Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST crash and fatality in SOCAL...

http://www.dailybulletin.com/2017/11/12/one-killed-two-injured-in-glendora-ridge-road-crash/

I'm 99% certain this is a FiST. RIP to the party who passed away. Hopefully the injured parties fully recover. For those not familiar with this area people hoon on this road all the time so it gets a lot of focus by the Forest Service and CHP. It's not even wide enough for a centerline. No guardrails, only some old short rock walls to keep you from going over the side. There are a couple exceptions where k-rail has been placed in spots where people have gone over the side repeatedly and died. But there's only so much money and time that can be devoted to patrolling this secluded road so someone goes over the side roughly every 6 months if not less. My opinion: generally speaking the FiST is more car than an 18-year old should be driving.

An 18-year-old Montebello man died and two others teens were hurt when a car plummeted more than 500 feet over the side of Glendora Ridge Road in the Angeles National Forest southwest of Mount Baldy, officials discovered Sunday.

The crash was discovered about 10 a.m. between mile markers 8 and 10 of the winding mountain road, according to California Highway Patrol Officer Peter Nicholson. But the victims may have been stranded at the crash scene for nearly a day, as the crash was believed to have taken place at an unknown time of day Saturday.

Last edited:

codestp202

Sure looks like the ST door sills. The rear triangle glass is the same as well as the vent. I will agree that its a FiST. Sucks, glad the passengers made it

OP
J
Thread Starter #3
Confirmed it's a '17 FiST:
http://abc7.com/1-killed-2-injured-after-car-goes-over-cliff-in-angeles-national-forest/2638526/
http://abc7.com/video/embed/?pid=2639723
ANGELES NATIONAL FOREST (KABC) -- One person died and two others were injured Sunday morning after a vehicle went over the side of a road the day before in the Angeles National Forest.

Los Angeles County Fire officials said the department received a call around 10 a.m. regarding a vehicle down a cliffside on Glendora Ridge Road. Rescue crews found exactly where the vehicle fell after noticing disturbed dirt and hearing cries for help at the bottom of the cliff.

"That section of dirt was not how it normally is. They pulled the fire engine over, yelled over the hill to see if somebody needed help and they heard someone calling for help," Capt. Brian Jordan said.

The mangled vehicle was found about 900 feet below the road.

Crews said the brush and shrubbery, which was more than 6 feet tall, made it difficult for crews to access the vehicle on top of the incredibly steep conditions.

Authorities said the two people who survived suffered broken bones. The pair were airlifted to trauma centers.

During the investigation, authorities learned that the driver, identified as Chris Flores, 18, of Montebello, was driving a 2017 Ford Fiesta eastbound on the road at an unknown high speed Saturday night.

Flores was approaching a right curve in the road but because he was traveling at an unsafe speed he ended up sending the vehicle over the cliff. One of his passengers, an 18-year-old man also from Montebello, died in the crash.

Flores and another passenger, identified as 18-year-old Zoe Ybarra, of Los Angeles, were the survivors who sustained major injuries.

The identity of the deceased man was withheld pending notification of next of kin.

Authorities said alcohol and drugs are not suspected factors in the crash. They were also unsure when exactly the vehicle crashed on Saturday.

It was unclear if Flores will face any charges for the fatal crash.

The investigation was ongoing.

codestp202

Oh damn, sounds like the driver and 1 passenger made it, the other passenger died. Sucks that his actions killed a friend. Sounds like our car is pretty safe though

That is a narrow road!

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.223...4!1sKCIUTHVX3UNp0U34iV1c6Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

No seatbelts!!!! Totally amazing anyone survived.

It's definitely a Fiesta; the door sill and the RE050A tire indicate it is a FiST.
Damn, you aren't kidding. Literally no room for error. Can't believe someone thought it was a good idea to hoon on that road, let alone without wearing seat belts. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Not sure I could live with killing one of my friends through my own jackassery. He may only be 18, but he's gonna learn real quick what it means to be an adult and face the consequences of your actions.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I hiked Mt. Baldy last month. Can confirm that road is a ton of fun but sufficiently sketchy.

900ft below the road? Holy shit.

The fact that anyone survived that is amazing.
Thats for sure. The air bags were only good for the first hit. After that they dont do much more than shield occupants from some flying glass, maybe,For a second or two.Then they just ate shitloads of rocks , dust and disintegrated Fiesta in between uncusioned impacts as it tumbled down the cliff. That is a true example of instant penalties for bad decisions.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Driven that road before back in my 240sx days. It's a famous road in SoCal lots of Miata's on it as well as bikes. It's known to be extremely dangerous and there is definetly no margin for error. It's not one of my favorite roads for that very reason.
Seen stories about 240's going off that road plus a number of other cars. Usually occupants wind up dead. It's almost one of those rites of passage roads for Inland Empire SoCal teens( which I am not and have never been lol) . It's sad and the guy obviously should not have been out on it. Given he had reported circumstances like no seat belts on etc...

Last edited:
It's crazy how people still have a problem wearing seatbelts... Like damn.. But yeah, that road is super popular along with Angeles Crest Highway and any other road in SoCal. It's really sad.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
900 FEET!

It is amazing that car is not a LITERAL tiny little ball/crusher cube of steel, rubber, plastic, alloy and human remains! [ohcrap]

Condolences to the deceased, but not wearing belts is PLEADING for death. [:(]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Is this the road? If so it looks damn scary.

https://youtu.be/JD3_fxh3M1k
Yup GMR , sometimes CHP is out there making sure people don't go nuts. If you live in SoCal though it's up there on the one of the roads you have to drive at least once list.

The views are awesome and it does feel like your in a completely different world. But... Those awesome views and how narrow it is have a lot to do with it taking people's lives. That video crash was minor. Crashes are epic there much like the one last weekend.

It was big in the drifting world in the early 2000's . Again no margin for error when you're drifting it either. I preferred other roads and track for drifting. Part of the reason I love the FiST is because it slides its rear end and drives like a RWD car.

Last edited:
OP
J
Thread Starter #16
Is this the road? If so it looks damn scary.

https://youtu.be/JD3_fxh3M1k
Yes, that's it. See that beautiful photography and scenery? That's what is magic about that road. That area has been used for vehicle photography for longer than most of us have been alive. I occasionally see commercials from the 60s and 70s filmed there.
My wife and I drove it the other day and hardly saw anyone, maybe two cars. We saw an owl and just parked in the middle of the road and turned off the car and watched for 5-10 minutes (while I listened for cars)...no one came along. The many knuckleheads like the ones seen in the video (which depicts a centerline-crossing idiot in an EVO in a minor crash after passing on a blind corner on an adjacent road with a centerline, and a Volvo in a less minor crash) are going to get it closed for EVERYONE. The road with a centerline is AOK in my book (GMR). It's the most epic piece of road around for cars with reasonable HP and fair game if you keep your shit in your lane. The road without the centerline (GRR) should be off limits to hooning.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yes, that's it. See that beautiful photography and scenery? That's what is magic about that road. That area has been used for vehicle photography for longer than most of us have been alive. I occasionally see commercials from the 60s and 70s filmed there.
My wife and I drove it the other day and hardly saw anyone, maybe two cars. We saw an owl and just parked in the middle of the road and turned off the car and watched for 5-10 minutes (while I listened for cars)...no one came along. The many knuckleheads like the ones seen in the video (which depicts a centerline-crossing idiot in an EVO in a minor crash after passing on a blind corner on an adjacent road with a centerline, and a Volvo in a less minor crash) are going to get it closed for EVERYONE. The road with a centerline is AOK in my book (GMR). It's the most epic piece of road around for cars with reasonable HP and fair game if you keep your shit in your lane. The road without the centerline (GRR) should be off limits to hooning.
You want epic there are couple of roads in central cal that are amazing. Hwy 198 between King City and Coalinga. Hwy 25 from just below Gilroy down to Paso Robles on the top of the mountains between the Central Valley and the Salinas Vallley 70 miles no stops. It's well known in the Motorcycle world.

I have looked at this picture multiple times and just noticed the person laying on the rock.

While I hate to see anyone die, no sympathy for this driver. Trying to drive like Ken Block with less than 1% of his skill. If you plan to drive like an idiot, at least leave your friends at home. With any luck, you will just take yourself out and hopefully not hit another car.