Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Trouble with changing into 1st gear

Hey,

recently I noticed problems with changing into the 1st gear (when I wanted to move my car). I also noticed the same problem changing into 3rd gear but the 1st gear failiure is more annoying (especially when you can't move your car for a while).

Do you know what might be the problem? Gearbox?

My car is 2013 Fiesta ST with ca. 38k miles (60k km) on the clock.

I would be thankful for any advice.

Kacper

Hey,

recently I noticed problems with changing into the 1st gear (when I wanted to move my car). I also noticed the same problem changing into 3rd gear but the 1st gear failiure is more annoying (especially when you can't move your car for a while).

Kacper
Try shifting into second, then into first and see if that helps.

OP
K
Thread Starter #3
Thanks! I'll try that. I hope it's not a major issue though.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
It sounds like synchro(s) aren’t lining up. Put it in a different gear then try again. If it becomes a big issue (meaning: it happens 100% of the time), the synchros will need replaced. So long as you are still within warranty- Ford will replace them.

It sounds like synchro(s) aren’t lining up. Put it in a different gear then try again. If it becomes a big issue (meaning: it happens 100% of the time), the synchros will need replaced. So long as you are still within warranty- Ford will replace them.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Synchros are friction material that will get gears spinning so that the dogs may be engaged without grinding--they do mechanically what rev matching does. How do they line up? Me learning something new is always a good thing.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Synchros are friction material that will get gears spinning so that the dogs may be engaged without grinding--they do mechanically what rev matching does. How do they line up? Me learning something new is always a good thing.
You got me; my bad. The synchro(s) may not be working, so the DOGS aren’t lining up? Does that work?

I’m not a mechanic, but my friend was having the same problems with his 2015 GT Mustang, because the synchros needed replaced. They were replaced; no questions asked.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Hey,

Kacper
Hi Kacper. As you're coasting to a stop and are *barely* moving at all, shift into first gear. To a varying degree it is normal for that to occur with manual shifts. This was *very* rare with my previous vehicle, but is the norm with my motorcycle. Likely just depends on the transmission's first gear ratio and internal design, but regardless that is how I avoid the problem.

With regard to third gear, there is "large" wall between the 1st and 3rd, and many folks (myself included) used to hit it when new to shifting on this vehicle. When you're pushing up from second, ever-so-slightly push it right, as you're moving the shifter up, to avoid hitting that wall. Shifting between all other gears is normal. It's just 2 to 3 that is this way; and has absolutely nothing to do with the transmission.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
The machined cut on the edge of the synchro draws it into engagement. When rounded from wear or damage they just bounce off so to speak.

felopr

The syncro teeths are like a pointy triangle, when you grind a gear you are griding the syncro teeth on the syncros or in the gear perse, over time if you grind it alot, the pointy teeth become round, so they just kinda skip, harder to get in gear

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey,

Kacper
Ford has a 5yr...60k power train warranty...you may need to get it transferred to you if your not the 1st original owner. My trans howled like a madman in 4th gear and started to in 6th before it was replaced at 30k I think it was a couple months ago. Look into the warranty....IMO.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
When the transmission is cold, mine doesn't want to go into 1st as easily as it would when the transmission is warm. I put it back into neutral and try again. If that doesn't work, I got into 2nd, then into 1st while stopped. After a few shifts, the gearbox warms up enough and the problem goes away. It does seem to be happening more this winter than normal, but it has also been 10 months since the car has been driven in these cold of temps.

OP
K
Thread Starter #15
Thanks guys!

Shifting into 2nd and than into 1st indeed helps (while stopped) :)

At the moment the problem appears really seldom. I hope I'll not have to change the synchros (as mentioned above) :)

OP
K
Thread Starter #16
Unfortunately, I'm not the first owner and I don't have the warranty documents. I hope won't have to change the whole power train :)

Unfortunately, I'm not the first owner and I don't have the warranty documents. I hope won't have to change the whole power train :)
Most of us that are in the U.S. will have no idea what the laws are where you are in Poland, and no idea what warranty your car has over there. In the U.S. you would need no paperwork at all. Show up at a dealer with a car still under warranty and the dealer will repair it, and will also update the Ford records so you are reflected as the new owner for recall or any other communications.

OP
K
Thread Starter #18
@ Apex1, unfortunately it is totally diffrent in the EU. In Poland you need to have the warranty agreement (document), and warranty is usually valid for a certain period of time, usually for 1 or 2 years. Also, my car was brought from Switzerland and I didn't get any warranty papers (I was told that the warranty expired).

Well it really sounds like you don't have a big problem. The difficulty shifting into first gear sometimes is common, not just with the FiST but with many cars. The second gear then first gear technique is one way to address it. Another thing try is to stop in neutral and take your foot off the clutch for a short time--just to let the pedal up, then immediately depress it again--and then go from neutral to first gear. This "double clutch" technique will often help a lot, getting the gears spinning at the same speed.