Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch slippage

I have 19k on my car. It’s a stage 2 with a stratified tune. Tires are 215/40s. I have a Cobb motormount. I mainly commute and run errands in town. I don’t abuse the car at all. Last night, I used the Launch control offered by the strat tune with the esc off. First gear was fine, second the clutch just slipped. I let everything cool down by driving normal and everything appears a-ok. Other than the smell of clutch it appears to have no after effects. Driving it around today and it seems to grab fine in mid gear pulls with no after effects.

Did I just dodge a bullet or is this a common issue? Searching the forum for answers needed s lot of bad transmission threads. My trans is fine.

Dumping the clutch can do that, on any car. Its less likely to slip the stronger the spring and also the better the friction disc. Don't sweat it, but learn from it. No clutch dumping!

OP
Mr. Pickles
Thread Starter #4
I’ve had a few fwd turbo cars in the past and the front tires have always let go prior to the clutch. I was curious if that was a common issue with the fiesta ST. I’ve had several motorcycles in the past that would slip the clutch at higher rpms under load when the power levels were elevated well about stock. Those were mostly older oil cooled gsxrs. That was remedied with an additional diaphragm clutch spring.

Thanks for the info.

FWIW, an organic disc with a stronger spring will be able to hold more than a 6-puck with stock strength spring. That spring force is important

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Which (like HOW sticky??) 215/40 tires are you using?

And yes, in even your current ambient temps they should be letting go very quickly, especially if they are 200 tread wear or less gumballs in this weather. ;)

OP
Mr. Pickles
Thread Starter #7
My tires are shit tires. I think the treadwear is 300. I’ve been driving the car all day with no issues. I’m thinking I overloaded it

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I’ve had a few fwd turbo cars in the past and the front tires have always let go prior to the clutch. I was curious if that was a common issue with the fiesta ST. I’ve had several motorcycles in the past that would slip the clutch at higher rpms under load when the power levels were elevated well about stock. Those were mostly older oil cooled gsxrs. That was remedied with an additional diaphragm clutch spring.

Thanks for the info.
Hah did you ever accidentally use low friction oil with additives that made your clutch slip? Whoops!

OP
Mr. Pickles
Thread Starter #9
Not with motorcycles. I’ve always used oil specific to bikes and almost never synthetic unless called for by manufacturer