Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New 2017 FiST, 500 miles....clunk clunk on shift...

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Pretty sure this noise is just the dual mass flywheel. I've got two FiSTs, same noise, but zero operational impact.
As far as I understand it, the dual mass fly wheel would cause the bit of "clack" releasing the clutch, this is some actual "clunk" you can *feel* shifting into 2nd...

When I first went to the dealer with the clunk they found a clutch slave cylinder leaking and replaced it and also did a check of the flywheel and found it to be in limits. Of course the new slave cylinder did not solve the clunk issue and at 9,000 miles when the SSM was upgraded to cover 2017 models they replaced the axles. The clunk is better and I think they were on to something when they checked the flywheel. Should have replaced it then if engineering suspected it might be the main cause. I will wait it out to see if Ford issues a service bulletin on the flywheel..

FWIW, all the cars I owned had some clunking when shifting, so whatever my ST had wasn't anything I noticed.

I DID, however, had some heavy knocking coming outta the transmission, usually on deceleration, maybe second and fourth gears. It's been sitting at the dealership for a transmission replacement, although it did take them 3 business days to rule out wheel bearing (I could've told them that), and 2 more business days to order a replacement transmission. So hopefully, I can get my car back end of this week or early next week.

The thing is, the noise is very much like the noise I get in my 350z with a heavy clutch and a single-mass flywheel. When it clamps down, it doesn't do so smoothly, and the shock causes the clunk. But in a RWD car there is more backlash in the drivetrain due to extra spinny parts. I've never heard a FWD car sound like that. And, yet, I would still dismiss the issue, if Ford didn't post the bulletin. Obviously, there is something going on, if Ford is spending money on warranty repairs.

It appears the noise is back to about the same level as before the axles replacement. Since it was quieter for a while, I'm thinking it's just the design of the CV knuckle. Brand new, packed with grease, it's quiet. After a few hundred miles, it loosens up and you start hearing the lash. I would expect to hear it when going on and off throttle in 1st though. Yet, I don't . Only when releasing the clutch. Meh, w/e, I've got plenty of miles on the warranty.

It appears the noise is back to about the same level as before the axles replacement. Since it was quieter for a while, I'm thinking it's just the design of the CV knuckle. Brand new, packed with grease, it's quiet. After a few hundred miles, it loosens up and you start hearing the lash. I would expect to hear it when going on and off throttle in 1st though. Yet, I don't . Only when releasing the clutch. Meh, w/e, I've got plenty of miles on the warranty.
That is the exact same thing that happened to me. The tech said he did not hear the noise, but the half-shafts were replaced under the TSB regardless. At this point i'm just living with it. [sad]

I wish now I had leased for 2 years.. Ford would be getting the car back in 8 months..

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
These vehicles are in no way a luxury sound proofed machine. Noises should be expected with this being a performance/econobox platform. It's like hoping a turd wouldn't smell.....or a bolt of lightning going in a straight line!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
It's not going to affect axle shafts obviously, but for those who are complaining about shifting noises (rather than a LOUD head-turning clack on clutch release), make sure that your transmission has 2.1 to 2.3L of fluid versus the factory fill 1.6L. They goofed with the 2016 and possibly other years. Instructions for B5 and B6 transmissions say fill to 1" below the fill hole, which is 2.1~2.3L. The B5 transmissions have specifications of 2.1 and 2.3L while our B6 is erroneously listed at 1.6L.

EDIT 21y07m11d: Difference in fill capacities is accounted for by the metric/standard conversion. Per specification, Ford was not under-filling the transmissions.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
It's not going to affect axle shafts obviously, but for those who are complaining about shifting noises (rather than a LOUD head-turning clack on clutch release), make sure that your transmission has 2.1 to 2.3L of fluid versus the factory fill 1.6L. They goofed with the 2016 and possibly other years. Instructions for B5 and B6 transmissions say fill to 1" below the fill hole, which is 2.1~2.3L. The B5 transmissions have specifications of 2.1 and 2.3L while our B6 is erroneously listed at 1.6L.
It's listed as 1.67 L, to be exact, but I've heard of good results simply using 2L exactly... Now, not to open a can of worms, but I find it interesting that Ford used to say 5w-20 OR 5w-30 for oil was acceptable but then in the 2nd supplemental printing for the 2017 model, they removed talk of 5w-30.... HMMMM. Page 29 of first printing HERE says either weight is fine, but same page of 2nd printing HERE only mentions 5w-20...

Intuit

3000 Post Club
It's listed as 1.67 L, to be exact, but I've heard of good results simply using 2L exactly... Now, not to open a can of worms, but I find it interesting that Ford used to say 5w-20 OR 5w-30 for oil was acceptable but then in the 2nd supplemental printing for the 2017 model, they removed talk of 5w-30.... HMMMM. Page 29 of first printing HERE says either weight is fine, but same page of 2nd printing HERE only mentions 5w-20...
The water they use and recommend is for fuel efficiency. (and better cold start protection) I don't see a problem with using stuff that protects better at higher temperatures; particularly since these engines are intentionally setup to run hotter anyway. The only time I thin out is during the Winter.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The water they use and recommend is for fuel efficiency. (and better cold start protection) I don't see a problem with using stuff that protects better at higher temperatures; particularly since these engines are intentionally setup to run hotter anyway. The only time I thin out is during the Winter.
Yep, I live where it's pretty mild so I just use 5w-30 for one oil change during the summer, rest of the year 5w-20... but back to the transmission, I think 2 full liters of Ravenol MTF-2 is in my plans...

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Weird. I have a '17, built 7/17, and mine has the first printing.

I just use 5w20, but if I lived in Tuscon, I probably wouldn't.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Weird. I have a '17, built 7/17, and mine has the first printing.

I just use 5w20, but if I lived in Tuscon, I probably wouldn't.
That IS definitely weird, mine built 6/17 has the 2nd printing... But I also use the larger FL400S filter, so with lower pressure from it I use 5w-30 in the summer for sure.

I'd be interested to hear of any improvements in the transmission after using the Ravenol -MTF-2 .. Please post.