Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tow hooks or tow points

green_henry

1000 Post Club
There's a track day at Laguna Seca this weekend. Weather looks like it should be perfect (cool and dry). BUT "Tow hooks or tow points are required on the front and rear of car.". What are the options?

codestp202

I'll see you there dude.

For rear I went with the garagistic bolt in tow hooks that is linked above. They fit great.
Front, I used a tow strap, and drilled into the front crash bar and used a giant grade 8 or grade 10 bolt, nut and washer to attach it.

What class are you running in? I'll be in high intermediate, I was going to do low advanced but I'm testing some new parts out on the car.
Look for my black fiesta with the half cage and come say whats up.

OP
G

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I'll see you there dude.

For rear I went with the garagistic bolt in tow hooks that is linked above. They fit great.
Front, I used a tow strap, and drilled into the front crash bar and used a giant grade 8 or grade 10 bolt, nut and washer to attach it.

What class are you running in? I'll be in high intermediate, I was going to do low advanced but I'm testing some new parts out on the car.
Look for my black fiesta with the half cage and come say whats up.
Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to get these in time for the weekend :( It was definitely a last minute idea and I should have read the event requirements a lot earlier; TrackNight is my normal event and they don't have any special equipment requirements.

Anyhow, have a great time and maybe I'll be able to get everything together for the Thunderhill event in December

codestp202

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to get these in time for the weekend :( It was definitely a last minute idea and I should have read the event requirements a lot earlier; TrackNight is my normal event and they don't have any special equipment requirements.

Anyhow, have a great time and maybe I'll be able to get everything together for the Thunderhill event in December
One thing to callout, I've ran with ongrid and they have never checked for tow hooks. You could definitely get the front strap setup in time, I'd be happy to give you all the info you'd need to get it setup.

OP
G

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Yep I like my Garagistic for the rear! I still haven’t done the front...I don’t like the fabric hooks but I don’t want to cut the front end...
The garagistic rear hooks have arrived. Did you need to open up the bolt holes? (They seem a little small)

Woods247

2000 Post Club
One thing to callout, I've ran with ongrid and they have never checked for tow hooks. You could definitely get the front strap setup in time, I'd be happy to give you all the info you'd need to get it setup.
I’m interested in your strap setup. I need this done ASAP. Any help is appreciated.

codestp202

The garagistic rear hooks have arrived. Did you need to open up the bolt holes? (They seem a little small)
I did not have to open up the holes at all. Unless they have changed the design. If so, you can probably just take a christmas tree bit and open it up a tiny amount.

codestp202

I’m interested in your strap setup. I need this done ASAP. Any help is appreciated.
I ordered one of these:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Sparco/879/01...mcWKCU0SOBsr8BZmlxz1QUji59tVIFPcaAm8rEALw_wcB

You can grab them off amazon as well prime I believe.
Go to your local lowes,home depot, fastenal, ect: and pick up a grade 8 or grade 10 bolt, 2 washers, and a nut that are the width of the hole. I don't remember at this moment how big, somewhere around a m12 bolt or sae equivalent. You'll need the bolt to be able to clear both sides of the crash bar. I mounted mine on the front left (passenger side). Take a measurement of the width of the crash bar and make sure its long enough that when you put the tow strap on, push it through, that you have ample threads for the washer and nut. Get a brand new drill bit as the crash bar is very difficult to drill through, you'll have to go through both sides.

You will also need to cut a little bit of your grill out to slide the tow strap through. Let me know if you have any questions.

OP
G

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Are there any new options for the front? I'm guessing not. Just seems like there should be something slicker than the Pierce option (no disrespect).

kevinatfms

Are there any new options for the front? I'm guessing not. Just seems like there should be something slicker than the Pierce option (no disrespect).
I have the Pierce sitting on a bench but have always loved the Ford Racing Mustang tow hooks. So i went and got one for cheap and plan on welding it onto the front of my Fiesta. The ST Academy cars used them so they are well designed.

xxiaze

I just drilled a hole in my bumper and bought a bolt, washers, lock washers and a nut. SS hardware from Home Depot. I’ve been pulled out of snow banks and ditches with it already. Has held up great and was pretty cheap. Maybe 20-30$ including the strap. Although, I have big holes in my bumper and when I actually need to use the strap I poke it through the big circle above it so my bumper doesn’t get flexed out.

FB8DAB90-3CA4-472D-869B-F4822E9A53AE.jpeg A5A49F2D-D35A-470D-8CB2-D8C30CD56CAA.jpeg
4F113A88-656C-496A-88ED-1F373E8AE161.jpeg

OP
G

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
I have the Pierce sitting on a bench but have always loved the Ford Racing Mustang tow hooks. So i went and got one for cheap and plan on welding it onto the front of my Fiesta. The ST Academy cars used them so they are well designed.
Is this the one? https://www.cjponyparts.com/media/images/install-pdf/install_m17954fa.pdf

Do the ST Academy cars have their grills removed? It doesn't seem like the hook might not be long enough for a FiST. I like how simple it is, and the top-down mounting sure seems a lot easier and cleaner

kevinatfms

Is this the one? https://www.cjponyparts.com/media/images/install-pdf/install_m17954fa.pdf

Do the ST Academy cars have their grills removed? It doesn't seem like the hook might not be long enough for a FiST. I like how simple it is, and the top-down mounting sure seems a lot easier and cleaner
I bought M-17954-F for mine which has the angled bracket.

The Ford Racing ST Octane Academy cars used the same from what i remember. They welded the the bracket to the beam and just slit the grille to poke the end piece out. Fasten the ring to the bracket and youre done.

Here is the front of an Octane Academy car:
IMG_20141013_135747.jpg

Ill be putting mine on here shortly and ill take some pictures. Im still undecided on the Pierce or Ford Racing one though. I do have a welder though so i can do it in my garage. The Pierce one is drill through but id still probably weld the whole bracket to the beam instead of bolting the bracket.

Sucks we didnt get the euro version with the hole and threaded insert already there. Makes no sense why the US cars are that much different.

OP
G

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
I bought M-17954-F for mine which has the angled bracket.

The Ford Racing ST Octane Academy cars used the same from what i remember. They welded the the bracket to the beam and just slit the grille to poke the end piece out. Fasten the ring to the bracket and youre done.

Here is the front of an Octane Academy car:
View attachment 39024

Ill be putting mine on here shortly and ill take some pictures. Im still undecided on the Pierce or Ford Racing one though. I do have a welder though so i can do it in my garage. The Pierce one is drill through but id still probably weld the whole bracket to the beam instead of bolting the bracket.

Sucks we didnt get the euro version with the hole and threaded insert already there. Makes no sense why the US cars are that much different.
Thanks for the picture. That is slick. Looking forward to pictures of your install!