does the temp rise when sitting in slow moving traffic, how fast does it drop, and how many times those events happen. Also, check your intercooler fins and fix them often. I noticed a difference with the stock intercooler after I would either fix all the fins or just swap out to a new stock intercooler. It is faster for me to just swap intercoolers than sit on the garage floor with a pair of tweezers and a screwdriver fixing all the fins. The Mountune fins are much stronger than the factory ones. You can also block off the sides of the intercooler to make sure as much air as possible goes through and not around the intercooler. This also an effective modification that increases the ability for the intercooler to transfer heat to the air passing over the fins. That works for both the stock or aftermarket intercooler.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Fwiw my charge temp would jump to 140F after a single 4th gear pull from 50 to 100ish. And it wouldn't cool down any cooler than 125F even while cruising at 55mph for 15min. This was with 100F ambient temp and stock intercooler. Did it run fine? Of course. But with the Depo intercooler it's like it's always winter. [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm just saying, there's been cases of lost power with a down pipe. I've been looking to go full 3" turbo back. But lost power is something this car actually can afford. Regardless, I don't do constant pulls enough to really soak the intercooler. I'd rather have a 1j r intake and a full 3" exhaust rather than the intercooler. Just my 2¢.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm just saying, there's been cases of lost power with a down pipe. I've been looking to go full 3" turbo back. But lost power is something this car actually can afford. Regardless, I don't do constant pulls enough to really soak the intercooler. I'd rather have a 1j r intake and a full 3" exhaust rather than the intercooler. Just my 2¢.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

DaveG99

Bad advice! And you're in Florida.

Its not about constant pulls. Any acceleration will heat soak the stock intercooler in the summer. ESPECIALLY in Florida. The FMIC allows you to run a more aggressive tune with more timing which makes the car faster. The FMIC and tune are the MOST important upgrades you can make to the car if you want to improve performance. There is no debating this FACT. Ask anyone who knows anything about turbo cars and they will tell you this.

And a down pipe doesn't make the car lose power. It adds some torque down low on the stock turbo which is debatable if that is a good thing or not.

warning, broken record repeat> the stock ic is junk. mountunes' ic is barely enough with the stock turbo. it was worthless with the x37 and any temps past 75 outside. even in Minnesota that's simply not effective. it took the cp-e to get it done.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
warning, broken record repeat> the stock ic is junk. mountunes' ic is barely enough with the stock turbo. it was worthless with the x37 and any temps past 75 outside. even in Minnesota that's simply not effective. it took the cp-e to get it done.
Yes...yes...and yes...I agree

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

For the cost of the 2JR Intake and a 3" turbo back, you can just buy a Whoosh Intercooler and a used Accessport and it will be night and day difference. You will barely feel a difference with the intake and exhaust, you WILL feel a difference with an intercooler and a tune.

For the cost of the 2JR Intake and a 3" turbo back, you can just buy a Whoosh Intercooler and a used Accessport and it will be night and day difference. You will barely feel a difference with the intake and exhaust, you WILL feel a difference with an intercooler and a tune.
You don't notice power with an intercooler. And most of us have the AP already. And an intercooler cost 100$? Intake is 220, full exhaust is about 300 at my local muffler shop.

DaveG99

You don't notice power with an intercooler. And most of us have the AP already. And an intercooler cost 100$? Intake is 220, full exhaust is about 300 at my local muffler shop.

WHAT???????????

The intercooler allows you to run a more aggressive tune which creates more power. And the cheapest FMIC is about $330.

I know what it CAN do with a tune. But just putting an intercooler on itself won't do anything power wise. You have to retune, or get a tune. I guess I won't be so literal next time? Lol. I don't assume.

And that's what I was saying. Intake + exhaust is about 550. AP alone is 400, then a tune... You're at about 450. You can't get a intercooler and AP with tune at the same price of intake and exhaust.

Trying to reply in-between work is not fun haha.

DaveG99

I know what it CAN do with a tune. But just putting an intercooler on itself won't do anything power wise. You have to retune, or get a tune. I guess I won't be so literal next time? Lol. I don't assume.

And that's what I was saying. Intake + exhaust is about 550. AP alone is 400, then a tune... You're at about 450. You can't get a intercooler and AP with tune at the same price of intake and exhaust.

Trying to reply in-between work is not fun haha.
Ok. Maybe I misunderstood. There is so much ignorance in this thread it boggles my mind.

Haha sorry. Also said it was my 2¢. I'd rather have noise over already great performance.

That's where the disconnnect lies, if you're just out for noise, then your option is far better. And intercooler and tune transforms the car. I'm much more a function person vice noise person.

Also the OP asked about it because he is planning on an AP and tune... so in his case, most of us will stick to yes, you need an intercooler.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
That was an expensive lesson I learned. $350 MTC out performed it.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I know what it CAN do with a tune. But just putting an intercooler on itself won't do anything power wise. You have to retune, or get a tune.
False. An intercooler makes more power in the sense that you don't lose power once the charge temp climbs.

False. An intercooler makes more power in the sense that you don't lose power once the charge temp climbs.

That was worded awkwardly, but overall yes. I agree with that. How ever, in no sense does an intercooler *alone* make more power... It simply retains the power you have by preventing heated air.

Look I'm not disagreeing with you guys, or trying to start race wars over my opinion.