Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Any love for Rockville speakers?

green_henry

1000 Post Club
My biggest (only?) disappointment with my new FiST is the sound system, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money to upgrade it (I'd rather spend that on wheels, tires, Cobb AP, etc). My understanding is that the Sony head unit output is 8ohms so the most common aftermarket speakers don't seem viable. I was able to find some 6.5" 8ohm midrange speakers from Rockville and they're very inexpensive: https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rm68pro/

Has anybody had any experience, good or bad, with Rockville? Will 3.07" depth fit? Other recommendations?

I am no expert, but you will be disappointed if you are just changing out speakers. There really isn't any difference in sound changing out the factory speakers. The head unit is the main issue. Best thing that I could suggest would be a amp and a sub. It really helps balance the stock system out.

OP
G

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I am no expert, but you will be disappointed if you are just changing out speakers. There really isn't any difference in sound changing out the factory speakers. The head unit is the main issue. Best thing that I could suggest would be a amp and a sub. It really helps balance the stock system out.
I think you're probably right. I wouldn't mind spending some money for an amp, but I haven't seen any good threads on how to hook one up to the existing head unit ... but I will keep looking.

A line converter of some sort from one of the front speakers will get you the signal you need for the amp. Other than that, installation is pretty much the same.

OP
G

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Thanks, that's a very good thread, but it's a bit further (in terms of money and effort) than I'd like to go. I was hoping that new midrange speakers would be an inexpensive and effective upgrade -- they're inexpensive but they may not be very effective [mecry] That's okay, it will just focus my efforts and budget on getting it ready for the track next spring [raceflag]

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
My biggest (only?) disappointment with my new FiST is the sound system, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money to upgrade it (I'd rather spend that on wheels, tires, Cobb AP, etc). My understanding is that the Sony head unit output is 8ohms so the most common aftermarket speakers don't seem viable. I was able to find some 6.5" 8ohm midrange speakers from Rockville and they're very inexpensive: https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rm68pro/

Has anybody had any experience, good or bad, with Rockville? Will 3.07" depth fit? Other recommendations?
Go online to Crutchfield and you will find many speaker upgrades for the FIST. Stay away from the junk like "Rockville". They also have a nice inexpensive under seat powered sub. There are older threads on here that covers speaker upgrades.

OP
G

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Go online to Crutchfield and you will find many speaker upgrades for the FIST. Stay away from the junk like "Rockville". They also have a nice inexpensive under seat powered sub. There are older threads on here that covers speaker upgrades.
I've bought a lot of stuff from Crutchfield for other cars (TSX, Accord, CR-X, Highlander), but I'm a little skeptical about their speaker recommendations if the head unit is expecting 8ohms instead of 4ohms. I think the Crutchfield recommendations will sound good initially but will cause the head unit to die prematurely.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I've bought a lot of stuff from Crutchfield for other cars (TSX, Accord, CR-X, Highlander), but I'm a little skeptical about their speaker recommendations if the head unit is expecting 8ohms instead of 4ohms. I think the Crutchfield recommendations will sound good initially but will cause the head unit to die prematurely.
The factory speakers are 4 ohms. IMAG0677.jpg

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Look at the "inexpensive audio" thread for more info....maybe too much!