Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Center those exhaust tips

koozy

3000 Post Club
I'm a bit OCD with things that don't fit right, so I thought I'd share a simple fix for those who might have exhaust tips that tend to move around, set screw collars. Set screws collars prevent the rubber or urethane hangers from moving around.

I've had these for several years now and every time I look at my exhaust tips and how straight center they are coming out the back through the lower valance I'm reminded that these things are worth their weight (a few ounces) and just ~$3.

Some, not all users are trying to fix exhaust noises and clunking with harder exhaust hangers, while this may work it may not be necessary. I didn't have any clunking exhaust issues, but can see how exhaust pipes that move laterally can cause some to have clunking issues.

I started out with harder hangers to fix the exhaust tips centering issue. I tried several different brands, in the end no luck. Unfortunately the harder hangers didn't fix the issue. When the exhaust got hot the harder hangers would give and become soft allowing the exhaust to move laterally causing the tips to be off center. This bugged me and in the case with an FSWerks exhaust I had which didn't quite fit right to begin with, it burnt and melted the lower valance [8]. I got a new lower valance and a Cobb exhaust which fit perfectly, but the tips would not stay centered even with harder hangers [?|]

I measured the hanger rod diameter on my exhaust and got the appropriate set screws and never looked back. The set screws eliminated any need for harder hangers, so I put back the stock OE factory hangers, which also helped to eliminate the subtle but present exhaust vibrations.

Here are the set screw collars, one on each side of the stock OE rubber hanger. I only needed set screws for the muffler hanger, so just one pair.

Back on OE Factory hangers, harder hangers aren't needed.

Perfectly centered tips all of the time

Last edited:

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
That's pretty smart there buddy. I'll keep this in mind.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Great idea! Before I got the FiST I had a SHO, and the one tip I couldn't get to stay centered, so I tapped the hanger arm and used a couple nuts to get it positioned, I like your way a lot better!

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Great idea! Before I got the FiST I had a SHO, and the one tip I couldn't get to stay centered, so I tapped the hanger arm and used a couple nuts to get it positioned, I like your way a lot better!
That’s pretty hardcore, I got the idea of using set screws when I saw some people welding nuts on to the hanger rod on other cars to prevent movement. Tapping isn’t a bad idea, just more work.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
These are sold in the hardware drawer sections of the home improvement stores (Lowes, HD, True Value, etc.) correct?

GREAT IDEA!! [like]

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
yes, I just got the plain zinc coated ones at $1.60 a piece since I was trying them out and didn't want to invest too much if it didn't work out, but the idea worked and they've held up fine. stainless are available for more $.

Last edited:
Awesome tip! I have had similar issues keeping my exhaust tips centered. I had lots of issues with the MBRP, but the cobb has stayed in place for the most part.

Man that's a good idea...my exhaust melted my valence this summer :(

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Man that's a good idea...my exhaust melted my valence this summer :(
it's sucks, I've seen a few FiST's with burnt valances due to exhaust interference. Sometimes the problem becomes exacerbated when harder hangers are used. Each exhaust setup is different, but what usually happens is the harder hangers ends up pulling the exhaust up closer to the valance making it more probable to melting it, especially with exhausts that are already close to the valance to begin with the OE hangers. Harder hangers don't have that natural droop that allows the exhaust to hang a bit. The exhaust is suppose to move along with the motor and not be completely rigid. My guess is that most exhaust manufacturers use the OE factory hangers when designing their exhaust, since they are aftermarket "factory replacements" and using harder hangers may place the exhaust in a different position than originally designed. We're talking perhaps a few millimeters here and there, but sometimes that's all it takes to put the tips real close to the valance when it's already designed tight in some places with OE hangers. I can fit my fingers around the tips, which allows me to clean and polish the valance. Some exhausts don't allow a finger to fit in between at all. IMO the need to use harder hangers is a bandaid to poorly designed and executed exhaust systems, it also puts more stress on components upstream. If you've felt how soft the OE hangers are and they're replaced with rock hard hangers something's gotta give.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Even though I like the aesthetics of a straight single-wall, 304 stainless exhaust tip, I am grateful for the 'outer shell' double-wall style tips like my CP-E has (as well as the Thermal, and some others), since I feel these insulate the main piping of the tip from melting the valence, even if they may be a little too close together. [wink]

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
What's the size you bought if its not too much trouble?

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I'm going to buy a couple tomorrow but my cp-e has the lil tip like the factory hangers. There not straight metal like the cobb but I imagine they will still work. If anything I can cut the tip of the hanger off to make it straight.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm going to buy a couple tomorrow but my cp-e has the lil tip like the factory hangers. There not straight metal like the cobb but I imagine they will still work. If anything I can cut the tip of the hanger off to make it straight.

Unlike other systems, the CP-E allows one to adjust/center the whole tailpipe/tip pipe section with that ball/swivel type joint clamp at the last junction of the system.

I adjusted mine, hunkered down on that clamp, and with the Cobb (or whomever's) poly hangers, the twin tips NEVER have even come close to the edges of the valance cutout. ;)

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Damn it I jyst bought 2 at 3.80 a piece and 2 59 cent bolts to replace the set screws so the would go far enough to hit the metal. Well I can rake them back tomorrow then.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Well your right. I'll take those parts back tomorrow lol.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Well your right. I'll take those parts back tomorrow lol.

The CP-E tips, being double-walled around the actual outlet pipe, also will not get quite as hot in the first place as all of the single-walled type tips out there. ;)