Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

OEM Style twin gas struts for bonnet

Better than spending my money on cocaine and hookers.
How dare you talk about Charlie Sheen like that. [hihi] By the way thanks for all your contributions to Fiesta knowledge on youtube.

Thanks to this thread I am now going to dark ice's website and telling them to shut up and take my money.

jeff

2000 Post Club
How dare you talk about Charlie Sheen like that. [hihi] By the way thanks for all your contributions to Fiesta knowledge on youtube.

Thanks to this thread I am now going to dark ice's website and telling them to shut up and take my money.
HA!

You'll enjoy these struts, just be patient with the fitment, I described somewhere how to get them to fit correctly, it takes a bit of thinking but they fit perfectly eventually.

Glad to hear the youTube stuff is helpful....I'm not a youTuber by any means, but a few of my videos have gotten a decent amount of hits, though the amount of unwarranted mean comments has been surprising. Speaking of youTube, I have a few really great videos coming soon that are gonna be sizzling..........

HA!

You'll enjoy these struts, just be patient with the fitment, I described somewhere how to get them to fit correctly, it takes a bit of thinking but they fit perfectly eventually.

Glad to hear the youTube stuff is helpful....I'm not a youTuber by any means, but a few of my videos have gotten a decent amount of hits, though the amount of unwarranted mean comments has been surprising. Speaking of youTube, I have a few really great videos coming soon that are gonna be sizzling..........

l've noticed through listening to podcasts that a lot of really successful people just ignore comments in places where peanut galleries are allowed to weigh in. Although in your particular type of videos it's probably helpful to interact with legitimate comments and questions to exchange useful information.

I don't remember if your videos cover this or not but it seems like the internet is THIRSTY for a good install video of the MRX kit. I don't think there are any at the moment and I think that would get a ton of traffic.

I installed mine earlier this week, install wasn't bad but the driver's side was tedious with the fuse box being right where the brackets needed to go. Might look into something to reorient it up against the battery box so the fuses/relays are at least serviceable without having to take all this apart.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Bumping from the dead!

Just ordered these. They have Version 2 (V2) now which apparently, according to their website, is an easier install. We will see.

This will be nice for us running the CPE intake which relocates the factory hood latch holder with cheap tabs that break.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Bumping from the dead!

Just ordered these. They have Version 2 (V2) now which apparently, according to their website, is an easier install. We will see.

This will be nice for us running the CPE intake which relocates the factory hood latch holder with cheap tabs that break.
Thanks for making me waste my Skrilla on this ! I will be awaiting its arrival!

Isn't Whoosh working on a similar product? It might take a long time before we have the version to buy though (looking at you, Whoos cat back exhaust :p)

CSM

1000 Post Club
Installed mine today. Overall not bad - about an hour. I did have to remove the rear fuse box nut to make enough room to fit the bracket. I didnt have many issues getting the fuse box cover back on and I didnt really have any issues fitting the lights or crooked fitments.

I did break a headlight mounting tab while removing my drivers side light (DOH!), luckily with a fresh beefy plastic rivet in the bumper the headlight is snug as a bug.

Only real complaint is that the backing plate for the bracket didn't include a nut on the back, although the plate itself is threaded.

Here is a video w/ my thoughts
View: https://youtu.be/TKTE5uRMSZA

Last edited:

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Anyone have problems fitting the DarkIce struts? I heard the fuse box may come into play when installing.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Anyone have problems fitting the DarkIce struts? I heard the fuse box may come into play when installing.
I got them installed fine, and I remember discussing this issue you mention on my youtube channel, but I can't remember which video it was. Suffice to say they installed just fine with a little tweaking and never gave me problems.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thanks Jeff, I'll see if I can find it.
It's on post #193 of my build thread you can get some info there....around that time which was December 2017 I also shot a video and discussed them though I didn't title it as such but I remember talking about them and showing a few things in conjunction with discussing some other upgrades at the time.

I did find this video I made though maybe it will help:

Hood struts in action, Fiesta ST - YouTube

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thanks Jeff, I'll see if I can find it.
After more sleuthing I found this tidbit I wrote at the time, maybe it will help:

1,729 views • Dec 6, 2017
Dark Ice Design hood struts, $60. Had some install issues as the bracket touches the headlight, but after adjusting the bracket everything fit well. You have to push the bracket all the way (1) toward the cabin and (2) down. If you don't the headlights will not fit all the way. This was not mentioned in the instructions nor in the install video.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
The lid for the fuse box is very hard to get off/on again with the struts in place. I had to pull a relay a few months back and it was a major pain. (fuel pump relay to relieve pressure prior to installation of E-85 sensor for those curious)