Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Paint issues on 2017 Fiesta ST

Last week I was cleaning my car and I noticed there was some paint peeling/chipping off the hatch of my 2 month old Fiesta ST (It's located between the plastic piece that the Ford emblem is on and the hatch itself). I contacted the dealer and they put a claim in to Ford and the claim was denied. Ford stated, "it looks like the owner stuck a flathead screwdriver in it and chipped the paint". This reponse blew my mind because I don't know of anyone who take a flathead screw driver to the paint of their brand new car. With all that being said I'm not really sure what to do. The dealer said he would keep working on it when he called me the other day but I'm not sure what else he can really do. Anyone having similar issues? Or am I just having an isolated issue? Also I noticed after I started this process that there is what appears to be a bubble in the paint on the roof of my car. I don't have a pic of that right now but I will post that tomorrow as I have yet to bring that up to the dealer.

Attachments

DEss

Last week I was cleaning my car and I noticed there was some paint peeling/chipping off the hatch of my 2 month old Fiesta ST (It's located between the plastic piece that the Ford emblem is on and the hatch itself). I contacted the dealer and they put a claim in to Ford and the claim was denied. Ford stated, "it looks like the owner stuck a flathead screwdriver in it and chipped the paint". This reponse blew my mind because I don't know of anyone who take a flathead screw driver to the paint of their brand new car. With all that being said I'm not really sure what to do. The dealer said he would keep working on it when he called me the other day but I'm not sure what else he can really do. Anyone having similar issues? Or am I just having an isolated issue? Also I noticed after I started this process that there is what appears to be a bubble in the paint on the roof of my car. I don't have a pic of that right now but I will post that tomorrow as I have yet to bring that up to the dealer.
This issue has been brought up before. I think some people got it repaired under warranty. It's just beginning to happen to my '16 as well.

Just buy a touchup color stick from the parts department. It will come in handy over the next few years. You made Ford aware of the issue. They denied the claim. Paint chips are part of the joy. I think the paint on the newest fiesta's is much more fragile than the paint on 2011/ 13 fiesta. My 16 had way more chips within its first year than my 11 had at 90k!

OP
jtuffy96
Thread Starter #4
It's in a difficult spot so if I did go the touch up paint route I might have to find a way to remove that panel... not sure how to do that but I will just have to figure it out.

Is there any chance you could post a picture or two? My ST is scheduled in about a month or so to arrive and I sure will look closely at that area before I accept it. If you can't post pictures, can you tell us what color yours is. Some have said that the tri-coat paints like Platinum White are more durable but I have no idea if that's true. Thanks.

Is there any chance you could post a picture or two? My ST is scheduled in about a month or so to arrive and I sure will look closely at that area before I accept it. If you can't post pictures, can you tell us what color yours is. Some have said that the tri-coat paints like Platinum White are more durable but I have no idea if that's true. Thanks.
The LAST paint color you would ever want is a tri-coat. It is not "spot repair" friendly in any way. It is both expensive from a material cost standpoint, it is also quite tricky to match the shading. It is not a brush touchup type of Finnish.

OP
jtuffy96
Thread Starter #7
I don't have a photo right now but located on the edges of the plastic piece where the ford emblem sits on the hatch. The paint is chipping in the gap between the plastic and the hatch. Hope that made sense and my ST is painted Shadow Black.

I have those same chips on my 2017 shadow black. Plus my rims are rusting from under the paint and now shining through. I plan on wrapping the car and getting new rims anyways. But dang!

OP
jtuffy96
Thread Starter #9
I have those same chips on my 2017 shadow black. Plus my rims are rusting from under the paint and now shining through. I plan on wrapping the car and getting new rims anyways. But dang!
That's crazy! We shouldn't have to be worrying about rust and paint chips so early... and yeah I definitely planned on getting new wheels too and a wrap but one thing at a time lol

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's in a difficult spot so if I did go the touch up paint route I might have to find a way to remove that panel... not sure how to do that but I will just have to figure it out.
Remove the interior hatch plastics, there are 4 10mm nuts that hold it on to the hatch. Mine were NOT tight and the vibration caused the paint to chip off. I'm just going to ask if they'll give me a touch up pen instead of trying to warranty out the paint.

OP
jtuffy96
Thread Starter #11
Remove the interior hatch plastics, there are 4 10mm nuts that hold it on to the hatch. Mine were NOT tight and the vibration caused the paint to chip off. I'm just going to ask if they'll give me a touch up pen instead of trying to warranty out the paint.
I never even thought of that! That might be the issue. I'm going to check that out today. Thanks for the post!

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I never even thought of that! That might be the issue. I'm going to check that out today. Thanks for the post!
you can test it without going through the effort. Tap on the edges of the panel with your fingers. If it flexes a lot they probably aren't tight. The upper edges will always flex more, but the lower and closer you get to the center the less it should move.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Looks like abrasion wear between the panels. Personally speaking and over time, car wax seems to slough off between my panels and so get the same white look between them.

I had the same thing on my 2015, dealership covered it under warranty. They actually resprayed the whole hatch. Try a different dealer.

I would not touch it up just yet. Keep pressing your dealership. 2 month old car should not have that issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a similar problem.

I have been going through a month long voyage of frustration with my dealer regarding this issue. I noticed it when placing my old tags on the new car. They agreed to try to fix the issue but their incompetent paint contractors have done more damage than good. They’ve had three failed attempts at fixing it and are currently trying for a fourth. They claim it wasn’t a warranty problem because it’s damage that could have been caused during transport to the dealership. It’s clearly an issue of the trim piece being too loose or a poor design so I disagree. I was at the dealership yesterday and looked at another new fiesta st on the lot and it had the same issues. Attached is the photo of the other new car on the lot.

Attachments

Last edited:
I have been going through a month long voyage of frustration with my dealer regarding this issue. I noticed it when placing my old tags on the new car. They agreed to try to fix the issue but their incompetent paint contractors have done more damage than good. They’ve had three failed attempts at fixing it and are currently trying for a fourth. They claim it wasn’t a warranty problem because it’s damage that could have been caused during transport to the dealership. It’s clearly an issue of the trim piece being too loose or a poor design so I disagree. I was at the dealership yesterday and looked at another new fiesta st on the lot and it had the same issues. Attached is the photo of the other new car on the lot.
I am not being critical of you for trying to have the dealer fix it, nor am I being critical of a previous poster who had the whole hatch resprayed, BUT, I would buy touch-up paint from Ford and use a micro brush (available at any hobby store) to touch it up and be done with it. To ask for any type of respray for a small, out of the way issue like that is just inviting a lot of dissatisfaction. I bought the Orange Spice touch-up paint from Ford and recall that I thought it was ridiculously expensive, but I have it just in case. I also got the front end, mirrors and full hood clear-filmed on day 3 of my ownership, which is a bunch of money but for me, it is money well spent so I don't have to deal with front-end paint chips.

Soldiersmalls, did you get your st form battlefield ford here in manassas? I noticed not too long after getting my st that the drivers rear window was all scratched up