Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta st OIL CHANGE METAL FLAKES CAUSE?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Traditionally, the only purpose of the downstream oxygen sensor is to confirm catalytic converter function. The ECU does not make any changes to engine operating parameters based on the downstream oxygen sensor. I assume that is the case with our systems as well. They system will of course, make adjustments based upon the upstream oxygen sensor.

Metal shavings at 50k is something to be concerned about, since it is far, far, far, far, far, far outside the break in period. Since this is related to the modifications done on the engine, it may be prudent to back off on the power, possibly even undoing the modifications and returning to stock. Besides a complete tear-down and inspection, it may be possible to just pull oil pan, as a first step toward inspecting the crank main bearings.

Regarding the filter, the only way to achieve "high" flow, is to either increase media surface area, or reduce the effectiveness of the filter, or both.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Regarding the filter, the only way to achieve "high" flow, is to either increase media surface area, or reduce the effectiveness of the filter, or both.
^^^THIS!
(Race teams know that their PURE race engines will be rebuilt after every event, IF allowed by their sanctioning bodies, and not sealed for a given period of time/season, so they can afford to use a lower efficiency, much higher flow rate filter on those engines. ;) )

But yes, there should NOT be large shavings of metal in one's oil, regardless of whether or not the filter is catching them. ;)

Does the oil at change time smell REALLY STRONGLY of fuel, and seem MUCH thinner than when it was installed?

Last edited:
OP
T
Thread Starter #23
^^^THIS!

But yes, there should NOT be large shavings of metal in one's oil, regardless of whether or not the filter is catching them. ;)

Does the oil at change time smell REALLY STRONGLY of fuel, and seem MUCH thinner than when it was installed?
Yes but no smell in the oil or much thinner and there not large shavings rhere small but regardless

OP
T
Thread Starter #24
Traditionally, the only purpose of the downstream oxygen sensor is to confirm catalytic converter function. The ECU does not make any changes to engine operating parameters based on the downstream oxygen sensor. I assume that is the case with our systems as well. They system will of course, make adjustments based upon the upstream oxygen sensor.

Metal shavings at 50k is something to be concerned about, since it is far, far, far, far, far, far outside the break in period. Since this is related to the modifications done on the engine, it may be prudent to back off on the power, possibly even undoing the modifications and returning to stock. Besides a complete tear-down and inspection, it may be possible to just pull oil pan, as a first step toward inspecting the crank main bearings.

Yes but my brither is at 17k mikes and same result

OP
T
Thread Starter #25
The intercooler wouldn't cause and issue. But running a catless down pipe might if you didn't do something about the rear 02 sensor
Its a cobb high flow catted downpioe amd i already got my cel from the o2 sensor on WoT is when it comes on afyer clearing it i didnt use a defouler becaise tue tune removes the cel

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Even 17k is well outside the break in period. Also meant to add, make sure you clean the oil pan between changes. Otherwise that sparkly stuff in the bottom could be from several changes ago.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Bringing this one back from the dead.

I did an oil change at 90k miles, and found some flakes (silver and copper looking) in the oil. I wasn't 100% sure if it was from my engine oil, or from the oil filter as I removed it with a tool and it could have damaged it.

Fast forward to 92k miles - I just did another oil change. This time checked the oil for flakes before pulling the old oil filter - just a few copper bits, very tiny.

I have a sample sent off to Blackstone and will report back soon. Just wanted to revive this thread in case there are others interested in this and wanted to document

CSM

1000 Post Club
^^^How high do you rev it during WOT open tracking/autocrossing?
I kept factory rev limiter. I shift around 6,000 as that is when peak power is for the X37

We will see how the Blackstone results come back. I've used them several times with this car so there is a good record of particulates - we will see if its increased over time which points to wear of some time. Prob a rod bearing.

Fingers crossed!