Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tracking on 215/35/R18

wil55n

What do you think of tracking the FiST on 215/35/R18 (18x7.5) wheels/tyres?
I've been given a promotional set, so the sizing is not by my choice but if I can track with it, I will.

Secondly, what size rims/tyres are people tracking with generally?

felopr

track? not worth it imo, tire/wheel weight compare to a 15,16 or even a 17 tire/wheel tire would put you at a disadvantage imo

felopr

sell the tires
buy 15 if you really srs of tracking
win?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If you were handed these, YES, try them out, but unless one needed them to fit over a HUMONGOUS 'tarmac rally' size brake setup, I would never purposely choose that size wheel. ;)

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The four little guinea pigs are going to have more inertia to deal with on a larger wheel. That means they'll require more torque to get the wheel up to speed within the same time frame, and work harder to slow the wheel down again. Then again my Father's GMC has either 18 or 19 and was danged surprised at how lightweight those wheels are.

If they're making some special claim about the wheels being as light as sixteens, it'll be interesting to see how much the smaller sidewall has improved feedback, if any.

Around here, would DEFINITELY have keep that tiny sidewall well away from normal roadways. Are ya'll Aussie roadways really that good?

codestp202

15x9-215/225 tire or 16x8-205/215 tire imo. Maybe both at a 45 sidewall.
Wouldn't 15's be a bad choice as you'd have to run a big ass sidewall, and you couldn't run larger brakes? I can get behind 16's and 17's for the track, but I've always seen 15's on these cars as rally size for big sidewalls

felopr

Wouldn't 15's be a bad choice as you'd have to run a big ass sidewall, and you couldn't run larger brakes? I can get behind 16's and 17's for the track, but I've always seen 15's on these cars as rally size for big sidewalls
hoosiers man, hoosiers lol

but all seriousness, you can run 15x9 225/50, sidewall is not that bad imo, just run a very tolerate heat pad like dtc70, remove fogs do air ducts, it can be done imo.
that or 16's with willwood

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The main reason that WRC TARMAC setups run 18s is to fit the HUGE brakes they need on grippy roads with sticky, semi-slick tires, at high speeds.

You can be sure that those 18s are made with the lightest materials/construction possible (probably as light as the lightest 15x8s everyone on here uses) but also strong enough to still be able to handle the road conditions of even the bumpiest tarmac rallies. ;)