Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Paint issues on 2017 Fiesta ST

OP
jtuffy96
Thread Starter #41
Well good news is the dealership is going to fix the paint. Bad news is the hood and hatch weren’t isolated issues... checked all the seams of the car like Krug said and every since door is bubbling really badly... a lot more bubbling on the hatch then what I had first seen. So basically the whole car is getting re-painted other then the fenders. I think I have decided to put the car back to stock and probably get rid of it... I don’t want to have to keep going to the dealership for a problem that shouldn’t be happening to a 1 year old car.

OP
jtuffy96
Thread Starter #42
RIP.

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you got a car with lemon paint. That is ridiculous on a new/young vehicle, and I don't blame you for planning to get rid of it. I hope you have a better experience with your next ride.

Now I'm gonna be eyeballing my panel seams more than usual...
That’s what I was thinking too. Might have to go that lemon law route and see what comes of it. Yes keep a very close eye on those seams. It’s hard to see unless you get right up on it. Hopefully nobody has this same issue and I just got the bad apple out of the bunch.

OP
jtuffy96
Thread Starter #43
Given the location and appearance, it really does look like surface contamination before spraying, as if the panels were not prepped/cleaned properly before spray. Or, perhaps the paint (primer?) mix was a bad batch, or the climate control in the shop was wonky that day, or who knows really. I wouldn't be surprised if other vehicles produced same day as yours had the same issue. Explore your options - you don't deserve to lose money on a lemon.
Yeah it could be a number of different things. Hopefully it’s a quick process tho cuz it stresses me out just thinking about it lol. Shouldn’t let it get to me tho. I have done all I can.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
There's certainly a helova lot more positive than negative with the Fiesta ST. With such high part counts, many cars won't be perfect. That's where quality control and post-sale support comes in. The most frustrating thing is that you can't trust that the shops will be able to quell any post-purchase issues and/or not screw-up something else. It seems they cheaped out in some areas, specifically: clear coat, cooling system temperature control, paint thickness, hatch hinges. Messing up on the transmission fill capacity doesn't help either.

I really like the '16 Fiesta ST product. It's the right size and the most powerful among class rivals. Got the right lines and is very fun, a confident to drive. Great product.

A CD player really dates the interior. The dash should've been modernized. Heated mirrors shouldn't be tied to leather seats. Blind spot intrusion warning mirrors, DRL and projector LED lights should've been front and center; really would've helped the vehicle sell at MSRP; instead of well below MSRP.

OP
jtuffy96
Thread Starter #45
There's certainly a helova lot more positive than negative with the Fiesta ST. With such high part counts, many cars won't be perfect. That's where quality control and post-sale support comes in. The most frustrating thing is that you can't trust that the shops will be able to quell any post-purchase issues and/or not screw-up something else. It seems they cheaped out in some areas, specifically: clear coat, cooling system temperature control, paint thickness, hatch hinges. Messing up on the transmission fill capacity doesn't help either.

I really like the '16 Fiesta ST product. It's the right size and the most powerful among class rivals. Got the right lines and is very fun, a confident to drive. Great product.

A CD player really dates the interior. The dash should've been modernized. Heated mirrors shouldn't be tied to leather seats. Blind spot intrusion warning mirrors, DRL and projector LED lights should've been front and center; really would've helped the vehicle sell at MSRP; instead of well below MSRP.
Yes I’m very curious as to what they put a focus on this car besides the engine. Everything else just seems kind of simple. Would have been nice if there was more standard things. Not sure why they give Europe the led drl and not us but what do I know I’m no car manufacturer. I agree tho it is a very fun car and probably the best car I have owned but the paint issues are a little much...

OP
jtuffy96
Thread Starter #48
Yeah it being cheap and fun is the reason I bought it. I didn’t want to have to part it out but I also don’t want to have to keep getting it re-painted. Even tho it is a cheap car there shouldn’t be corrosion already happening on a 1 year old car. I’ve never heard of someone having to get pretty much their whole car re-painted in the first year. That right there tells me there is something wrong because I am very OCD about keeping the car clean and always waxed. I’m sure my car is just an isolated issue as I don’t see many others having quite this issue to the extreme of my car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
jtuffy96
Thread Starter #49
Not the end of the world tho. I’m sure it will get figured out.

OP
jtuffy96
Thread Starter #51
Sonic has these features.

But according to you Ford is saying: Buy bigger if you want quality.

Oh-kay. Bye Ford...
Well said. That is pretty much what they are saying by killing off all their cars... with that move they won’t be getting very many first time younger buyers...

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club

Oh-kay. Bye Ford...
Some people like me have never had any issues with our Fiesta, actually it is probably most owners. My '16 has 1 tiny chip about 1/8th inch round with 28K on it. All cars can have problems.....one thing for sure, the last GM I bought new sat at the dealer along with 5 others like it for 6 weeks when it was 1 month old because GM had no clue why they would not run! But they did offer to RENT us a car while ours were parked at the dealer, traded it 1 week after they got it running for a new Mustang Indy Pace car.
My daughters Audi after warranty cost about $1500 to get through emission testing every year until she got tired of it and dumped it! So I am sorry for those that have problems with their Fiesta. But in over 50 years of driving and many, many new cars for me and our kids most had some type of warranty issues. Quality has zero to do with Fords decision to focus on the higher profit vehicles. As a retired business owner that is just good business, by not selling low profit items in my store we had more room for higher profit items and made more money. If you see a Ford dealer they stock what sells, F-150's. The profit for the dealer and Ford is way better. I was a t a Ford dealer in Knoxville, TN last year looking at a Fusion Sport for my wife. Half the salesmen were outside looking at my '16 ST. The dealer had NEVER had either ST's on their lot. They had never seen one! I too abhor Fords decision for many personal reasons like loving small cars my whole life. But my Fifi will be my last new car for me. I consider it absolutly perfect for me and my needs[wrenchin]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You could have a Honda Civic instead where the paint burnt off the car in 3 years, or a Nissan with headlights that self deteriorating to a yellow nastiness in 3 years as well, oh and the paint self destructs on Nissan's to. I will never understand someone complaining about the car having a CD player not everybody cares about this progressive technology horseshit. Vinyl records are making a huge comeback. it's just like books I hate ebooks I like to hold it in my hands.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
What's funny is I'm only 28. I just refuse to be part of my generation I hate social media, I hate pop music and all this reality star crap that I'm supposed to worship who gives a fuck. Ozzy Osbourne will always be my favorite. I can fix a car, grow a garden, I can change out the dishwasher and I have never owned a damn Facebook page.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Go on any car or motorcycle forum. Paint quality or the lack thereof. Is a very common issue. The EPA has put restrictions. On the amount of VOCs in solvent based paint. Forcing manufacturers to start using water based paints.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Go on any car or motorcycle forum. Paint quality or the lack thereof. Is a very common issue. The EPA has put restrictions. On the amount of VOCs in solvent based paint. Forcing manufacturers to start using water based paints.
Curious if you've had any issues with the orange paint? My partner has one and his mirror caps and area on the front bumper above the grille have started to peel / flake off. Ford will not warranty the paint, they are saying it is normal rock chips (its very obviously not). Now the paint on his roof by the antenna is bubbling so we're gonna have fun with that too... As a side note I have a Magnetic, and I pulled my antenna off to wrap the roof, when I did so ALL of the paint under the antenna peeled off with the antenna. I haven't tried to get it warrantied (I'm sure it'll be something along the lines of "you wrapped your roof the warranty on paint is void") so I'll just keep wrapping the roof.

Oh-kay. Bye Ford...
Nearly every car manufacturer wants to upsell you. Like it or not in the US size and quality are interlonked. Very few premium/luxury subcompacts here.

Also as others have stated, paint sucks now. They’ve banned all the things that make paint durable.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Some people like me have never had any issues with our Fiesta, actually it is probably most owners. My '16 has 1 tiny chip about 1/8th inch round with 28K on it. All cars can have problems.....one thing for sure, the last GM I bought new sat at the dealer along with 5 others like it for 6 weeks when it was 1 month old because GM had no clue why they would not run! But they did offer to RENT us a car while ours were parked at the dealer, traded it 1 week after they got it running for a new Mustang Indy Pace car.
My daughters Audi after warranty cost about $1500 to get through emission testing every year until she got tired of it and dumped it! So I am sorry for those that have problems with their Fiesta. But in over 50 years of driving and many, many new cars for me and our kids most had some type of warranty issues. Quality has zero to do with Fords decision to focus on the higher profit vehicles. As a retired business owner that is just good business, by not selling low profit items in my store we had more room for higher profit items and made more money. If you see a Ford dealer they stock what sells, F-150's. The profit for the dealer and Ford is way better. I was a t a Ford dealer in Knoxville, TN last year looking at a Fusion Sport for my wife. Half the salesmen were outside looking at my '16 ST. The dealer had NEVER had either ST's on their lot. They had never seen one! I too abhor Fords decision for many personal reasons like loving small cars my whole life. But my Fifi will be my last new car for me. I consider it absolutly perfect for me and my needs[wrenchin]
Actually it was me who quoted in this thread,
"............ With such high part counts, many cars won't be perfect. That's where quality control and post-sale support comes in. The most frustrating thing is that you can't trust that the shops will be able to quell any post-purchase issues and/or not screw-up something else. ............"
So the issue isn't that they have issues, as your reply implies.

I do however take issue with the unreserved acceptance, that poor and non-existent support for these issues is not an issue, strictly because the car is both small and ~25k MSRP a.k.a. "cheap". As your story points out, it isn't necessarily issues that put the nail in the coffin of customer loyalty, but post sale support (or lack there of) for such issues.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Nearly every car manufacturer wants to upsell you. Like it or not in the US size and quality are interlonked. Very few premium/luxury subcompacts here.

Also as others have stated, paint sucks now. They’ve banned all the things that make paint durable.
They're not interlocked as tightly as you might assume. The rise of the cross-over is an example. These vehicles are on a car frame, as opposed to the SUV being on small truck frames. Yet the cross-overs enjoy all the same features and more. Then there are the Dodge Ram trucks that jokingly referred to as "shipping crates" for their simplicity and issues. Larger vehicles have all the same issues as the smaller vehicles.

"Upsell" is called paying $800 for a $30 feature, such as GPS Voice Navigation. In other words, you're typically adding to the product, rather than changing it out entirely. When you go to McDonalds, they offer you desert with your meal. They're not trained to try and convince you that you don't want that cheese burger, buy a "Big" Mac instead. Once you tell them what you want, they're trained to get you to add to it; as people don't mind being offered additional whatever. It does however annoy folks, when the sales person pressures you into buying something that is different from what you were originally seeking.

Third, with the reasoning that all paints have been compromised, we should be seeing luxury cars with paint issues as well. I don't expect luxury car level of paint quality, but do expect better than what I've been seeing. If the MSRP was 13k then yeah...

OP
jtuffy96
Thread Starter #60
They're not interlocked as tightly as you might assume. The rise of the cross-over is an example. These vehicles are on a car frame, as opposed to the SUV being on small truck frames. Yet the cross-overs enjoy all the same features and more. Then there are the Dodge Ram trucks that jokingly referred to as "shipping crates" for their simplicity and issues. Larger vehicles have all the same issues as the smaller vehicles.

"Upsell" is called paying $800 for a $30 feature, such as GPS Voice Navigation. In other words, you're typically adding to the product, rather than changing it out entirely. When you go to McDonalds, they offer you desert with your meal. They're not trained to try and convince you that you don't want that cheese burger, buy a "Big" Mac instead. Once you tell them what you want, they're trained to get you to add to it; as people don't mind being offered additional whatever. It does however annoy folks, when the sales person pressures you into buying something that is different from what you were originally seeking.

Third, with the reasoning that all paints have been compromised, we should be seeing luxury cars with paint issues as well. I don't expect luxury car level of paint quality, but do expect better than what I've been seeing. If the MSRP was 13k then yeah...
Couldn’t agree more with this. Even though these cars are just a Fiesta they shouldn’t be treated any different then the other cars in their line-up. Not to mention are cars are suppose to msrp for 24k which isn’t all that cheap really. My problem really isn’t with the dealer at all. They have been nothing but helpful with trying to make my issue right and weren’t pushy when they sold me the car either. They never tried to upsell me to the Focus ST as it was a smaller dealership and they had 1 FiST and 1 FoST. My problem is with Ford Motor Company. I know the problem isn’t the end of the world but for Corrosion to set in after 1 year is not ok no matter how much the car cost... pretty much my whole car has been re-painted and some of the panels more then once... it’s sad cuz it’s a great little car but it’s also a headache trying to make look nice...