Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST crash and fatality in SOCAL...

twolf

Skimmed through not sure if someone else mentioned this, but they said the crash happened Saturday and they didn't find it till 10am Sunday... couldn't imagine the trauma inflicted by being stuck with your buddy's corpse for that long, knowing it was your fault...

codestp202

Yeah, it's really sad that one of the passengers died and not the driver.

Something like this is the primary reason I only ride by myself on my motorcycle. Even though I wouldn't squid about with my girlfriend on the back, I couldn't live with myself if someone hit us and she got hurt.

I have a question that's sort of on topic. When people make videos of themselves wrecking their cars (and especially motorcycles) while street racing or through other jackassery do insurance company monitor these videos and then refuse to cover the damage? When I see the way some of these people drive and ride in these videos I think I would charge $1,000 a day if I was writing an insurance policy. It's one thing to push your limits but it's another to videotape yourself doing it and then post it online.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
There are a ton of U2b video showing folks taking blind curves in the wrong lane. Just as many drivers/riders are 25% over the yellows and without needing to be. Looks like some fun road but would keep my @$$ well away from it for that reason alone. Craziness is contagious. Just think. Most of these occurrences are not recorded at all, most of those that are recorded don't hit U2b and the overwhelming majority of those that end in catastrophe never get a chance to hit U2b. We got bike trails as wide as some sections of that road. GREAT scenery but I'll pass... no pun intended.

This reminds me of a near miss from some years ago. I was stuck behind a mail cart. https://s3.envato.com/files/75975784/03.jpg One lane each direction. 35mph residential zone. Clear, sunny. Straight road. Someone pulls up behind me. Sits for short minute. More cars start to line up behind him. He honks the horn, annoyed. Ordinarily I'd go around but I'm not budging because the mail cart is sitting on the other side of a hill crest... I can't see traffic coming off the other side of the hill. I don't care if I have to sit for ten minutes. I'll turn around rather than have to risk a head-on. So with another longer honk I just stick my hand out the window and motion the driver to go around. So he does and yip, here comes a car barreling over the hill crest in the oncoming lane... has to brake to avoid kissing the car that just went around me. After witnessing that, the other cars behind him patiently waited as I did. Once the mail cart progressed over the hill, THEN I went around.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Yeah, sometimes it seems to reach the point of brain-dead, "hold my beer and watch THIS", Cleetus rednecked peckerwoodism, combined with a way too strong sense of youthful, thinking of oneself as IMMORTAL. [nono]

That, or simply watching too many Touge FnF movies. ;)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
IT does show to live within your means and life is fragile. But Mother nature does need to have natural selection.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HBEcoBeaST

GMR!!! I grew up in Claremont down the hill. Used to drive and downhill longboard those roads. It's what got me into 'handling' cars.

Lots of crashes especially kids up there[emoji3525] the road turns to gravel on the shoulder and gets washed out with the added random football sized rocks and potholes around blind turns. You can have fun up there but too many out drive their eyes or their abilities. Especially downhill.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I used to organize rallies years ago and wanted to put on the only tarmac rally in the area. I wanted to use the uphill section of Glendora Mountain Rd, 7.5 miles, up to the saddle. Then split the 12 mile run out to Baldy as two stages. Then service at the only privately owned land in the Angeles National Forest. The owner wanted us to put it on. Then do a reverse run of the 12 miles and finish. I put a hell of a lot of my time getting all the permits from the CHP, Fire Dept, Sheriff's Dept and the US Forestry Service and it was looking great until I tried to get permission from a County Supervisor's office, namely Mike Antonovich. We had all the insurance for the evnt as well as access to the SD Search and Rescue chopper should we need it. My application was turned down because Antonovich was afraid that his constituents would not re-elect him if the event went ahead. Those roads are awesome if you know what you're doing!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I can think of many great tarmac rally roads around here as well, but sadly, for the reason you stated, along with MANY MANY others, it just could not happen in this country. [mad]

As of right now, there is only ONE ARA event which even has even a single tarmac stage in it, one of the PAC WEST/northwestern events, I forgot which one.

I am told that our local Super Regional (as opposed to a full NATIONAL) event, The Empire State Rally, will somehow be an all tarmac event in 2021, and I am anxiously looking forward to working/spectating at that event (it will be the ONLY chance I will ever get to see R5 Fiestas {Team McKenna} on TARMAC! [driving]), that is IF this current crisis does not kill the ARA off totally, and end U.S. stage rallying completely. [bigcry]

It is a shame, since most of the events in Ireland are tarmac, but that is another world, where the folks are INTO IT, and don't mind at all having their roads shut down for a few hours at a time, to see a motorsports event blast through. [wink]

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Re rallystaff: It seems that over the decades, "don't tread on me" has gradually become, "can't tread on self." We've gradually outlawed our own ability to put self at risk, on the OFF chance that it MIGHT put someone else at risk. Because laws undeniably change behaviors, (I mean, nobody uses drugs/alcohol anymore,) eventually "Darwin Events" will become a thing of the past. Everyone will sit at home, doing nothing while collecting bailouts erp... loans erp... grants from the Federal Government.