Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

BRZ seats in the FiST

so you are going to bolt the BRZ seat to the arms on the Fiesta seat that raises and lowers it? I was looking at my fiesta seats last night taking measurements trying to get ideas on getting it installed...

OP
zanethan

zanethan

Thread Starter #22
I'm envisioning bolting the entire BRZ frame to essentially just the FiST rails. It's hard to describe and I don't have good pictures on the FiST brackets as they're on the car.

But if you take a look under your seats there are brackets riveted onto the rails that are vertical. Some arms are then riveted to those. I'm thinking drill out those rivets and bolt it there.

Here's a crappy rendition of my idea haha.

OP
zanethan

zanethan

Thread Starter #23
So I tore into the Fiesta seats tonight and got them down to the frame. This is actually looking like it might not be too bad at this point (but I've thought that before). My plan is to cut out the tube running across and then bolt on brackets made of agile iron. The BRZ seats will then just bolt to the top of the angle iron. Pictures of said brackets below.

And the angle iron I plan on using

Is this the passenger side? Because when I was checking out my drivers seat last night getting measurements it looks way different, the drivers side has the mechanism to raise and lower the seat and I don't see it here. So what might work on the passenger might not work on the driver the same way.

OP
zanethan

zanethan

Thread Starter #25
It is the passenger side. The drivers side looks easier. And the up and down movement would be transferred to the BRZ frame

OP
zanethan

zanethan

Thread Starter #26
Here's where we're at with the passenger side. I've cut out most of the brackets that I won't be using. I couldn't find a grade 8 bolt large enough to fill the holes where the tubes are so I'm planning on using the existing tube and trim it to make kind of a bushing.

My other option is to make a bushing out of a section of pipe.

Anyway here's where we're currently at.

OP
zanethan

zanethan

Thread Starter #27
It will officially work!

Still playing with the positioning and might end up making some different brackets to lower the seat but it will officially work on the passenger side at least.

thats awesome you got it in, if you remove it make sure to take some pics of how the brackets work that you made, I have a good idea of what you did, but want to see it myself.

CSM

1000 Post Club
It will officially work!

Still playing with the positioning and might end up making some different brackets to lower the seat but it will officially work on the passenger side at least.
Looks really good! Can't wait to see the finished product

OP
zanethan

zanethan

Thread Starter #30
thats awesome you got it in, if you remove it make sure to take some pics of how the brackets work that you made, I have a good idea of what you did, but want to see it myself.
I have a whole slew of pictures for the how to thread. I'm not going to upload them all right now but here's a few good shots.

Passenger side is 99% done, just need to bypass the airbag. Personally I think it's a bit too high but my wife sat in it and said it was comfortable. Given that she's the only one sitting there really I just decided to stick with the brackets I made out of the 2" angle iron. I might go back and redo the passenger side one day but for now it's good to go.

For the drivers side I'm using 1" angle iron. The drivers side is also going to be 100x easier. I already have it half way there.

OP
zanethan

zanethan

Thread Starter #31
So I tried the 2.2 ohm resistor on the passenger side and it doesn't appear to work. Anyone know what the resistance for the passenger seat airbag is?

So after doing some digging it appears that others have the SRS fault after swapping over seats from a wrecked car. Since I used the wiring harness from the junkyard seats I'm thinking I need to swap over the airbag sensor from my original wiring harness. Anyone have any experience in this realm?

Last edited:
OP
zanethan

zanethan

Thread Starter #32
Well they're in! Drivers side is so much easier than the passenger. I still have the airbag light and have no idea what's causing it at this point. If I switch the stock seats back in it goes away. I've transferred over the entire wiring harness to the BRZ seats with the 2.2 ohm resistor but still get the light.

Anyway here's the completed set up. Stay tuned for a full write up.

I haven't driven it yet but sitting in it feels like a good cross between the comfort of the base seats with the support of the Recaro's. All in I spent about $700 but $150 of that was the junkyard Fiesta seats. If you were brave you could get away without buying an extra set. Overall I'll give it a 7/10 in terms of difficulty, it's a fairly involved process.

Man those came out awesome! Did you ever look into putting the fiesta airbags into the BRZ seats? Did you swap the passenger weight sensor into the BRZ seat as well?

OP
zanethan

zanethan

Thread Starter #34
I did briefly look into swapping g over the airbag but it looked like if would be more trouble than beneficial.

I did swap over the Fiesta occupancy sensor that was pretty easy and it's only on the passenger side.

OP
zanethan

zanethan

Thread Starter #35
Here are some more pics. I still can't figure out the airbags. The only thing I can think of is that the occupancy sensor from the junkyard car is triggering it. I'll need to play around a bit more with it. Once I figure it out I'll write up the how-to.

After doing this there are potentially 2 was to do this. My way is likely more difficult but cheaper assuming you have the correct tools already. My other thought is to use the planted brackets and bolt the BRZ rails directly to the top of that. I have no idea if that would work but in theory it should.

Seating position is a bit higher than the FiST seats. Not uncomfortably so but different. Back seat leg room is unaffected and might even be improved.

OP
zanethan

zanethan

Thread Starter #37
So I realize I never wrote up the How To as promised. My major reason is that after a few weeks I realized I didn't like this set up. The position was all wrong and it felt like you were now siting on the car not in the car (similar the to Abarth, not hating on the Abarth but the seating position is why I didn't buy one). After thinking on it I decided to try with the Planted Brackets and the results are MUCH better. Here's a link to my write up.

All in this cost roughly around $800 for the Planted install. ($500 for the seats, $240 for the brackets, $50 for bolts and various bits)

Some will say you could have gotten Recaro's for that. Well I've scoured the internet for cheap Recaro's, and I don't know where these people are finding them for under $1000 but I can't.

At any rate, these fit nicely between the two seats. They are not quite as bolstered as the Recaro's but are slightly more comfortable in my opinion.

How to: BRZ Seats in the Fiesta

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...com/forum/showthread.php?t=16842&share_type=t