Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock Air Filter Fit In MP215 Airbox

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I have used K&N since 1973 including over 300K on my BMW 320 IS with no signs of undue engine wear or oil consumption. As long as you clean and oil it correctly you will not have problems. The reason Mountune specified it was the power increases and economy. Hwy is about 2-3 mpg increase depending on fuel on my MP-215 over stock.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
Now that it seems clear that the oem Motorcraft paper filter fits in the MP215 airbox, which one do people recommend/prefer with the MP215, the oem one or the oiled filter that comes with the Mountune kit? What's the reason for your preference?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
K&N for the economy, (a one time purchase), the additional power and 50 years of great performance from K&N for me. My BMW had over 300K when I donated it to a charity still running fine and a daily driver. Never any problem with burning oil nor oil on MAF's like those who seem to think more oil is better. I have never had a problem with dirty oil from so called poor filtering. Unlike paper filters performance does not drop off as rapidly when dirty, 3 years driving the AZ desert is torture on any air filter but the the drop in performance and economy was noticeable after about 4000 miles on a paper filter. After installing a K&N I went about 10000 between cleanings and increased MPG by 2 miles. My gas mileage went up almost 10% (3.2 avg. hwy) with the MP215 kit and I attribute lots of that to the K&N air filter and CAI on the Mountune air box. as it alone has improved mileage in most of my other cars. Over the years I have read the competitors statements about the filtering but with all the silicone intakes I have used and silicones affinity for dust clinging to it I have never noticed any in the intake tracts. Another old wives tale as my BMW proves the cylinders never saw a lot of dust and dirt in the intake tract. So we all have opinions....that is mine, my many years with K&N has been a positive put some money in your pockets experience for me. I also do not think Ford would use it and warrant the cars engine if they saw any problems with it as they sell it through Ford Performance. It would be stock on all of the performance cars if it did not require maintenance I am sure. And that alone is a consideration for owners, are they actually going to maintain it? With the number of people raising hell about having to check fluids on this Forum I would think that would be a big deal to some. It does take time to clean and re-oil.

dmb

sand in Arizona? sand will kill a motor in 1 hour. those of us who sand dune know. My O.T.R. Freightliner has a K&N dry filter. the oil change guys hate it when they pull it out and see they can't sell me one. because that is a big money maker for them.

Now that it seems clear that the oem Motorcraft paper filter fits in the MP215 airbox, which one do people recommend/prefer with the MP215, the oem one or the oiled filter that comes with the Mountune kit? What's the reason for your preference?
I went back to the stock filter with my MP 215 kit.
Use to use K&N's in all my vehicles but have stopped now.
I might have noticed a slight change in throttle response with the stock filter, but no change in power overall.
If I was going to track the vehicle I might put the K&N back in for the day.
Unless you have serious mods, the stock filter is totally fine in my opinion. Noticed no change in gas mileage with the stock filter back in.