Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Liking, but not loving my car. What single mod "made" the car for you?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Just wondering - I've had my fiesta a few months now and I *like* it, but I'm not really "loving" it. With most of my past cars I either kinda bonded with them within the first 3 months or I sold them and moved on. I'm really impressed with the fiesta's qualities, but I'm constantly missing my previous fiat 500 Abarth (which was, on paper, the worse car). I'm looking to inject a little character. I know exhaust is an option, though I want to avoid a tinny rice rocket sound, or excessive drone, and I don't necessarily want "straight piped" loud (where I work/live will ticket you on sight if you appear to have aftermarket exhaust - I got pulled over many times in my Abarth and had to fight the fix-it tickets, since it was stock(ish)). The fiesta seems a great car, I have ~1300 miles on it now, but it feels kinda "sterile". I'd love to hear what, for you guys, was the one defining mod that really helped you bond with the car. Since I bought it, I've gotten an intake (which helped a bit!) and need to find time to install my GFB DV+ (thanks ron@whoosh!). Maybe the answer *is* exhaust, though I'm not sure if I want to go down that road. Let me know what's worked for you all :)

I've been eyeing a fiat 124 spider abarth as a "weekender" and keep my ST as a daily, but that's probably not the responsible decision. I just got rid of my Grand National a while back, it just wasn't getting driven anymore. There's even a chance that I'll pick up an early used 500 Abarth as a weekend toy, but I'd love to find a way to be happy with just the ST for right now, I'm really enjoying having so much free garage space to work on other stuff and set up my guitars and whatnot.

To get an idea of past vehicles that held my interest, my history of "loved" cars includes a few v8 swapped fieros (I love the things), 2 grand nationals, a porsche 914 (restomod then sold, shouldn't have sold!), an 80's mazda 626 I turbocharged with junkyard parts and used for rallycross, a couple supercharged Nissan Maximas (I love the vq engines!) and a several other toys including an absurd number of motorcycles. (I buy bikes that people parked for winter and never rode again, clean and tune-up then sell. 1000 mile bikes for 750 bucks? Sure!).

I suppose I could always build a v8 miata to add some insanity back into my life ;)
Cars I'm always on the look-out for: Datsun 240z, 1977ish Toyota celica, another fiero, a dodge omni glh-s, a low-mileage stock SRT-4(rare as a unicorn), a low-mileage stock 240sx(also rare as a unicorn).

I'm rambling, I realize now - back to my original point, what single mod gave you a lil' tingle in your hangly downs?

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Just wondering - I've had my fiesta a few months now and I *like* it, but I'm not really "loving" it. With most of my past cars I either kinda bonded with them within the first 3 months or I sold them and moved on. I'm really impressed with the fiesta's qualities, but I'm constantly missing my previous fiat 500 Abarth (which was, on paper, the worse car). I'm looking to inject a little character. I know exhaust is an option, though I want to avoid a tinny rice rocket sound, or excessive drone, and I don't necessarily want "straight piped" loud (where I work/live will ticket you on sight if you appear to have aftermarket exhaust - I got pulled over many times in my Abarth and had to fight the fix-it tickets, since it was stock(ish)). The fiesta seems a great car, I have ~1300 miles on it now, but it feels kinda "sterile". I'd love to hear what, for you guys, was the one defining mod that really helped you bond with the car. Since I bought it, I've gotten an intake (which helped a bit!) and need to find time to install my GFB DV+ (thanks ron@whoosh!). Maybe the answer *is* exhaust, though I'm not sure if I want to go down that road. Let me know what's worked for you all :)

I've been eyeing a fiat 124 spider abarth as a "weekender" and keep my ST as a daily, but that's probably not the responsible decision. I just got rid of my Grand National a while back, it just wasn't getting driven anymore. There's even a chance that I'll pick up an early used 500 Abarth as a weekend toy, but I'd love to find a way to be happy with just the ST for right now, I'm really enjoying having so much free garage space to work on other stuff and set up my guitars and whatnot.

To get an idea of past vehicles that held my interest, my history of "loved" cars includes a few v8 swapped fieros (I love the things), 2 grand nationals, a porsche 914 (restomod then sold, shouldn't have sold!), an 80's mazda 626 I turbocharged with junkyard parts and used for rallycross, a couple supercharged Nissan Maximas (I love the vq engines!) and a several other toys including an absurd number of motorcycles. (I buy bikes that people parked for winter and never rode again, clean and tune-up then sell. 1000 mile bikes for 750 bucks? Sure!).

I suppose I could always build a v8 miata to add some insanity back into my life ;)
Cars I'm always on the look-out for: Datsun 240z, 1977ish Toyota celica, another fiero, a dodge omni glh-s, a low-mileage stock SRT-4(rare as a unicorn), a low-mileage stock 240sx(also rare as a unicorn).

I'm rambling, I realize now - back to my original point, what single mod gave you a lil' tingle in your hangly downs?
rear motor mount + tune

just my .02

I don't like the engine / trans flip floppy dance stock and after adding the power from just flashing a tune, well it's the game changer for the car hands down

Resonator delete and swift lowering springs did it for me. Subtle mods that made the car look, feel, and sound as I thought it should from the factory.

You know its funny, at first I regretted my purchase. I came from the Subie world. I drove the car stock for a whole 1k miles before starting the mods. First in was a RMM and tune. Since then an IC, IC Piping, GFB DV+, Coilovers, E30 tune. I'm honestly not sure where in between I started liking the car to loving it. All that to say you should start with the RMM and a good tune like [MENTION=5976]ron@whoosh[/MENTION] was saying.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I know you (or your local LEOs) may consider it too loud, but the CP-E Nexus exhaust really made me appreciate this car much more, since the factory system was just way too DEAD silent for me to even tell it was running!

Given, it will NEVER be/have the driving dynamics of a very high powered RWD (or AWD) ride (like the power ON oversteer on demand, which I DO miss from my LS1 Z28), but there is really NO OTHER, fairly economical, FWD performance 'hot hatch' out there in (or even out of for me) this price range new, which I would have even considered, "sterile" or not. [wink]

EVEN IF one is a die-hard, JDM YO-YOer/worshiper, their 'god-car' Type R is a MUCH more costly proposition (IF you can even stand the origami aesthetics), and is STILL FWD anyway.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
You know its funny, at first I regretted my purchase. I came from the Subie world. I drove the car stock for a whole 1k miles before starting the mods. First in was a RMM and tune. Since then an IC, IC Piping, GFB DV+, Coilovers, E30 tune. I'm honestly not sure where in between I started liking the car to loving it. All that to say you should start with the RMM and a good tune like [MENTION=5976]ron@whoosh[/MENTION] was saying.
more more more!!!
this car grows on you too
I like it more every day and when I drive something else can appreciate it it more as well

more more more!!!
this car grows on you too
I like it more every day and when I drive something else can appreciate it it more as well
Yeah tell me about it! First track day was like... "Dont care if I put it in a wall/roll it, I got GAP insurance and I'll just go back and get another Subie!" Now I'm over here saving for a LSD, Turbo, Manifold, Aux Fuel, and WMI kit! Stupid Rabbit hole I keep going down! BTW it is such a rush to keep up with Porsches mid-corner, received many... your car is quick compliments at the track, it cracks me up.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
rear motor mount + tune

just my .02

I don't like the engine / trans flip floppy dance stock and after adding the power from just flashing a tune, well it's the game changer for the car hands down
I'm scared of doing a tune now :| maybe it'll change when I get a better sense of how Ford dealers are. I had an F150 lightning for a while but it was OOW, dealership experience was ok, they just wanted to talk about the truck. I'm just wary of rejected warranty claims on my DD. The only reason I've wanted a tune so far was really to get rid of the rev hang, that's pretty infuriating. Even stock the car pops a lot on downshifts, its just really quiet (a gentle "floomp" when decelerating). RMM seems safe tho, that's definitely on the roadmap, I can feel the engine slopping back and forth. It seems to be the trend with vehicles now, I had to do a poly rear mount on my Abarth too, the engine moved so much stock that my intake hose was bouncing off a radiator support bolt.

Last edited:

HBEcoBeaST

It's a novelty having a fiesta that can come into turns 'hotter' than a lot of super cars (or at least faster than their drivers). I was playing with a viper and almost rear ended him he'd slow down so much for turns. I also went down GMR (canyon road) following a new corvette and I had to pass him.

In this car you get looks of bewilderment that transform into nods of approval. The smile factor alone is worth it. I've never had a car as mischievous as this one. And to top it off I can fit my surfboards inside and it looks good with a roof rack.

Mods are cheap.

But to each their own. I have had a track dedicated 06 Z06, stripped mx-5 and my Toyota tundra truck was my daily. I still have the truck but it just sits. I find every excuse to drive the 'EcoBeast' everywhere.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Zissou

For a single thing, the Cobb AccessPort that gives way to good tunes. Def the most bang for your buck and really wakes the car up.
If you ever need to take it to the dealership it's so easy to remove and then put back on later.
Also consider getting a RMM along with it.

The Injen intake had me giggling after I installed it. It didn't really add power but the sound is so fun.

Likewise with the turbo back exhaust. Not a big power bump but boy does it sound good.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
rear motor mount + tune

just my .02

Is the bushing insert kit https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...t/products/powerflex-rear-motor-mount-inserts a reasonable option given that the stock mount is under 2k miles, or is it a better idea to get a whole new mount?

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Here's my tentative "build list", in no specific order

- Intake [done]
- Tint [done]
- GFB DV+ [in progress]
- Symposer delete [HIGH PRIORITY] https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...-delete-kit-2014-2017-fiesta-st-free-shipping
- RMM [reviewing options]
- Weathertech Floor liners https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...ertech-2014-fiesta-floor-liners-free-shipping
- Weathertech Cargo Liner https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...4-ford-fiesta-cargo-liner-black-free-shipping
- Rally Armor flappies, save the boobies edition https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...-available-free-shipping?variant=158598365198
- Start button trim ring [shut up i like it] https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...-accent-ring-4-colors-available-free-shipping
- Turbosmart boost gauge https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...ts/turbosmart-boost-gauge-0-30psi-52mm-2-1-16
- Cobb Tuner w/ probably stratified tune
- Some sort of subdued but still there exhaust. Maybe electronically valved? I might have to stop being lazy and build one, or stop being anti social and go to a meet to hear other people's cars :p

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
For a few hunnit I would get the Pierce lower front brace and trunk brace. I got the 6pt front (but the 4pt and even the 2pt willmake anbig difference), with the trunk brace and the midship brace. Stock suspension and stock tires and holy hell it transformed the car. This thing freaking POINTS now. The steering is so damn precise and responsive now.

Or you could get an Accessport and stg1 package and run an OTS tune from Stratified for about $600. It also transforms the car. Tons of mid-range punch and probably adds a good 20hp and 100tq.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Is the bushing insert kit https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...t/products/powerflex-rear-motor-mount-inserts a reasonable option given that the stock mount is under 2k miles, or is it a better idea to get a whole new mount?
it is a good option and Powerflex is one of my favorite bushing companies to date 'but" to take full advantage of that kit, you have to press out the OEM bushing so unless you have a press at your home/shop or don't mind paying to have this fitted maybe a full replacement mount may be better suited for you. Just knowing you so far and what you've encountered up to this mount.
I have a few stock mounts I've been meaning to pre-install these kits in for a while now for a small fee. Maybe that would interest you.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
it is a good option and Powerflex is one of my favorite bushing companies to date 'but" to take full advantage of that kit, you have to press out the OEM bushing so unless you have a press at your home/shop or don't mind paying to have this fitted maybe a full replacement mount may be better suited for you. Just knowing you so far and what you've encountered up to this mount.
I have a few stock mounts I've been meaning to pre-install these kits in for a while now for a small fee. Maybe that would interest you.
The more stock it looks the better :D shoot me some pricing! I'm a huge fan of sleepers/hidden mods. I have a press I used for motorcycle bearings but it's buried under a ton of junk in the garage.

A7xogg

The more stock it looks the better :D shoot me some pricing! I'm a huge fan of sleepers/hidden mods. I have a press I used for motorcycle bearings but it's buried under a ton of junk in the garage.
do the powerflex engine and tranny mount with the motor mount. that should add enough tone and nice engine growls. and go do a autocross with the fiesta. you wont feel sterile after that

MPA

A custom tune is definitely what did it for me

I've been running a Cobb RMM for about 27k miles and have no issues with it

zanethan

More supportive seats did it for me. I had the base seats like you and swapped in some from a BRZ. They're a perfect hybrid of comfort and support.