Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Coilovers or Struts+Springs ?

Hi mates.

I'm looking to give a new look to my FiSt, but I'm not sure which option is better, if buy a full coilovers set, or some sport struts+springs.

I don't know how often i'll adjust the high of the car, and that's why I'm not sure about coilovers. Im looking reduce OEM height 1" aprox.

What do you think?[???:)][???:)][???:)]

[wrenchin][wrenchin]

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
If you don't need to fine tune ride heights or corner weights, then a properly set of matched springs and dampers would be the more cost effective route. I have a set of adjustable coil-overs on my Mustang so I could go from a spring on control arm setup to a tubular A-arm and a lighter weight spring mounted on the strut. This reduced a significant amount of unsprung weight, allowed me to balance the weight around the car (the best that I could since the rears aren't adjustable), and have the ability to change spring rates easier. Once the height was set, I haven't touched them since. On my ST, I used the Mountune springs that worked with the stock dampers and found that to lower the car the amount that I wanted with the least amount of negative effect on suspension geometry and handling and yet still provided amble ground clearance for the winter. The downfall to this approach is that I need to gain about 1/4" of rear ground clearance to allow for more room to use P205/45 17 tires. Without an adjustable spring perch, I have to find another way. My suggestion is to use replacement springs and a matched set of dampers because the need to fine tune ride heights for corner weights, which is the purpose of the adjustment, isn't needed on the street. Money would be better spent elsewhere on the car.

BRGT350 - if you haven't already, take a look at the Fiesta ST180 Powerflex
REAR Spring UPPER Isolator (Pair) PFR19-2030. They are more robust than the OEM rubber version and might give you that little bit of height you're after. There's a set on eBay at 172932776797.

XanRules

I am of the opinion that coilovers are useless on a street car - unless you have a show car or track car, there's nothing struts and springs won't do better for you, cheaper, than a set of coilovers.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
REAR Spring UPPER Isolator (Pair) PFR19-2030. They are more robust than the OEM rubber version and might give you that little bit of height you're after. There's a set on eBay at 172932776797.
that is exactly my plan! :) I was designing my own, but saw those posted recently and decided that is a way better route.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
that is exactly my plan! :) I was designing my own, but saw those posted recently and decided that is a way better route.

OP
Eduard0gq
Thread Starter #7
Uops... but I’m looking to reduce height... low and slow... [emoji1591][emoji594]

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

OP
Eduard0gq
Thread Starter #8
I am of the opinion that coilovers are useless on a street car - unless you have a show car or track car, there's nothing struts and springs won't do better for you, cheaper, than a set of coilovers.
It’s my daily car... but I don’t use it a lot, just for 15 miles per day... and i want to build it for track days :)

XanRules

unless it's a dedicated track car I would still go struts/springs. Good quality coilovers are quite a bit more expensive than good quality struts/springs and don't offer performance benefits that would be realized by a hobbyist.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
unless it's a dedicated track car I would still go struts/springs. Good quality coilovers are quite a bit more expensive than good quality struts/springs and don't offer performance benefits that would be realized by a hobbyist.
totally agree and the money you save can go to driver education, which will reduce lap times way faster than adjustable coil overs. Also, the more adjustment you have for a track car when starting out is bad because you tend to spend more time adjusting things instead of learning how to be a consistent driver with a consistent car. You end up trying to mask your faults by changing the car. I have been autocrossing and doing track events for 20 years now and only a few of those years were spent with a car with adjustable coil-overs. The rest were a good set of replacement springs and matched dampers.

OP
Eduard0gq
Thread Starter #11
totally agree and the money you save can go to driver education, which will reduce lap times way faster than adjustable coil overs. Also, the more adjustment you have for a track car when starting out is bad because you tend to spend more time adjusting things instead of learning how to be a consistent driver with a consistent car. You end up trying to mask your faults by changing the car. I have been autocrossing and doing track events for 20 years now and only a few of those years were spent with a car with adjustable coil-overs. The rest were a good set of replacement springs and matched dampers.
That’s a good outlook. Even thinking that rarely I'll be being in trouble about the height of the car or about the weight put in it...

OP
Eduard0gq
Thread Starter #12
I’ve looking for some H&R springs, there are two types of them, Sport springs 1.2” front/1” rear lowering, and super sport springs 2”front/1.9” rear. Do you think I can still use the OEM shocks absorber? or do you think I need to change them too?
Regards

I’ve looking for some H&R springs, there are two types of them, Sport springs 1.2” front/1” rear lowering, and super sport springs 2”front/1.9” rear. Do you think I can still use the OEM shocks absorber? or do you think I need to change them too?
Regards

Pretty sure the Sports are designed to work with the stock struts and the super sports designed to work with replacement lowering struts to ensure proper travel. I've read of people gettting away with ORM struts and super sports, but worth asking H&R what they recommend.
The super sports would also be close to or on the maximum for correct suspension geometry I think. There's a good thread explaining that for the Fiesta on here somewhere.

kevinatfms

Bilstein B8's and Eibachs here and its been great.

EDIT: Eibachs were too soft for track use. Swapped to Swift and B8's and is much better at dialing out body roll.

Last edited: