Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is revving to the limiter harmfull?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
shhhhhhh

the pops make me smile, it makes me miss my 08 gt that would pop fireballs coming down from high rpm or on wot shifts with the ignition cut setup on my nitrous tune
A very high overlap cam, with the obligatory tune would also do that on LSx engines, even without the spray setup.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
It is fairly common for a NASCAR driver to miss a shift and damage his engine. What does that suggest? Don't do it.

Terrible analogy. They hit that money shift where they go into 2nd instead of 4th. The engine is forced to rotate well past the 9500ish rpm rev limiter and often blows the engine. A rev limiter can't prevent a money shift, so it has nothing to do with revving in neutral.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Repost from here: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...instead-of-5th?p=240992&viewfull=1#post240992

Can anyone imagine a piston moving up then down, over 133 times, in a single second? A single up then down stroke takes just 0.0075 seconds. Imagine the forces involved? I wonder what kind of oil pressures are required to keep the parts from making contact? Shavings? With those numbers, if anything happens, it's going to happen split-second quick... not going to have any time... any chance to save it. People who do this, should keep in mind that race engines are frequently rebuilt. Depending on the level, it may be once a season (if it makes it a season) or even once a race.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
People who do this, should keep in mind that race engines are frequently rebuilt. Depending on the level, it may be once a season (if it makes it a season) or even once a race.
Besides the above, when they are built/rebuilt they are balanced/blueprinted out to milligram (maybe even MICROgram levels for F1!) levels, run multi-stage dry sump oiling systems which NEVER leave bearings without pressure/dry, and sometimes use specialized cylinder wall/piston skirt coatings which prevent wear/friction. ;)

(Of course, IF the sanctioning body rules allow all of the above.)