Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta on Consumer Reports 2017 list

DaveG99

The fiesta has a lot of turn for the amount of input at the steering wheel.

OP
Wjones14
Thread Starter #22
I'm amazed at how 90% of the replies in this thread are about the turning radius. I'm pretty sure that is not the reason it made the Consumer Reports least reliable list this year. [:)] I'm surprised that no one has a CR subscription and could elaborate on CR's reasoning...

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the turning radius of the ST versus my BMW M235i (a relatively small car), and both cars are 35 feet. My 1st gen Mini is also 35 feet, though the steering ratio is a bit quicker than the ST. Mini is 12.9:1 while the ST is 13.6:1 (both are extremely quick).

Intuit

3000 Post Club
OMG I'm stunned that CR has a "foreign" vehicle at all on their list, let alone four. Stunner!!! They hate "domestic" name brand vehicles and almost always give others a pass.

Regarding the non-ST Fiestas, the automatic transmissions aren't torque-converter type automatic transmissions, so they neither feel or shift like them. But people expect them to. It's a computer shifting a manual trans. When they don't feel or shift like an auto trans, they think something is really wrong. To make matters worse, they get different stories from different dealers and mechanics about why it is different. They also get one or a few "OMG it exploded" story from another owner and from that point it's, "time to unload this thing."

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I'm amazed at how 90% of the replies in this thread are about the turning radius. I'm pretty sure that is not the reason it made the Consumer Reports least reliable list this year. [:)] I'm surprised that no one has a CR subscription and could elaborate on CR's reasoning...

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the turning radius of the ST versus my BMW M235i (a relatively small car), and both cars are 35 feet. My 1st gen Mini is also 35 feet, though the steering ratio is a bit quicker than the ST. Mini is 12.9:1 while the ST is 13.6:1 (both are extremely quick).
I think it’s safe to say that the FiST has been good to the majority of us. I also have an SE, which is DEFINITELY the least favorite of my cars. There’s a huge disparity between the two in regards to mechanical prowess. You’d think that the SE would be a solid base, but it’s really just a shell for the ST. It’s not that the SE is awful, but I would NEVER wake up and say “I want to drive the SE today.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zanethan

The FiST is a fairly reliable platform. I would venture to say that it will be much more reliable than a first gen mini. There's a guy on here with almost 200k on the clock. No major issues and only routine maintenance.

Yes there are some lemons out there but there are lemons of every car out there. Also keep in mind that those with issues are more vocal than those without. People on the forums don't make threads about how excited they are that their car started and did what was asked every day.

I came from a 2004 Mini JCW and i can tell you the Fiesta ST is much less reliable and less fun to drive. On paper the Fiesta may be faster but the Mini was much more fun. You should keep looking. I regret the day i got my fiesta.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Below is a chart from my CR subscription.

Fiesta CR.jpg

CR hasn't been valid since the 90's. Going from a MINI to ST will be a huge jump in reliability. MINI's are absolute garbage when it comes to reliability, though the R52 and R50's aren't as bad as later models. The turning radius is better than my MK6 GTI, if that matters. I say just drive one man, and see how you like it. Make sure you spend the extra money for the Recaro's!

me32

1000 Post Club
I came from a 2004 Mini JCW and i can tell you the Fiesta ST is much less reliable and less fun to drive. On paper the Fiesta may be faster but the Mini was much more fun. You should keep looking. I regret the day i got my fiesta.
I'm guessing you bought a used lemon??

Intuit

3000 Post Club
CR hasn't been valid since the 90's. Going from a MINI to ST will be a huge jump in reliability. MINI's are absolute garbage when it comes to reliability, though the R52 and R50's aren't as bad as later models. The turning radius is better than my MK6 GTI, if that matters. I say just drive one man, and see how you like it. Make sure you spend the extra money for the Recaro's!
Even then they were still pronouncing absolute junk as solid-standing just based solely on brand name. Manufacturers with solid histories sometimes put out a dog and conversely, manufactures with terrible track records sometimes get it right... but that wouldn't matter to them. From consumer products and electronics to appliances and vehicles, same pattern.

I had picked up a PC a couple of years ago. White new Mini sitting in driveway. Upon return next weekend, it was gone. Said the alternator went out and the replacement job was $1,200 out of pocket. She said she bought a warranty with the vehicle but couldn't find the paperwork so the dealer charged her for the work. She was still intent on finding that paperwork.

OP
Wjones14
Thread Starter #31
Below is a chart from my CR subscription.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. From that chart, it looks like the transmissions had minor problems reported from 2011 to 2015, but in 2016 had no reported problems. The transmission had major problems reported from 2011 to 2014, but there are fewer reported problems in 2015 and 2016.

If you look down the columns, 2012 was the worst with problems in almost every area. 2016 is actually the best year, with only 1 red problem area - body integrity - I wonder what that even means? Do body parts become loose and rattle, or worse?

Thanks again for providing the chart.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The chart for minor/major is identical except for 15+16.

"Body integrity" - I was wondering that also. When someone says "body" in the context of cars, I'm thinking "body panels" and core/frame parts. I don't recall running into any complaints or otherwise about either on these forums, regardless of year. They'll have to explain that one. I had a water leak because Ford was using windshields that had chips around the edges, apparently requiring additional sealant. Maybe water leaks get chalked-up in that area? But I've maybe seen three mentions of a water leak here?

Why they're showing "Not Applicable" for years prior to the redesign doesn't make any since to me. Did Ford somehow manufacture a car without a body, engine, transmission etcetera? They should've either not listed those years on the chart, or put "No data" instead. The Fiesta name goes way back to the mid-seventies per wiki.

Zissou

The chart for minor/major is identical except for 15+16.

"Body integrity" - I was wondering that also. When someone says "body" in the context of cars, I'm thinking "body panels" and core/frame parts. I don't recall running into any complaints or otherwise about either on these forums, regardless of year. They'll have to explain that one. I had a water leak because Ford was using windshields that had chips around the edges, apparently requiring additional sealant. Maybe water leaks get chalked-up in that area? But I've maybe seen three mentions of a water leak here?

Why they're showing "Not Applicable" for years prior to the redesign doesn't make any since to me. Did Ford somehow manufacture a car without a body, engine, transmission etcetera? They should've either not listed those years on the chart, or put "No data" instead. The Fiesta name goes way back to the mid-seventies per wiki.
They might have no data listed because they do not have enough data to validate findings.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Again, ether exclude those years from the chart, put "no data"... or state "not enough data". Stating "not applicable" implies that Ford did not produce a vehicle for those years... in which case and again, don't list those years. The Fiesta name goes way back to the mid-seventies.

Also keep in mind, that data should not be used to validate findings. This is counter to scientific methodology. A finding should be a result of the data, rather than the other way around. But I understand what you meant.