Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

School me on brakes

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Have you noticed?

I can make a point without personal insults... because I don't have to. [dictate] My points stand on their own. With regard to understanding and comprehension, asking questions goes a long way.

Your Point: I can't read because I stated or implied, "ceramic pads are harder on rotors".

My Point: Again... the HARDER the pad, the MORE your rotors wear. Again, this is a simple fact of physics. What will wear your rotors more? Organic or Ceramic? Will you say "Organic"?

The statement *you* made rests upon the assumption that every semi-metallic is softer than every ceramic and that there is a significant difference. Both assumptions are incorrect. Remember, there is a wide margin for compositioning, "30-65%" according your copy & paste statements from a marketing page. Knowing that we cannot simply throw physics out the window, it stands to reason that SOME Semi-Metallic pads "COULD POSSIBLY" (link) wear your rotors "A LITTLE (link)" (notice all the qualifiers yet?) more than ceramic, depending upon composition... and composition translates to... wait... wait some more... h a r d n e s s. Physics may also lend to the idea that your smoother ceramic pads simply work by converting more of the kinetic energy to heat. However, there's still a trade-off... the hotter the metal rotor, the softer it becomes. The softer it is, the quicker and easier it is to wear away... hence, why I previously mentioned changing to denser rotors as means of offsetting the additional hardness. Also to note, smoother pads regardless of hardness, produce less friction meaning, less stopping power. Again, we can't throw physics out the window. So the trade-off is that the additional stopping distance may circumstantially translate to additional wear.

If we are to completely ignore physics and say, "you can have a harder pad with less rotor wear," then it would be quite simple to develop a really hard pad... let's say 99% ceramics... that has great stopping power and provides significantly less wear on stock or run-of-the-mill density rotors. That trade-off... (that damned physics again...) says that yeah, you wouldn't wear much on the pad or the rotor... but minus the clamping force of tectonic fault line, you wouldn't stop either.
Those are all suggestions I made....not insults...take it or leave it....so chill....cool runnings mate! [emoji1135]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

me32

1000 Post Club
Yes it was to reiterate that ceramic pads ARE NOT harder on rotors. If you have trouble reading I know some tutors and maybe hooked on phonics might help. Just remember left to right when reading take breaks...Tylenol for and headaches and Midol for any cramps.

Try hawk ceramic pads on stock rotors. On my 03 cobra they sure wore the rotor much faster than the stock pads did. Same thing happened on my 03 F150. The ceramic pad performed better.

OP
miguel.in.az
Thread Starter #23
This thread has taken a turn lol.

Recap:

-Mountune street pads on OEM rotors
-Hawk 5.0 pads on stop tech rotors
- Carbotech pads on centric rotors
- OEM pads/rotors

felopr

Recap:

- OEM pads/rotors
hawk 5.0, not obligated to stop tech rotors, just blanks in general

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

Recap:

- OEM pads/rotors
Pick one...that's what i did...i spoke to OAKOS on the phone about my Carbotechs before I bought them. Told them what I wanted and I went with what he suggested....so far so good! Only time will tell....but it's been 6+months....like the smooth stopping....less dust to clean off and the pads are Red so they add a little flare to my plains jane colored calipers.