Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Exhaust Smell

2017 ST, totally stock, 4k miles. Under hard acceleration, particularly at freeway speeds, a strong exhaust odor enters the cabin somehow. I drive with all the windows up, and have tried recirculation settings and fresh air settings on the HVAC. It doesn't matter, the smell comes through and seems to flood the cabin from the rear as I don't smell anything from the AC vents.

I've heard about the fiasco with the Explorers and exhaust smells and I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this with a Fiesta.

Any info is helpful.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Sorry to hear about this. I have a '17 with just under 4k, one track event under its belt, and a fair amount of hard acceleration [burnout]. I have not noticed exhaust odor yet.

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #5
Sounds like an exhaust leak? Header or downpipe leak?
I thought this as well and will inspect the vehicle once I get it up on stands. Still trying to get my head around how exhaust can enter the car if the cabin is complete sealed without there being some sort of broken seal/joint or vent somewhere. I'm honestly leaning toward the two vents located behind the rear bumper.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
The cabin is never completely sealed. Even in recirculation mode the hvac still draws in fresh air specifically for instances like this where exhaust fumes are making their way inside. I would definitely take it in to the dealer asap. This is not normal and definitely not safe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #7
OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #10
Update: Vehicle taken to dealership. No leaks found. No smell detected. Can't say I blame them really since it's an intermittent issue.

I'm starting to lean more towards possible sealing issues at the rear of the car, maybe the rear hatch or the bumper vents. I recently reached behind the rear bumper and checked the vents; found that they were okay though very flimsy. Cleaned them and the seal with a rag and the smell only comes maybe 1-2 a week and is FAR less pungent. In the coming days I'll remove the rear bumper and inspect other seals. There's a video on YT of a guy who sealed the back of his Fiesta because of water leaking and he showed a bunch of places at the rear of the car where there are poor seals and holes. Will keep you updated.

Have you tried adjusting the striker forward in car? This would add seal compression and possibly remove whatever air loss there may be remaining. [smoking]