Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bad Engine Mount?

Hey guys, I've got an issue with my other car that I'm wondering if you can help me diagnose. To start, the car is an 05 Mazda3 S hatchback (2.3L/5spd) with around 130k miles on it. The car recently starting making this rather horrible groaning noise ONLY when I am making a right turn under power. So if I make the turn but have the clutch in there is no noise. The sound is somewhat intermittent through the turn (so it isn't just one long groan, but multiple short ones) as I accelerate. I'm thinking it's the engine mount since it needs to be under power and is during a turn, and I'm guessing it's the passenger side mount as it's under tension during a right turn. Any thoughts? Am I on the right track or way off base? Any input is appreciated.

sounds more like a CV joint to me. When they go bad they make all sorts of noise when making turns.

OP
MichiganST
Thread Starter #3
sounds more like a CV joint to me. When they go bad they make all sorts of noise when making turns.
Even when it's only under power? I was thinking that if it's bearing or CV joint it would make the noise when I turned regardless. This only happens if I'm hitting the accelerator.

Based off of your mileage (assuming that they have never been changed) along with the symptom you are describing, yes it is the CV joint. The sound usually increases when you are accelerating through a turn.