Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is revving to the limiter harmfull?

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
As title states I hear people do it all the time but always thought that it was bad. What's the truth about this?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
As title states I hear people do it all the time but always thought that it was bad. What's the truth about this?

The good old Italian Tune up...as long as you don't detonate when doing it...I see no harm no foul as long as the engine is in good running condition also.They have the Red line set to where the engineers felt comfortable it wouldn't grenade itself.....there probably is more Room in there to raise it to squeeze some extra horseys but why risk it?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Just revving in neutral I mean. Should have clarified that. Like to hear exhaust pops at a stand still.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just revving in neutral I mean. Should have clarified that. Like to hear exhaust pops at a stand still.

Do you have that option installed in a tune for your car?

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Just ots stg 2 tune.

felopr

not really to a certain degree imo
i know this sounds silly but the rev limiter stops the engine from over-revving (no shit lol).
over revving is really bad for the rotation assembly, aka" crack, valve, camshaft etc" if not taken the measurement to support that extra rev of the engine.
The stock engine rev line is set to 6300ish rpm and rev limiter is set to 6500rpm, that means ford "guarantees" that the engine can rev that high without engine damage.
if you rev it past that, you are at your own risk that the engine could take damage, for example valve float, or hit a valve into the piston.

TLDR: hitting the stock rev limiter from time to time while doing a pull, not really

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
No pop option.
Just hearing ppl do it all the time. I'd like to a couple times to hear my tbe once its on just wondering if it woukd be safe.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No pop option.
Just hearing ppl do it all the time. I'd like to a couple times to hear my tbe once its on just wondering if it woukd be safe.

There are tuners who can put that in a tune for you...mine does it upon decel most of the time and I like it....sounds ricey!

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Lol. Ricey.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've always heard/been told that free-revving an engine with no load on it (standing still in neutral) IS harmful, even up to the factory set rev limiter, and even when fully warmed up.

Whether or not this is the truth on modern rotating assemblies/valve trains lubricated by today's very high quality engine oils, is anyone's guess. [dunno]

Any power train engineers/engine builders on here to give a definitive answer?

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
I've always heard/been told that free-revving an engine with no load on it (standing still in neutral) IS harmful, even up to the factory set rev limiter, and even when fully warmed up.

Whether or not this is the truth on modern rotating assemblies/valve trains lubricated by today's very high quality engine oils, is anyone's guess. [dunno]

Any power train engineers/engine builders on here to give a definitive answer?
That's exactly what I have always been told but questioned weather that applies to newer engines.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
If you get valve float or other valvetrain harmonics and valve kisses a piston, all bets are off. The power with a stock turbo signs off at 5500 so what's the pernt.

felopr

If you get valve float or other valvetrain harmonics and valve kisses a piston, all bets are off. The power with a stock turbo signs off at 5500 so what's the pernt.
hybrids/big turbo dont die at 5500, by dyno graphs posted before, they can be run to 7k before they run out of breath...

It is fairly common for a NASCAR driver to miss a shift and damage his engine. What does that suggest? Don't do it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It is fairly common for a NASCAR driver to miss a shift and damage his engine. What does that suggest? Don't do it.
They redline at 9k and are designed to run high RPM for short periods of time. Our engine are designed medium RPM redline and are built with longevity in mind and fuel economy and a bunch of other earth friendly bark eater ideas.

There are tuners who can put that in a tune for you...mine does it upon decel most of the time and I like it....sounds ricey!

shhhhhhh

the pops make me smile, it makes me miss my 08 gt that would pop fireballs coming down from high rpm or on wot shifts with the ignition cut setup on my nitrous tune

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Hence my statement " stock turbo".
Even an upgraded turbo system would have me wary of screaming the factory bottom end, and maybe even valve train out to 7K+ revs every shift, whether or not many on here swear on their mother's lives it will not hurt anything, and do this on a minute to minute basis when daily driving their FiST. [nono]

IF I personally were to be having to shift consistently @ 6800+ revs to make power, it is time for a fully built, forged, balanced and blueprinted, knife-edged crank build. [wink]