Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Downpipe bolts. Info please.

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
Would a porter cable 20 volt 1/4 inch impact be too much torque for these bolts if I could fit it in there somewhere?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Would a porter cable 20 volt 1/4 inch impact be too much torque for these bolts if I could fit it in there somewhere?

ARP bolts in general are the cream of the crop for fasteners.They will be hard to break but then again I've seen square pegs get put into round holes with enough force..I do everything by hand as it gives you a feel for how it's going together. If it was me I'd hand tighten it all and when it starts to get tight....3/4 turn it gets. Then I come back later on and check them....I'll bet they are no more than 10-20 ft. Lbs in the manual.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
I ment removing them. Lots of liquid wrench and lil impacts maybe.

I just put my Whoosh downpipe on and I had the bolts. I was able to remove the bottom two with a ratchet wrench and the top one with a 3/8 ratchet. They shoudnt be on tight. My biggest issue was getting the upstream o2 sensor to come loose. If you run into the same issue it will come out with it still attached.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I ment removing them. Lots of liquid wrench and lil impacts maybe.

I'd get some deep creep or kroil...both are excellent penetrants... But liquid wrench or PB blaster will do....the longer they soak...the easier they are coming off. If you can get an impact sure....but remember...There is no way to tell if the stud or bolt will snap off with an impact....I only use impacts on wheels and shit with a large amount of torque on them.

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
Thx guys I'm mustering up the " you got this you have done harder" will to start this evening by getting to the bolts and soaking over night. Then continuing tomorrow including a cp-e exhaust install.

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
Okay! Well screw that damn heat shield! The 2 bolts that the downpipe hooks to came loose fairly easy. The third is soaking overnite. The 2 15mm exhaust nuts are stuck. Broke a tool on my 1/2 inch impact nut kinda thought that was going to happen. Those are also soaking overnite. Will update tomorrow if anyone cares. Thx guys.

Okay! Well screw that damn heat shield! The 2 bolts that the downpipe hooks to came loose fairly easy. The third is soaking overnite. The 2 15mm exhaust nuts are stuck. Broke a tool on my 1/2 inch impact nut kinda thought that was going to happen. Those are also soaking overnite. Will update tomorrow if anyone cares. Thx guys.

Grab a torch from your local home depot for the exhaust bolts. You can get them for like 30 bucks. It'll save you at least 10 cuss words.

jeff

2000 Post Club
You can do it. Go for it. “I’ve done harder stuff”, i tell myself that often. Keep us updated!!

Yes stuff is going to break so don’t be alarmed. You have the right parts ready, i assume and hope, and you can replace whatever breaks. Yeah torch will help but sounds like it’s too late for that trick but maybe not...overnight soak can do wonders.

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
I have 2 propane torches but won't it light the liquid wrench thats all over it? Lol

jeff

2000 Post Club
I have 2 propane torches but won't it light the liquid wrench thats all over it? Lol

Wipe it off beforehand and that will remove most of it. Some will light up quickly but like gasoline it will burn off soon. I'd try to wrench it though before applying heat, it might have loosened up overnight with the soaking.

Good luck! If you get discouraged, go inside, eat some cookies, rest your back, and try again later.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
A good penetrant is equivalent to a torch! Not all penetrants are created equal!

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #33
I have had great results years ago with liquid wrench so it's my go to. There might be better out there. The true test will be those exhaust bolts.

jeff

2000 Post Club
My DP to CBE bolts were stuck, one came off but the other broke off after plenty of soaking. My philosophy is, if it's gonna break and it's easy to replace as these are, I go ahead and break it, and put something better quality in it's place.

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #35
Woohoo electric impact got the first one off and it took the air impact to get the second one. Exhaust bolts thst is. Pray for me on the last downpipe bolt!

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
I got it out ha ha! Okay now to cut the exhaust for the cpe and get the downpipe out the car lol its just hanging in there.

Last edited:
OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #37
Took over an hour to wrestle that thing out the bottom. Then getting the heat shield back on after I bent it up getting it out. I gave up till tomorrow evening. Exhaust is out also. So tomorrow is reassembling everything else and bolting up the exhaust.

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #38
Well..... all done cept the cowl, headlights, and wipers. Decided to leave the the heat shield out for the moment. It just gave me too much hell. My downpipe bracket hole had to be drilled out a lil bit. The clamps on my cp-e exhaust clamps were too lose. Two spots were welded a bit from previous owner. Ground off the welds flush. Same 2 clamps all the way tight and the pipes would still move fairly easy. I made 2 1 inch wide 9.5 inches long shims to go between the clamps and pipes like a ring. Worked like a charm! Sounds bitchen. Not too loud. I thought it would be louder. Have not tried the freeway for drone. Got some smoke but was expected. New downpipe, new heat wrap on it, and liquid wrench burning off. Just down the street car felt stout. I almost hit 21 psi. Dont ever think I broke 20 on stg 2. Thx guys I really appreciate all the advice and encouragement. This forum is full of stand up guys!

The ARP feel nice and heavy, and the machining looks good. Anyone know what they're made of, and where? And as far as installation is concerned will these fit in lieu of the bolts if you happen to have them?

Quisp

1000 Post Club
The ARP feel nice and heavy, and the machining looks good. Anyone know what they're made of, and where? And as far as installation is concerned will these fit in lieu of the bolts if you happen to have them?

300 stainless. Yes a stud can replace a bolt.