Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need to take off the wheel to install gfb dv+?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Just wondering - I have a set of ramps and I was going to pull up on 'em this weekend. My jackstands are in storage and I won't trust just a jack. Watching an install video I don't see why it *wouldn't* work (ramps) but let me know what you think :)

I already have my ball-head hex set, always makes gfb installs easier

You can try, you'll know pretty quickly if you can pull it off without. IMO it's hard enough to do with the wheel off I would need a bigger swear jar to do it with the wheel on.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

It is much easier to just lift up the car remove the boost hose. I have done it both ways and it is MUCH easier and not as cramped going from underneath.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I did without. Just jacked it up. Did it by feel. Removed a bpv spacer and installed gfb in 45 minutes. Though I'm scared of my dp install I have not done yet.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yeah it was a pain already with the wheel off. I wouldn't even attempt it with the wheel on. Make sure to have a wobble extension (8").

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I tried wheel on...it was still a bitch with the wheel off. Take your pick. i recommend a wobble extension or a long ball hex set (the route i went). A straight hex makes it difficult not to strip the bolts as the angle doesn't allow the hex to seat fully in the bolt every time. So with a regular hex/no wobble you can seat it, do one or two turns on the bolt but soon enough it will start to back out a bit. You won't realize it and on your very next turn it'll slip and strip the bolt a bit more each time. Ask me how i know. But i thankfully had spare bolts from my spare turbo

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
With that short extension it was a straight shot to the bolt. First time I did it I removed the wheel and used a ball 90° allen wrench didn't help me so the next time I just left the wheel on and just used the newly bought 5mm socket allen in the pic.

I'm no better than any of you all here. I come here for advice and courage to get stuff done that at the time seems like a large undertaking.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Oh and I hate allen heads. Just can't take torque.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Oh and I hate allen heads. Just can't take torque.

I always make sure to tap the end of the socket to make sure the allen head gets all the way in and fully seated. Seems to solve that problem.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I think the hatred comes grom years of rc cars. The things wear out after continued use.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
All depends on the stack up height of the socket and extension.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
I'll be giving it a shot some time this week most likely, I'll try to document the process when I do.

I'll vouch, all I used was a 3/8 drive ratchet, extension for top invisibolt, and 5mm allen socket.

I did the RMM and dv+ on ramps while under the car from the front. Left hand worked under the motor and right hand went in the control arm area. The top bolt was around 2 clicks of the ratchet at a time in my right hand but didn't take more than 5 minutes. The other 2 were done quicker with my left hand and being accessible.

If anyone is thinking of doing this, it's not hard. Just don't get pissed, be patient, and close your eyes and feel what you're doing. Don't bother watching it

I just installed this last week. No need to remove the wheel. All I used was a short 3/8 ratchet and a 5mm Allen socket. Had it on and off in 15 mins.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
I used ball head Allen wrenches and it took forever due to lack of leverage on the top bolt - using a ratchet with extensions would definitely be faster