Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Undulations...

Trader history for maestromaestro (0)

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Here's what I observed - or imagined to have observed...

I am running a Cobb Stage 3 off-the-shelf tune. On the track (Houston MSR CCW, if you'd like specifics), going over a small crest at speed, as the car got lighter, I had difficulty with maintaining speed, as the engine seemed to be dropping rpms as the car was settling down.

The instructor in the passenger seat thought that I was modulating the throttle. Is this something in the management software (either by Cobb or by Ford) that intervenes as the car lightens up or one of the wheels leaves the ground?

I would imagine it would have to be related to the fronts, as lifting the rear legs in turns doesn't produce the same rpm undulations...

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
We take for granted that you have ALL of the nannies off (as much as they can be) when on track, correct?

I believe that there is STILL a good amount of TV, TC, AND ASC involved, even with the console switch held down until it shows fully off, but not sure if THAT is what you are experiencing here.[dunno]

Others with much more knowledge/experience with our system will chime in, I'm sure. ;)

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
We take for granted that you have ALL of the nannies off (as much as they can be) when on track, correct?

I believe that there is STILL a good amount of TV, TC, AND ASC involved, even with the console switch held down until it shows fully off, but not sure if THAT is what you are experiencing here.[dunno]

Others with much more knowledge/experience with our system will chime in, I'm sure. ;)
Yeah, the magic button had been pressed for a loooong time. [emoji2]

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Just read that Civic R does just that - cuts power as the car gets light as part of its traction control management. Didn't say if you can fully defeat this feature. This is quite annoying. I wonder if there's a solution - anything that can be done with AccessTuner?

Zissou

Cobb has a traction control they added in like the past year or two that I believe does exactly that. I’m not sure the extent of Ford’s traction control other than applying the brakes individually. I kind of assume they’d have something with reducing power output too but idk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Cobb has a traction control they added in like the past year or two that I believe does exactly that. I’m not sure the extent of Ford’s traction control other than applying the brakes individually. I kind of assume they’d have something with reducing power output too but idk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't feel the brakes working, but I could certainly see the rpms jumping all over and the attendant engine noises.

Zissou

I don't feel the brakes working, but I could certainly see the rpms jumping all over and the attendant engine noises.

You'll notice the braking thing in a corner. If you're a skier, it feels kind of like when you nail a pole plant in skiing the way it pivots around.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
You'll notice the braking thing in a corner. If you're a skier, it feels kind of like when you nail a pole plant in skiing the way it pivots around.
Right. No- the nannies do not interfere with the brakes. It's the power modulation that's very intrusive, and ultimately I leads to a bigger upset.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Nobody else has experienced the same issue? You guys track your FiSTs on perfectly flat pavement? No air?? [emoji2][emoji2]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Anyone who has been to Lime Rock Park (in northeastern Connecticut) with their FiST could probably comment on this, as long as they were really "getting after it" as the Brits say. ;)

felopr

Nobody else has experienced the same issue? You guys track your FiSTs on perfectly flat pavement? No air?? [emoji2][emoji2]

reviving dead thread maybe?
This sounds like stock nannies at work, even with ESC off completely, the stock tunes, and ots are the same, ECU will throttle closure if it detects different tire speeds front vs rear (imagine clutch dumping in 1st gear and the ECU bogging down the engine because it detects over spinning the tires, same logic) Since you have a AP, turn esc off completly and then turn on the new cobb traction control that is the AP options, TUNE> ADjustments.
Cobb traction control is spark base, so is less hampering than stock, setting 1 on the AP is more intrusive (less wheelspin) and setting 8 is less intrusive (more wheelspin)

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
reviving dead thread maybe?
This sounds like stock nannies at work, even with ESC off completely, the stock tunes, and ots are the same, ECU will throttle closure if it detects different tire speeds front vs rear (imagine clutch dumping in 1st gear and the ECU bogging down the engine because it detects over spinning the tires, same logic) Since you have a AP, turn esc off completly and then turn on the new cobb traction control that is the AP options, TUNE> ADjustments.
Cobb traction control is spark base, so is less hampering than stock, setting 1 on the AP is more intrusive (less wheelspin) and setting 8 is less intrusive (more wheelspin)
Hey - I learned something today! Thanks. I also have AccessTuner, but don't have sufficient experience to start messing with advanced parameters.

felopr

Forgot to say, if you do this, when you turn the vehicle off, the setting will revert back to off