Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Garrett G25-550/660 Turbocharger

Morning FIST community

Figured I would share with you the new turbo from Garrett By Honeywell. Sorry for the delay but there was an embargo until the 31st and then I had to play catch up from being out of the office. Garrett has a new product that they are dubbing the G25 series. It is a GT25 series framed turbo, which is similar to what the Mountune MRX kit is based off of as well as some turbos like what was on the MazdaSpeed Protege and Miata. While the old GT25 framed turbo would cap out at around 300FWHP, the new G25-550 and 660 turbos are being rated at a whopping 550-660FWHP. More importantly is all of the design features that have went into this turbo that makes it particularly exciting.

Design Notes:

-Compressor Aero: Forged fully machined compressor wheel and new aerodynamics all designed with CFD (computational fluid dynamics) which has show a 15% increase in air flow for the 60mm wheel and 30% increase in airflow for the 67mm compared to their previous wheel designs. The wheels have shown wide compressor maps for increased surge resistance as well as opening the choke line further throughout the map.

-Compressor cover uses a fully machined ported shroud for an increase in compressor surge stability which is nothing new but it also incorporates a speed sensor port that is already drilled, tapped and plug so you can either run a speed sensor right off the bat, later on, or never.

-One piece bearing housing/backplate design, which reduces potential failure points within a turbocharger. The bearing housing to turbine housing v-band flange also allows for complete 360 degree orientation when installing.

-Bearing housing coolant ports, well now there is four of them versus the previous two. This means that installing coolant lines is easier than ever and on a ball bearing turbo, it is required for longevity and reliability of the turbocharger. The turbo comes with two -6an water fittings and two plugs for the turbocharger.

- Each turbocharger comes with (1) -4an oil resitrictor that has a 1mm orifice to provide the turbocharger the recommended 40psi of oil pressure and correct flow rate.

-Revised bearing housing: Lots of new designs here which is as follows. Shorter bearing cartridge that maintains the ball bearing strength and allows use of two piston rings on both the compressor side and turbine side which is a first for any of the garrett ball bearing line up. That adds up to increased leak protection.

-Turbine wheel aero is no longer the 1990s technology that has been previously used. The new turbine wheel now consists of a Mar-M super allow and is capable of handling exhaust gas temperatures of 1050 degrees C or (1922 degrees F). The turbine wheel also flows 15-20% more than even the new GTX lineup. The back face of the turbine wheel hub is machined down for increased weight loss and quicker transient response.

-Turbine housings are offered in T25 turbine inlet w/ interal wastegate configurations and as well as V-band in/out with multiple A/R's to choose from. All of the housings are cast from stainless steel to provide durability and temperature resistance.

- Standard and reverse rotation configurations are being produced for increased install simplicity as well as offering better packaging conditions for certain applications both for single and twin turbo applications.

I have them on order with the factory and as soon as they hit the dock, I will be dropping the fiesta off to a local fabricator to have one installed and start testing. My concerns is that the compressor maps shown do not support Garretts claims as well as, if the turbine side is going to be too small for those horsepower figures on a Direct Injection engine without running into detonation and temperature issues.

Mother of god... I hope you find good results. I’m subbing for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Turboman17
Thread Starter #4
I am letting a friend and his family borrow the car while they are in from Argentina during December, so I hope to have everything started by the new year. If there is time, we will try to work on a big intercooler solution as well but that will not be the main priority.

I am letting a friend and his family borrow the car while they are in from Argentina during December, so I hope to have everything started by the new year. If there is time, we will try to work on a big intercooler solution as well but that will not be the main priority.
Not at all. Probably gonna need the stratified fuel kit. Or something to the equivalent.

OP
Turboman17
Thread Starter #7
Not at all. Probably gonna need the stratified fuel kit. Or something to the equivalent.

Yeah that was my thought also, I need to get in on the pre-buy but it is no small chunk of change.

, the new G25-550 and 660 turbos are being rated at a whopping 550-660FWHP.

. My concerns is that the compressor maps shown do not support Garretts claims
Garrett's "math" has changed though. While the GT and GTX series typically would make WHP numbers higher than their BHP ratings... after they went GTW this started to change a bit and then Gen2 (and especially the gtx3584rs) they raised the BHP rating and now they no longer make WHP numbers, kind of a false improvement. These will be good for 550 and 650 BHP respectively. Unfortunately like some of their new stuff the compressor will die off very quickly and for those of us that used to make the most power out of them these will not overachieve. Hope i'm wrong but I doubt it.

OP
Turboman17
Thread Starter #9
Garrett's "math" has changed though. While the GT and GTX series typically would make WHP numbers higher than their BHP ratings... after they went GTW this started to change a bit and then Gen2 (and especially the gtx3584rs) they raised the BHP rating and now they no longer make WHP numbers, kind of a false improvement. These will be good for 550 and 650 BHP respectively. Unfortunately like some of their new stuff the compressor will die off very quickly and for those of us that used to make the most power out of them these will not overachieve. Hope i'm wrong but I doubt it.
I work closely with Garrett, Borgwarner, Holset and IHI, well let me rephrase that "I am told what we need to stock and what we are asked to sell". Unfortunately back in the day, it wasn't such a pissing match between manufacturers on the horsepower war but with the larger manufacturers seeing their market share decline from some of the smaller companies I.E. Precision, Turbonetics and some off the off shore companies that are getting their quality down. It becomes a big struggle for their companies to stay relevant, since they can't do the same style of marketing like Precision, or meet market demands since they have to have everything burst containment and ISO certified.

One thing I will note is the new Gen 2 aero, is definitely performing well. We work with a local fabricator who builds Subaru turbo kits (go figure a subaru in colorado). The horsepower difference being made from the Gen1 to Gen2 GTX3076R is pretty impressive all still while retaining the same turbine stage. It's not so much the power they are making, more so the boost pressures required to make said power. The flow is much better at their respective pressure ratios compared to before.

Do I think this G25 will do 600WHP, no, maybe 600 flywheel. But is that still a shit ton for this chassis, while keeping good transient response, ABSOLUTELY!!! Plus the G25 will be using the same V-band inlet and outlet flanges as the V-band GT30-35 turbochargers so the room to grow easily will be there for later on. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
[MENTION=3707]Turboman17[/MENTION]... would it be incorrect to assume these turbos are “replacing” the 2871 and 2971?

OP
Turboman17
Thread Starter #11
[MENTION=3707]Turboman17[/MENTION]... would it be incorrect to assume these turbos are “replacing” the 2871 and 2971?

Hijinx I know the 2871 has been phased out already. Unfortunately I still have some GTX and non GTX on the shelf of the 2871 that I will more than likely not sell. I’ll be honest I don’t get many inquiries on the gt29 series, I doubt I have even sold one. I believe just lack of sales is what will factor those into them being phased out, but in our dristributor meeting they made no mention of the 29’s being phased out.

90% of my Garrett Performance Turbo sales can be lumped into pretty much 5 Turbo’s. GTX2867/3076/3582/4202 and 5533.

I don’t sell many Garett Performance turbos compared to the Large Performance distributors like ATP, Turn14, Limit Engineering ect. For every Performance Turbo I will sell 200 OEM replacement. A company like ATP would be a better metric to base Performance unit sales since the specialize and can only purchase Performance turbochargers where as we can buy OEM replacement.

It will be interesting to see if the power band will be like the 2554 and the mrx. Peaks at mid range and drops off towards the top end. It’s the reason why I didn’t jump on the mrx since it doesn’t hold boost on the top end. I am currently running the 2554 now.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
It will be interesting to see if the power band will be like the 2554 and the mrx. Peaks at mid range and drops off towards the top end. It’s the reason why I didn’t jump on the mrx since it doesn’t hold boost on the top end. I am currently running the 2554 now.

A turbo capable of 550whp will be probably be able to hold boost on the top end.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Talked too Garrett not too long ago abouts this setup....hasn't been talked about for a Direct fit for the FiST as of yet!