Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    New Member 6 Rep Points Sprinkle_Star's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points  
    City
    Arlington
    State
    VA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

SYNC 3 Update (November 2017)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I've just noticed that my '17 is eligible for the SYNC 3 update (version 2.3)

I'm not sure how these are pushed out, but I figured I'd let everyone know!

New Member 20 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Marion
    State
    IL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

It will use the cars WiFi to download the update. It's huge and is done in parts over days. You can go to Fords site and download a 2 or 3 gigabyte file to a USB and do it manually. I got two jump drives and did it to mine and the wife car at the same time. It took about 30 minutes and is idiot proof. Not much changes but support for Samsung/Apple navigation and music stuff. I think it's a tiny bit slower to respond, it's noticeable when changing volume. In hind sight... doens't change much for me so do if you're bored.

New Member 6 Rep Points Sprinkle_Star's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Arlington
    State
    VA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I first learned about the availability of version 2.3, I'd attempted to update SYNC 3 automatically using Wi-Fi. For some reason, I wasn't able to do the update this way, so I purchased a USB drive to perform the update manually.

I was eventually able to update the software, but the experience was anything but smooth.

Since this was my first time updating SYNC 3, I would mostly attribute this vexatious experience to my unfamiliarity of the overall process.

Now I'm wondering what all has changed. Are there any release notes for version 2.3 on the web that aren't completely vague?

Member 68 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    City
    Bedford
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkle_Star View Post
    When I first learned about the availability of version 2.3, I'd attempted to update SYNC 3 automatically using Wi-Fi. For some reason, I wasn't able to do the update this way, so I purchased a USB drive to perform the update manually.

I was eventually able to update the software, but the experience was anything but smooth.

Since this was my first time updating SYNC 3, I would mostly attribute this vexatious experience to my unfamiliarity of the overall process.

Now I'm wondering what all has changed. Are there any release notes for version 2.3 on the web that aren't completely vague?
    How did you get it working? I tried how it says on the website to do it and nothing happened at all. I left the exFAT formatted 32GB flash drive with the files in a USB port in the car while taking the long way home for 35 minutes. At that point I was hungry and gave up. Nothing ever came up on the screen and even after I shut off the car and turned it back on it never said update failed. I was able to successfully do the update to 2.2 last year with a flash drive, but this one doesn't seem to work.

Does it give some sort of progress or does it leave you guessing until the update finishes?
    2016 Fiesta ST Molten Orange

Member 147 Rep Points FearTheSnail's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    North West
    State
    MT
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Sil3nt611 View Post
    How did you get it working? I tried how it says on the website to do it and nothing happened at all. I left the exFAT formatted 32GB flash drive with the files in a USB port in the car while taking the long way home for 35 minutes. At that point I was hungry and gave up. Nothing ever came up on the screen and even after I shut off the car and turned it back on it never said update failed. I was able to successfully do the update to 2.2 last year with a flash drive, but this one doesn't seem to work.

Does it give some sort of progress or does it leave you guessing until the update finishes?
    Make sure the usb drive is initialized as MBR. Once you have the files on the drive within 10-20 seconds of plugging the usb drive into the car, with the car turned on, it will have a bar at the top of the screen that says its updating.

This is on a different car, but you should see this:
    1/4 Mile Time: 11.739@119.8mph

Member 68 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Bedford
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheSnail View Post
    Make sure the usb drive is initialized as MBR. Once you have the files on the drive within 10-20 seconds of plugging the usb drive into the car, with the car turned on, it will have a bar at the top of the screen that says its updating.

This is on a different car, but you should see this:
    I definitely didn't see that. I shall try again at some point. Thanks.
    2016 Fiesta ST Molten Orange

Member 147 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Winter Park
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sil3nt611 View Post
    I definitely didn't see that. I shall try again at some point. Thanks.
    I think the drive needs to be formatted as FAT32, not exFat. So that could be your problem.

Medals
    City
    North West
    State
    MT
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedrank View Post
    I think the drive needs to be formatted as FAT32, not exFat. So that could be your problem.
    For Sync 3, Ford specifies exFat.

Member 40 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Mesa
    State
    AZ
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've downloaded the 2.3 update to a 32gb flash drive. Formatted exFAT, I plug it in, takes a few minutes to say "updating system software" and then a few minutes into that I get this message on the screen. Have re-formatted and re-downloaded the install files multiple times and this happens. Halp?

2016 Fiesta ST - Kona Blue | Recaros & moonroof
    Cobb AP Panda Flash Tuned | CP-E Nexus cat-back | DEPO intercooler & charge pipes
    1995 F150 Eddie Bauer - big, slow and stock

Medals
    City
    North West
    State
    MT
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by miguel.in.az View Post
    I've downloaded the 2.3 update to a 32gb flash drive. Formatted exFAT, I plug it in, takes a few minutes to say "updating system software" and then a few minutes into that I get this message on the screen. Halp?

Delete files off of the USB drive, copy them back, when done eject the USB drive in your OS before unplugging the USB drive. Likely what happened is it was still writing when removed even though your OS said it was done.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast