Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need some thoughts on Shocks and Struts

I am going back and forth trying to decide on Bilstein B8 and Koni STR-T. I am lowered on ST suspension springs (ST suspension is the company to avoid any confusion) and I am really leaning toward the B8. I will start by saying I do not track the car and is a daily driver with some spirited driving in the mix.

I have heard the Koni make the front of the car feel like it is floating, but these were old reviews. I am not sure if Koni has changed the setup. I have also read that the rear shocks are pretty much have the same feel. So I thought about running B8 up front and STR-T in the rear. Anybody have experience with either or both? I would love to hear your thoughts.

I can't offer any advice on struts, but I am curious how you like the ST springs? They've been in my sight ever since Ron started carrying them. I'm in basically the same situation as you. I don't plan to ever track the car, just daily and spirited driving.

me32

1000 Post Club
I think over all the B8 will have better damping. I dont know anything about your brand of springs. Do you know th rates and how much they lower the car?

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #4
Suspension techniques springs are made by KW automotive. Drop is 1.2" in the front and 0.6" rear. The spring rates from what i have found have been 245lb progressive front and 250lb linear rear. I want to say I found somewhere a while ago that they were both progressive, but nothing listed. I like the Springs. It has been almost 2 years since they were installed so i don't remember much and I don't have much of a comparison, but to me they felt better than stock. I have the 2 point brace on the bottom and it is beat to hell, bit that comes with being lowered.

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #5
Compared to other spring rates of other brands, these are rather stiff. However, the ride is a little more composed. While some of the sharpness is there, hitting small bumps and what not, it is not unbearable and probably rides a lot like the stock setup with out the bounciness.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I would never consider the STR's since they're not designed for the ST, but for the regular Fiestas and as such the ride will be soft which some like, but there's a loss in performance compared to stock.

I have ST Springs paired with B8's.

I have B8’s and swift springs with 205/45/16 conti tires and it’s a great combo. No more bouncy bouncy unless the road is pretty bad and I’m low on gas. Flatter through the corners and less brake dive. Only thing I’d say was worse is when you hit those big dipps in the highway at speed it tends to crash and thud a bit but that might be because I didn’t trim the stock bump stops down

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #8
I would never consider the STR's since they're not designed for the ST, but for the regular Fiestas and as such the ride will be soft which some like, but there's a loss in performance compared to stock.

I have ST Springs paired with B8's.
How do you like the setup? I figured the Koni weren't specific to the ST from all that I have found, but I thought that paired with a stiffer spring might help with the softer dampening, at least in the rear, if in fact the springs are linear. I want smooth out some of the harshness, but do not want to sacrifice performance. I know how the car will respond with the current setup and I don't want to lessen it making it unpredictable.

koozy

3000 Post Club
How do you like the setup? I figured the Koni weren't specific to the ST from all that I have found, but I thought that paired with a stiffer spring might help with the softer dampening, at least in the rear, if in fact the springs are linear. I want smooth out some of the harshness, but do not want to sacrifice performance. I know how the car will respond with the current setup and I don't want to lessen it making it unpredictable.
I'm really happy with the setup. During the install I noticed the OE shocks cavitating when compressed and slow to rebound when uncompressing, you could hear and feel air bubbles on each stroke, unlike the B8's which were fluid. The ride is still very firm, but with the harshness smoothed out a bit.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Between those two damper choices, I would go with the B8s.

I would choose the single (rebound) adjustable Koni Sports over the B8s, but then I care much more about the actual handling, than daily ride comfort.
That being said, the Bilsteins ARE a very high quality product, and they are still in my consideration paired with the Swift Spec R springs. ;)

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #11
I'm really happy with the setup. During the install I noticed the OE shocks cavitating when compressed and slow to rebound when uncompressing, you could hear and feel air bubbles on each stroke, unlike the B8's which were fluid. The ride is still very firm, but with the harshness smoothed out a bit.
That is good to hear. It helps make my decision easier. Not that there is really much to choose from, unless you go coilovers.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Coil overs were never on my list for what I wanted out of the car. ST Springs are the best compromise before going full coil overs IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #13
Between those two damper choices, I would go with the B8s.

I would choose the single (rebound) adjustable Koni Sports over the B8s, but then I care much more about the actual handling, than daily ride comfort.
That being said, the Bilsteins ARE a very high quality product, and they are still in my consideration paired with the Swift Spec R springs. ;)
The koni sport are rather expensive for what they are. At that point, from a price and adjustability standpoint, might as well go to coil over to really have full control. If they were in the same price bracket as B8 this would be a though choice.

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #14
Coil overs were never on my list for what I wanted out of the car. ST Springs are the best compromise before going full coil overs IMO.

Coil overs would only be on my list if I want to run a meater tire to keep from rubbing. I move down to 16" wheels and run a 205/45, which helped with some of the bumps. Other than that it is just a car that I enjoy and overkill for a daily.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The koni sport are rather expensive for what they are. At that point, from a price and adjustability standpoint, might as well go to coil over to really have full control. If they were in the same price bracket as B8 this would be a though choice.
Yes, they ARE a little 'pricey', but their quality/longevity is usually MANY TIMES better than most of the Taiwan/mainland China made coil overs on the market for these cars.
(I had a set of their double adjustable {rebound AND compression INDEPENDENT of each other!} Sports on my Z28 with a GC coil over conversion, and they were trouble free for OVER 150K miles/12+ years of abuse!!)

I am hoping that Ground Control releases their coil over conversion 'kit' for the Koni Sports, since then we can have the best of BOTH worlds, and a full range of quality spring rate choices. ;)

Again, IF I just wanted an "install and forget it" worry free high performance setup, I would definitely go with the B8s and the Swift springs. [:)]

koozy

3000 Post Club
Coil overs would only be on my list if I want to run a meater tire to keep from rubbing. I move down to 16" wheels and run a 205/45, which helped with some of the bumps. Other than that it is just a car that I enjoy and overkill for a daily.
I have a set of 215/45/16 tires, just waiting for the 16x8’s or 7.5’s to mount them to. I think this will compliment the B8’s/ST Springs nicely. I like that both B8’s and ST Springs are German made.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have a set of 215/45/16 tires, just waiting for the 16x8’s or 7.5’s to mount them to. I think this will compliment the B8’s/ST Springs nicely.
IT WILL!!

Those (Rival S 1.5s or 615K+es?), on the Konig Dekagrams, with that suspension, will be KILLER!! [twothumb]

koozy

3000 Post Club
here's a wheel you don't hear people talking about that's an option, which is good because everyone and their brother run TD's. The tires on the cars in the photos are 195/45/16 for reference, the wheels are 16x7.5 ET38.

Attachments

OP
VuDoo
Thread Starter #19
I like those wheels. Mainly because they look different from everything else out there.

How much did you trim the bump stops? Any thing to look out for when installing? I am having the internal debate with myself when it comes to things like this [phonecall] I will probably grit my teeth and be ordering these tomorrow.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I like those wheels. Mainly because they look different from everything else out there.

How much did you trim the bump stops? Any thing to look out for when installing? I am having the internal debate with myself when it comes to things like this [phonecall] I will probably grit my teeth and be ordering these tomorrow.
I didn't trim the bump stops. I didn't have any issues installing the B8's, pretty easy and straight swap. Just be sure to tighten all of the fasteners completely. I used the new fasteners supplied by Bilsteins for the rear shocks. All I did was apply some lithium grease on the rods to allow the bump stops easy travel and some grease on the rear mount to prevent any possible squeaks. While I had the front struts apart I cleaned out and repacked new waterproof high pressure grease into the upper strut bearings. The top is open to the elements so small sediment can find a way into the upper strut bearings, which I found on mine. Pretty easy to take apart with a flat head driver to R&R them.