Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MRX V-band clamp

Just got an mrx kit from another member. I got everything installed but I'm getting an exhaust leak at the manifold flange. I'm suspecting the v-band clamp is bent causing the flange not to sit flat. Taking the clamp off is a real pain. So I don't want to take the clamp off, leaving the turbo hanging by the lines installed, and wait for a new one to arrive. Does anyone know what size I need? I went to Garrett's website and found that the diameter of the compressor outlet is 63mm (roughly 2.5") Should I just go ahead and get a 2.5" v band clamp?

The only thing is the width of the vband, it's quite a slim one compared to any 2.5" you can get off the net or at a store.

You can call mountune and ask if they can get one for you. That's what I would do. At least you'll know it's the right one. Also, is the fire ring seated correctly? Sometimes they can shift and cause a non-flush fit.

Just got an mrx kit from another member. I got everything installed but I'm getting an exhaust leak at the manifold flange. I'm suspecting the v-band clamp is bent causing the flange not to sit flat. Taking the clamp off is a real pain. So I don't want to take the clamp off, leaving the turbo hanging by the lines installed, and wait for a new one to arrive. Does anyone know what size I need? I went to Garrett's website and found that the diameter of the compressor outlet is 63mm (roughly 2.5") Should I just go ahead and get a 2.5" v band clamp?
If you've never used a vband before it is possible you just didn't seat the flange correctly.

When you install it there should be no gap in the flanges, the job of the vband clamp is not to pull them together, only to keep them held together.

Sound like the leak would be from the V-band. Did you have a hand on the install or no. Where do you see carbon build up that where you leak is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread got me to go poke around at the mrx I just picked up. It looks like the prior owner also had an exhaust leak from the vband judging by the soot and color on the inside of each flange.

Test fitting the adapter to the turbo with out the clamp reveals that the two main flange surfaces do not make contact with each other! There is approx a 1/16th gap on one side of the flange that will not go away no matter the orientation of the adapter. And sure as shit the gap position lines up with the soot marks from the leak.

It's hard to say if the adapted isn't correctly machined or if it's from the casting of the exhaust housing. Making tight tolerance parts work with castings can be a bitch with out post machining the casting!

I believe the easiest solution will be to just slightly ground down the boss of the adapter that fits into the turbo, but I'm going to dive deeper into it next week. I'll post pictures once I have a better handle on the root of the issue and the correct fix.

OP
S
Thread Starter #7
i ended up order a new flange off amazon and i ended up having the same result. figured it wasn't seating properly i pulled the turbo AND manifold out, tapped the turbo into the flange then reinstall. the flange and turbo diameter is almost the same tapping it in on the bench was the only way i could have gotten it in. that install was a trip. everything is in with no leaks and i'm currently getting my tune done with pd-tuning. thanks for everyone's input!