Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New 17 ST Owner and New to Forum

Hey all, Just got a 17 FiST. I'm stoked. Wish I had a few thousand more dollars to mod it.

Does anyone know the break in period for the 1.6T and the factory oil they use?

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Welcome. you're going to really enjoy it. The factory break-in is on p.15 of the ST manual. It basically says no extensive break-in is needed and to vary your speed frequently for the first 1000 miles. My mechanic friends also say don't hammer it, don't baby it. One of the threads referenced above has a much more extensive break in procedure that one member recommends.
The factory fill is typically Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend. Fyi it sometimes has a color die to aid in leak detection. This has freaked some people out when they drain and look at it. I would recommend going to a high quality full synthetic oil, in the same viscosity, at the first oil change.

OP
A
Thread Starter #4
I usually use Mobil one Full Synthetic. I just traded in my 14 fiesta se ran perfect 71k miles, but it was an automatic...

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Assume, the "break in" period is done, when you stop seeing flakes in the oil change. Mine had three to five (don't recall) changes before 10k. Was on Castrol GTX, went to Magnetec and in the cold temps which significantly thicken up dino oil, are now on Castrol Edge. 5w-30 seems better for hot weather and the seemingly lighter thinner (despite the same bottom number) stuff 5w-20 seems better for cool and cold weather.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...before-driving?p=262596&viewfull=1#post262596

Gearbox88m

Active Duty U.S. Army
Welcome. Good thing about the FiST is mods aren't 100% necessary to have fun, in fact mods don't do a whole hell of a lot, like say on a GTI.

Just drive her and have fun.

me32

1000 Post Club
My perference is to drive the car normal like you would any other car. Run the factory fill oil for 5k.