Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

X-47 hybrid turbo video review

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey folks.

I've had so many PMs and e-mails about my setup that I decided to make a video where I talk about this and that. Nothing fancy, just my odometer with some grandma driving (and a few WOT pulls) as I muse on the experience with the X47. At the end I do a quick walkaround.

If there is a mod who can properly embed this it would be awesome. Thanks!

Link:
https://youtu.be/c-sL8TVtraI

Embed:
[video=youtube;c-sL8TVtraI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-sL8TVtraI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:
Nice review, one day I'll upgrade my turbo.... one day.

Also, maybe its just the mic and not sounding the same on video, but your Mountune catback + Cobb catted DP sound pretty quiet (in a good way). Would you say thats accurate? My MAP catback itself seems to be louder and more "boomy."

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Great review Jeff! I can't wait to do a review on all my crap and just get it over with. Everything just sits in my basement in totes.....it's agonizing...that's life though...right....hurry up and wait!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Nice review, one day I'll upgrade my turbo.... one day.

Also, maybe its just the mic and not sounding the same on video, but your Mountune catback + Cobb catted DP sound pretty quiet (in a good way). Would you say thats accurate? My MAP catback itself seems to be louder and more "boomy."
Yes they are quiet, I got those products for that reason, when you hammer it they get loud but nothing obnoxious. You know it's there and if you're a car guy you know it's aftermarket, but to the average listener it just sounds more like what I'd describe as a sport tuned exhaust. Windows down it's a bit louder but still just right for me.

Great review Jeff! I can't wait to do a review on all my crap and just get it over with. Everything just sits in my basement in totes.....it's agonizing...that's life though...right....hurry up and wait!

Bummer man. What else are you waiting to install? Why the wait?

Nice review Jeff !!!
Excellent! Thanks Jeff
Thanks guys! I'll do a Race Gas concentrate review soon and post it. In retrospect I should have done more WOT pulls, I'll make sure I do that next time, that's what people want to see.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Yeah it would be nice to see a few from 0-80 and 3rd-4th gear, but you’ve sold me on it anyway. 3rd-4th wide open is likely too fast for street though. I think it’s exactly what I’m looking for on road course tracks.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Yeah it would be nice to see a few from 0-80 and 3rd-4th gear, but you’ve sold me on it anyway. 3rd-4th wide open is likely too fast for street though. I think it’s exactly what I’m looking for on road course tracks.
I'll get a rolling 5-80 tomorrow and post it here. I can get a 3rd gear to redline too, that's what I do when I datalog, on an on-ramp onto I-20. Give me a day or so, I'm working from home today but tomorrow I'll see what I can do.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's gonna be winter here soon....tuning would be a complete CF in the snow. Even though the air is nice and cool. I'm thinking early spring....hit the ground running. Even though my Turbo isn't an x47 it'll be good to get more data out there for everyone to help make a decision on what setup is right for them. God speed!

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
OK I made a video this morning and got mostly what you were asking for, plus a few thoughts on traction and the 300hp sweet spot.

If a mod could embed this properly I'd appreciate it!

Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJp0f2SvRUE&feature=youtu.be

Embed:
[video=youtube;IJp0f2SvRUE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJp0f2SvRUE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:
I've had my FiST for about a year and a half now and though I really like it I'm on the fence about trading it for something with more power. I drive a lot of straight highway roads and this thing really needs help in the power department. I'm considering a turbo upgrade vs. trading it on a larger car like a GTI or FoST... would you say adding a new turbo would save me the hassle of selling/trading the car?

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
I've had my FiST for about a year and a half now and though I really like it I'm on the fence about trading it for something with more power. I drive a lot of straight highway roads and this thing really needs help in the power department. I'm considering a turbo upgrade vs. trading it on a larger car like a GTI or FoST... would you say adding a new turbo would save me the hassle of selling/trading the car?
If you like your FiST I'd say spend a bit of money and upgrade the turbo. If you sell/trade it on a GTI, you'll need a newer GTI to have any real power increase over the FiST, and you're gonna spend maybe $10k more (sell Fist for $15k, spend $25k on GTI). For a fraction of that ($2k-$3k) you can upgrade the FiST turbo. However a GTI is a much nicer car. So if the FiST isn't you're favorite I say get the GTI, but if you don't mind it's non-premium nature, keep the FiST do the turbo upgrade. If you're picking between the FoST and GTI, go VW and don't look back, it's a much better car in every way.

I very seriously considered a GTI or Golf R before buying the FiST; I drove all 3, the VWs are so much nicer looking, luxury, features, etc....but the FiST is the one that's the bucket list car, it's just so unique and different and is so much more engaging though it's slower. Everyone has a GTI...hardly any FiSTs around.

OK I made a video this morning and got mostly what you were asking for, plus a few thoughts on traction and the 300hp sweet spot.

If a mod could embed this properly I'd appreciate it!

Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJp0f2SvRUE&feature=youtu.be

Embed:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IJp0f2SvRUE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
There's a button:

Last edited:
Jeff,

Great video. Very informative. Somewhere you had mentioned how the turbo was good for where the stock turbo stops putting out power. I agree with you 100%, I am not wanting to argue on this. I love my high power car, but I have to agree, the power up top is only good for trouble. Whenever I am getting on the car on the street I have to stop and think about the laws I am breaking... lol [loveboost]

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Hey man thanks for that. I went and edited both vids on this thread, using that button and pasting the embed link from youtube, but both times it's not showing up. What am I doing wrong?

I appreciate it.

Jeff,

Great video. Very informative. Somewhere you had mentioned how the turbo was good for where the stock turbo stops putting out power. I agree with you 100%, I am not wanting to argue on this. I love my high power car, but I have to agree, the power up top is only good for trouble. Whenever I am getting on the car on the street I have to stop and think about the laws I am breaking... lol [loveboost]
Thanks, in the first video I talked more about general this and that, the 2nd one is more a "2 months later" perspective.

It's great to hear that you feel the same way, I wondered if I'd get flamed for those comments, but it's the honest truth. Still it's worth it in my opinion, but it is important to note, for a daily driver/non track and autoX car, the new HP isn't really something I can use until illegal speeds for the most part. In the first week after the swap I began to realize this....all this new power to redline is great but I'm doing 85mph at that point. Anywhere except the interstate that's (1) dumb (2) unsafe (3) illegal. That's why I said what I said about power beyond 300....though it's all relative, I guess 200 is to 300 as 300 is to 375....

Looking forward to hearing the results of YOUR new setup.

If you like your FiST I'd say spend a bit of money and upgrade the turbo. If you sell/trade it on a GTI, you'll need a newer GTI to have any real power increase over the FiST, and you're gonna spend maybe $10k more (sell Fist for $15k, spend $25k on GTI). For a fraction of that ($2k-$3k) you can upgrade the FiST turbo. However a GTI is a much nicer car. So if the FiST isn't you're favorite I say get the GTI, but if you don't mind it's non-premium nature, keep the FiST do the turbo upgrade. If you're picking between the FoST and GTI, go VW and don't look back, it's a much better car in every way.

I very seriously considered a GTI or Golf R before buying the FiST; I drove all 3, the VWs are so much nicer looking, luxury, features, etc....but the FiST is the one that's the bucket list car, it's just so unique and different and is so much more engaging though it's slower. Everyone has a GTI...hardly any FiSTs around.
Thanks for the comments, I do enjoy the Fist a lot, it's my favorite car so far. A bit more power and it'll be perfect for me.

I've been shopping around and have come across a few used C39 turbos, an MRX and I'm still leaning towards the X47.

Hey man thanks for that. I went and edited both vids on this thread, using that button and pasting the embed link from youtube, but both times it's not showing up. What am I doing wrong?

I appreciate it.

Thanks, in the first video I talked more about general this and that, the 2nd one is more a "2 months later" perspective.

It's great to hear that you feel the same way, I wondered if I'd get flamed for those comments, but it's the honest truth. Still it's worth it in my opinion, but it is important to note, for a daily driver/non track and autoX car, the new HP isn't really something I can use until illegal speeds for the most part. In the first week after the swap I began to realize this....all this new power to redline is great but I'm doing 85mph at that point. Anywhere except the interstate that's (1) dumb (2) unsafe (3) illegal. That's why I said what I said about power beyond 300....though it's all relative, I guess 200 is to 300 as 300 is to 375....

Looking forward to hearing the results of YOUR new setup.
Try going into advanced editing mode.